Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 10:52:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions on Suburban for toad  (Read 2721 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 08:06:22 AM »

The newest Motorhome magazine has an article about braking systems for towds.  It has every type from motor, vacuum, and air activated.  The cheapest was the air operated with break away for about $800.00.  The advantage to this as compared to one you make from scratch, is if it fails and causes damage or injury, you can go back to the company and sue them, rather then being sued.  Just a thought.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 08:49:00 AM »

The newest Motorhome magazine has an article about braking systems for towds.  It has every type from motor, vacuum, and air activated.  The cheapest was the air operated with break away for about $800.00.  The advantage to this as compared to one you make from scratch, is if it fails and causes damage or injury, you can go back to the company and sue them, rather then being sued.  Just a thought.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom once again you are 100% correct and bring up a very real and good point! BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 09:22:15 AM »

[Why is trailer such a pain? Not disputing your opinion, just want reasons...LOL INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW

It's always raining when you want to load or unload a trailer or dolly.  And then you gotta take the trailer or dolly to the specified "trailer" parking area using the toad.  It can be a major PITA.  That's why most toads are on a tow bar.
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 06:40:43 PM »

Search the archives on this board and on BNO. Dozens of posts explaining difficulties encountered with trailers. BK's is only one of many that have been posted.
Richard

Richard: Searching for info would require real effort on my part, and, unlike you, I am not "driving" Miss Lazy, I AM Lazy!! Grin It is much easier to simply ask and have hundreds of unselfish and reliable folks like yourself answer my questions Smiley... When I grow up, I hope to be such a person Grin Grin

All joking aside, I guess I am not thinking in terms of campgrounds yet. Most of our excursions will be to friends & family in the beginning, and most of those have lots of room to park; just not much in the house, hence, the bus. I can see where a 40' bus, a 22' trailer, and a Suburban would be a problem unless they would let me rent two spaces in a campground.

Many thanks to all for your help!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 06:43:52 PM by oldmansax » Logged

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 07:39:00 PM »

Another thing to consider is what a resonable weight limit is hanging on the frame of an MC7, 8, or 9.  There is not really a place to attach a "load-leveling" hitch...without major engineering.    You'll just be spreading out the load on the cantilever and engine supports and levering the rearmost frame. 
The very best rationale for towing 4 down is that there is no vertical load on the bus.    It'll pull more than it will carry in the engine cradle area.   The engine and the steel at the rear of the bus "hang" on the upper frame members. 
Check your cradle and the frame around the cradle for cracks...you may have done this, and if not, you may be surprised at what you find.   The trailer and Suburban would be a good bit of weight, and the tongue weight would be prox to 10 or 15% of the combined weight of the Suburban and trailer.   Now bounce the load around a little and it becomes something to consider.  Probably not an ideal situation. 
Another perspective, JR
BTW, watch out for those big grassy pastures and yards....if the rains come up, you'll stay where you are!  Not sure about your bus, but I've had mine stuck in the front yard (horse pasture) on grass wet from dew.  We are talking flat here.  Buses don't do wet.  Be sure you know where the drain fields are too...don't ask how I know about this....I'm not very smart, but learn pretty quick from experience.   Huh

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 09:11:53 PM »

I want to pull a suburban four down behind my 4106. My hitch mounts to the engine cradle frame under the bumper. Do you all think that by not having the tongue weight of a trailer that this mounting point is strong enough?

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: