Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 04:16:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redmond OR to Houston TX - Southbound and down  (Read 3618 times)
paulrobie

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »

Hey all... Flying up to Redmond Or. on Thursday to pick up our new to us MCI MC 9 bus from Oregon Charter Bus.... I will be taking what I hope is a good route, staying to the interstates the majority of the way, got my insurance WITH roadside assistance, GPS/Laptop/AirCard/ ready to go, maps printed (in case the GPS fails for some reason), CellPhone charger, 2 outlet inverter, 4 way splitter for 12 volt, phone help list printed, fresh oil change/lube/filters just done on the bus, seats removed by PO, 144 hour in transit permit from Texas, all Commercial markings removed or covered, sleeping bag and pillow and air mattress, winter clothes, basic tool kit, CB Radio, PO will provide an extra fuel filter, possibly a spare belt, printed copy of operators manual, a walk around pre-trip checklist and.... what am i missing? Any suggestions?

My wife, the witty one in this relationship has even come up with a name for the bus already.... It's corny but at the same time kind of appropriate, "JustTheTwoaBus" which is a take-off of what is, (again here comes the corn) our song "Just The Two Of Us" by Bill Withers...

Anyway, if I missed something please let me know as I still have a day and a half before I make my way to Redmond.... Thanks!

Organization is the sign of a sick mind..
1981 MCI - MC 9
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:01:46 PM »

Make sure to ask where you can get 12vdc on the bus - it may not have a handy outlet, but most MC9's have it in the main electrical bay.  Bring something to jury rig a cigarette lighter outlet, maybe.  10 feet of 10 gauge two-wire cable with a pair of 3/16" eyelets on one end  and the cigarette lighter outlet on the other end.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
paulrobie

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 02:08:50 PM »

Make sure to ask where you can get 12vdc on the bus - it may not have a handy outlet, but most MC9's have it in the main electrical bay.  Bring something to jury rig a cigarette lighter outlet, maybe.  10 feet of 10 gauge two-wire cable with a pair of 3/16" eyelets on one end  and the cigarette lighter outlet on the other end.

Brian

Right, forgot to mention that... Already done but thank you... There is a cig lighter that works and I have two rolls of primary wire, tape and cutters... (I am ABSOLUTELY SURE that my checked luggage will get the once or twice over from those TSA goons)...LOL

1981 MCI - MC 9
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 02:15:51 PM »

I don't know your route but this time of year you need to head straight south on 97 to 5 then to Barstow across head east and pickup up I 10 straight into Houston a little out of the way but the route going through Idaho,WY, and CO on to Houston can cause you a lot of problems this time of the year you may be stranded in the high plains for a week and it can get cold like -0 been there done that never again  

good luck
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:18:31 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 02:18:18 PM »

Man ... Kinda like MasterCard ... that is priceless.

BCO

paulrobie

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 02:21:11 PM »

BCO
What is priceless??

1981 MCI - MC 9
paulrobie

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 02:27:44 PM »

I don't know your route but this time of year you need to head straight south on 97 to 5 then to Barstow across head east and pickup up I 10 straight into Houston a little out of the way but the route going through Idaho,WY, and CO on to Houston can cause you a lot of problems this time of the year you may be stranded in the high plains for a week and it can get cold like -0 been there done that never again  

good luck

Looking at the ten day forecast (so far) it looks like the weather will be good and really trying to stay out of California if possible as I understand the fuel is higher there than elsewhere and it would add like, 3-400 miles to the trip.... Not sayin' I don't like a nice sightseeing trip every one in a while but really would like to get her home ASAP... However, all that being said, I will be on the weather like white on rice all along the way and can and will make adjustments as needed...

1981 MCI - MC 9
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 02:39:22 PM »

BCO
What is priceless??

Your first trip, all the precautions and preparation the sound of anticipation in your words.  That is priceless.  No matter how much you plan, no matter what you take, you are going to run into something you don't have, didn't expect, or count on.  It is impossible to plan for the unknown, we all do it, but it never works.

Perhaps it is all part of the grand design. 

(I have to stop now, I am starting to sound like Charlie Sheen)

God's speed, have a great trip.

Watch those right handers....

BCO

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 02:45:07 PM »

Just so you know you are crossing some 10,000 ft passes and it gets nasty on Elk Mountain with 70 mph winds blowing trucks off the road, only place I know to have a snow ball fight in July lol be careful OR is going to be the most expensive fuel add .25 a gal to the pump price unless you have the permit 

good luck

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 02:49:03 PM »

Looking at the ten day forecast (so far) it looks like the weather will be good.................

LOL, Paul. Not saying it won't happen, but we have hit a blizzard in July between Cheyenne and Rock Springs (I forget where exactly).

This time of year it sure can be fun. We were just out to WA in December. Great weather all the way, except for the way back. We were in a Rav4 (not the bus). Ice and snow started at the WY border, all the way to Cheyenne. Almost lost it coming up the pass into Cheyenne going east. Black ice, at 4am, was horrible.

Anyways, not saying the trip can't happen without a snowstorm. Just be ready.

FWIW

LOL, Clifford and I just crossed posts. Actually, I do think that is right where we hit that blizzard, no that he mentioned it. And the wind can be horrible out there. Just be careful. Oh yes, and I X2 what he said about fuel in OR. We try to avoid filling up there, unless it is on a reservation. 

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 03:04:22 PM »

If you plan on stopping for the night you better add starting fluid to your list and make sure you have good batteries

good luck

paulrobie

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 03:31:38 PM »

If you plan on stopping for the night you better add starting fluid to your list and make sure you have good batteries

good luck
Thank you! Starting fluid is something I never thought of... As for batteries.... {shrug) will be hard to get those on the plane,  Grin From what the man tells me, it should not be an issue but if it is I hope that roadside assistance will help.

Good call on the starting fluid... Thanks!

1981 MCI - MC 9
paulrobie

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 03:35:23 PM »

Looking at the ten day forecast (so far) it looks like the weather will be good.................

LOL, Paul. Not saying it won't happen, but we have hit a blizzard in July between Cheyenne and Rock Springs (I forget where exactly).

This time of year it sure can be fun. We were just out to WA in December. Great weather all the way, except for the way back. We were in a Rav4 (not the bus). Ice and snow started at the WY border, all the way to Cheyenne. Almost lost it coming up the pass into Cheyenne going east. Black ice, at 4am, was horrible.

Anyways, not saying the trip can't happen without a snowstorm. Just be ready.

FWIW

LOL, Clifford and I just crossed posts. Actually, I do think that is right where we hit that blizzard, no that he mentioned it. And the wind can be horrible out there. Just be careful. Oh yes, and I X2 what he said about fuel in OR. We try to avoid filling up there, unless it is on a reservation. 

God bless,

John

This applies to luvrbus as well.... Thanks ya'll, I just rerouted myself down through Cali and that is the plan of action at this point... Wasn't thinking about the elevations. used to live in Albuquerque, NM a while back and wasn't thinking about how treacherous some of those roads can be even in good weather, (crosswinds). Thanks again!

1981 MCI - MC 9
paulrobie

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 03:37:49 PM »

Just so you know you are crossing some 10,000 ft passes and it gets nasty on Elk Mountain with 70 mph winds blowing trucks off the road, only place I know to have a snow ball fight in July lol be careful OR is going to be the most expensive fuel add .25 a gal to the pump price unless you have the permit 

good luck
What permit?

1981 MCI - MC 9
paulrobie

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 03:38:50 PM »

BCO
What is priceless??

Your first trip, all the precautions and preparation the sound of anticipation in your words.  That is priceless.  No matter how much you plan, no matter what you take, you are going to run into something you don't have, didn't expect, or count on.  It is impossible to plan for the unknown, we all do it, but it never works.

Perhaps it is all part of the grand design. 

(I have to stop now, I am starting to sound like Charlie Sheen)

God's speed, have a great trip.

Watch those right handers....

BCO

Thanks!

1981 MCI - MC 9
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: