Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 10:55:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redmond OR to Houston TX - Southbound and down  (Read 3533 times)
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 03:41:52 PM »

Starting fluid is probably a NO GO on airplane. Buy it after you get there. Just don't let your excitement make you forget. Make a list of things to do before you leave. Rod

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 03:44:01 PM »

Got all your safety gear? fire bottle, flares, triangles, spare bulbs and the like Wink have a fun trip, TAKE PICTURES TO SHARE WITH US Grin

Van

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
paulrobie

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 03:50:21 PM »

Got all your safety gear? fire bottle, flares, triangles, spare bulbs and the like Wink have a fun trip, TAKE PICTURES TO SHARE WITH US Grin

Van

Going to get all that stuff up there, (probably will take me to the "back room" if I tried to bring that stiff on the plane ya know). And I will take pics... In fact video will be availible. I've got my webiste, (so far super secret stuff till I get ready to start the trip) and will be posting there and here. You know, I GOT to have a video from the drivers seat going down the road... just got to. My wife would kill me if I didn't..... If I didn't do it she wouldn't be able to post it on FaceBook and that would be bad (for me) on so many levels....  Grin

Organization is the sign of a sick mind..
1981 MCI - MC 9
paulrobie

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 03:52:28 PM »

Starting fluid is probably a NO GO on airplane. Buy it after you get there. Just don't let your excitement make you forget. Make a list of things to do before you leave. Rod

That is exactly what I plan to do... Thanks... (Oh, and by the way, lists are something I am VERY good at  Cheesy)

Organization is the sign of a sick mind..
1981 MCI - MC 9
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 03:54:11 PM »

Paul, since this is a bus charter company, DO NOT leave their lot until they walk you through a complete CDL daily inspection!!!  

The whole inspection is imperative.  There are lots of places to find the inspection process.  The air brake test is here:

http://www.lowestpricetrafficschool.com/handbooks/cdl/en/5/3

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 03:59:54 PM »

If you are heading south on the I-5 you will have to go through the Sykyous Pass on the border between Oregon and California. If the forecast is for snow there you will need chains as they won't allow you on the road without them-and from experience you wouldn't WANT to be on the road without them. Just a heads-up.

Good luck
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 04:21:47 PM »

Quote from: luvrbus
Just so you know you are crossing some 10,000 ft passes and it gets nasty on Elk Mountain with 70 mph winds blowing trucks off the road, only place I know to have a snow ball fight in July lol be careful OR is going to be the most expensive fuel add .25 a gal to the pump price unless you have the permit  

good luck
Quote from: paulrobie
What permit?

PUC = Public Utilities Commission permit! All commercial vehicles using OR hwys have a PUC # or have to pick up a permit @ the "Port of entry" and it doesn't apply to you since your not commercial anymore.
But don't worry it's not really saving them any $ either the cost of the permit is figured by the number of miles you are gonna travel in their state and equals the amount of rd/fuel taxes that you'd have to report and pay on your IFTA filings if yer were commercial!

SO that said if it were me I'd fuel it up in Redman or Bend, OR to the top, and then go down to Corning, CA (about 350 miles & right now showing to be the cheapest @ a reasonable amount of miles> remember this bus and you are knew to each other and this will give you an idea of how much it uses, gauge accuracy and a feel for when to fuel!) and top it back off! Then onto ...................Tulare, CA (again cheapest area along that rte/area & about 330 miles)
Grin  BK  Grin
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 04:25:36 PM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 04:30:59 PM »

Of course as going thru Fresno you should shout out to RJ Long! And Bakersfield - Don Fairchild and once you get to Needles - Clifford aka Luvrbus!  And fuel again near Clifford's or in Kingman! Opps my bad to get down to I-10 you'll wanna run on down 95 to 10 ! Fuel is real cheap in Bullhead City which is near Clifford!
Grin  BK  Grin
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 04:34:01 PM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 04:33:28 PM »

You can stay out of a California by going from Redmond to Burns, Or to Winnemucca ,NV to Fallon to Tonapoh,and head to Vegas on down to 10 in AZ

Battle Mountain,NV  Molson,Wa  Yuma,Az

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 04:34:57 PM »

Christi just loves that name for your bus. Be safe, M&C Grin
And I-15 to St.George, Ut and have a cup with us. Shocked
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 04:38:08 PM by Singing Land Cruiser » Logged

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 05:24:32 PM »

Redmond-LaPine-Lakeview-Susanville-Reno-Fallon-Tonapah-Vegas.  Good roads, no hills at all.  I go that way every year if it's not stormy. You only have a little ways in CA from south of Lakeview to just north of Reno.  Check for any forecast weather or cold at www.wunderground.com

Clifford, Oregon raised the fuel tax and PUC rate for commercial on Jan. 1 this year.  Add 30 cents to the pump price if you are not a PUC plated rig.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 05:26:59 PM »

In a previous post, I mentioned the MANDATORY pre-trip inspection.  The link I cited, was for the air brake and air supply system and ****MUST**** be done in preparation for your trip.

Equally important are the other pre-trip inspection procedures.  The following is at the same site, but different page:

http://www.lowestpricetrafficschool.com/handbooks/cdl/en/11/1

You will want to perform the 11.1 and 11.2 inspections.  The brake adjustment check in 11.2.3 is very important.  They mention checking slack on mechanical adjuster equipped vehicles, but it is really important to do that on buses with auto-slack adjusters as well, as they can go bad and the brakes could be way out of adjustment.  Too much slack and you will loose a ton of breaking capacity and you are going to go down some pretty good grades.  

Checking slack adjustment is not easy on a bus.  I would have someone apply the brakes and check the stoke on each side of each axle.  You should be able to see the slack from the side of the bus (laying on the ground) without crawling under it.  May have to use a mirror, but IT REALLY NEEDS TO BE DONE for first trip with this unknown bus.

If you need to crawl under the bus to do the brake inspection be sure to block the bus.  It will be hard to check the brake lining thickness without crawling underneath, but I think you might be able to do it with an inspection mirror on a extendable rod.

Probably sounds like I am preaching, but your life and others could be at stake.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 05:36:35 PM »

preach on Jim, Preach On!

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 05:42:26 PM »

OK, I will Cheesy

When you read the inspection procedures, you would think it will take you a day or two to do the inspection.  A trained person should be able to do it "by the book" in an hour or so.  The folks you are buying the bus from should be able to perform the inspection in their sleep Shocked Grin

An option is to take the bus to a person who is a private certified DOT inspector and ask them to perform a DOT inspection WITHOUT the formal paperwork.

Not only is this a safety issue, but it could also catch something that could shut you down on the highway.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2011, 05:56:08 PM »

Don't forget to find out where the spare tire is. If there is not one ask if they will give you one. Your road side will put a tire on for free even if not on the rim but they will not just give you one. Also go to your first fuel station and fill up. Get the address of where it is. At the next fuel stop type it into your gps. it will give you exact milage travelled. When you fill the bus up again you will be able to see how many gallons used for that millage. Everyone wants to know how well their milage is. It may be awhile before you get it out on a real trip again to measure it good. I hope they left one passenger seat in it for ya. Your wife will not be happy in a lawnchair that long Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: