Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 15, 2014, 09:56:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't let her in that New Bus with Slides!  (Read 5257 times)
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 08:15:56 PM »

Ken worked in the R.V. repair business, and that was one of the most common problems on all the big rigs, the slides leaking. New ones, old ones, didnt matter. He also went on quite a few calls after hrs to help people out that had their slides out and couldnt get them closed. I personally would not want slides, but, I guess to each their own.  Grin

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 06:32:53 AM »

I can say I never had trouble with slides that wasn't a simple solution.  I have had no air leaks going down road or water. No water leaks in storms. But again I built my own and know the workings of them. Also have a plan B if they would quit working. Simple mechanical closing with a 1/2 ratchet.    Will admit while in Fort Wilderness a blowing rain went under slide awning (didn't come in coach) did not know there was a low spot on top(since remedied) and pulled in slide and took off. When I hit brakes here come the cold water down my back.  Curse or laugh? Just laughed and fixed problem when I got home.   So again it's a personal choice that comes with a new set of concerns just as a type of air conditioner or electronics system. Our bus is very functional with the slides pulled in. Would be just like one without slides.  So in the end do it your way!!  My slides are not of the S&S design and have allot less to go wrong. Happy bussing   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 06:50:11 AM »

Hey Bob,
Sounds to me like you just invented a new "driver alert system". LOL  Marilyn is still yammering about your kitchen island. I tried just mumbling something like, "yeah, it's alright if you like that sort of thing" but it didn't put her off. She just moved on to the slides and closets...You never should have showed her. She said something about needing to win the lottery.
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 07:53:17 AM »

Slides always seem to divide opinion - those without them convince themselves that they don't want them, and those with them gloss over the inherent problems.

I spent a very long time researching the various different slide-out designs and mechanisms, and concluded in the end that many of them must be barely adequate in terms of sealing. As it happens I am just at the stage of constructing the internal flanges for mine, which are the surfaces on which the compression seals will bear. The compression seal are probably 35 or 40 feet in length, and the fabrication accuracy required to get an even 'squash' over that whole length is immense; I have to believe that many new motorhomes leave the factory with the compression seals not even touching in places, which means that the wipe seals - which are not really meant to be fully weatherproof - are the only ones doing any work

However, I should stop talking now - my own slides aren't finished yet, so I don't know if I've done any better.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
MEverard

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 04:45:11 PM »

I guess I should consider myself lucky. I have a 1960 PD 4104. My wife does not want a huge 40' Motorcoach with slides and raised roofs. She loves Buster just the way he is and wouldn't change a thing.

Mike

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 08:41:32 PM »

Now she is looking at S&S Mega 5th Wheels with 3 and 4 slides. The Pain....THE PAIN>>>>>>>>>> Cry

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »

Now she is looking at S&S Mega 5th Wheels with 3 and 4 slides. The Pain....THE PAIN>>>>>>>>>> Cry

Take her to an RV salvage yard or a large wrecker service off a main interstate and show her what's left of those after an accident! (then remind her that the former owners of those didn't plan on being involved in an accident either when they bought them! Wink )
Grin   BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 09:05:33 PM »

She said it is only till we get back on the road and we will look for a pro. conv. bus till then Cry
If mama ain't Happy...

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 06:56:31 AM »

For the price that you pay for a 5th wheel you should be able to get a bus. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 08:47:38 PM »

The S&S 5th wheel she is looking at is 25G's. The bus she wants is 120G"s. We will wait on the new bus. Grin

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 12:39:41 AM »

Save yourself some cash! If she wants a flimsy 5th wheel with slide outs Im sure you could do it with pvc pipe and duct tape then maybe add some wall paper inside for looks. Hmmm, maybe even a bus barn could be built this way  Roll Eyes Grin http://www.ducttapecamper.com/

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
blank

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 10:54:48 AM »

Slides leak. They all leak, and everyone knows they leak sooner or later, break, quit, freeze, need maintenence, take up space, increase weight. The farther they go out, the farther they come in. Too far in and you cant get around inside without pokin em out. Ive convinced my wife we dont want one just by pointing out all the downsides. The ONLY upside is more floor space, and only when parked. Everything else is a downside. They are pretty when parked though.

Maybe soon they will aprove 9 foot wide Buses, with slides some could take up two camp spots for when the sucker pops open. A 45 footer 9 foot wide Bus with slides. That would be like a double wide motor home.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »

I almost let myself to your level. Your entitled to your opinion but make sure you know bus slides not sticks and staples.  Bob
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 12:55:41 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2011, 02:59:36 PM »

I have a 1998 34ft Camper sitting in my backyard that has a 12ft slide. It was damaged so bad from water leaking around the slide that the previous owner sold it to me for parts because it would cost a small fortune to rebuild. I've stripped basically everything from the inside (oven, microwave, dinette, some windows, fridge, a/c, water heater, sinks, 12V light fixtures, toilet, shower tub, converter, power panel, holding tanks and pump, etc) to use in my MC-9 conversion. I imagine if the slides are built right in a bus..and maintained, the chances of them NOT leaking would be a much better. I'm no expert but I would think the bus would be more ridged and not twist and flex as much as a Sticks & Staples RV therefore keeping a better seal on the slide.

Jimmy

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2011, 03:59:37 PM »

I'm thinking that slides in a better platform such as a bus have better chances of sealing. Couple that with someone like "Ole Man Glines's" experience and I seriously doubt he has any problems other than his first wetback experience!! I do have a buddy that has a 15 year old s&s 5th wheel with hydraulic slides and they work great yet to this day and it's still in great shape. Probably wouldn't be if it was running up and down the road a lot but the hydraulic slides are the only way to go.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: