Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 02:07:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8V92 won't start  (Read 4044 times)
Merlin

Run away before the kids come back home.

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2011, 12:50:04 PM »

Any suggestions to point me in the right direction on this vexing situation?  Here are the facts:
(1) engine has been running great nearly every day for several months ... started every time in about 1/4 turn with pre-heating
(2) aired up the bus with aux compressor as I normally do, bags were up and bus was level
(3) turned the key ... zilch ...
(4) tried the rear start switch and button ... zilch
(5) not a groan or any indication that the starter was trying to turn
(6) batteries are new (four months ago), and all cables are clean, tight and connections are well protected with Vaseline
(7) voltmeter tells me there is nearly 25 volts across the four batteries
(Cool batteries have always been connected to a battery minder that is claimed to keep them "stirred up"
(9) bus was properly shut down in neutral (Allison 5 speed), and air brake applied, tag axle down
(10) to be sure there is air in the system in case the aux compressor somehow did not get air to the controls in the engine compartment, I used an air hose to fill the rear air tank.  It seemed to be up, but just in case I did it manually.

Now what?

Starter solenoid problem?  If so how do I test it or better yet how to jump around it without frying myself or something else of value?

I'm writting this from an RV park in Alabama where there is no panic to get the problem cured but sooner or later, I think my wife would like to get on the road again.

We phoned the road service insurance people this morning and they promptly sent out a little guy in a pick-up with a tiny 12v battery to "jump start" the bus.  Sigh ...   Even after my careful explanation of the situation and the fact that the bus is 24v.  The perplexed road service guy was kind enough to give me a phone number of a fellow who might know something about 8V92's.  This is comforting ... especially the "might" part.

Such is the tale of bus ownership, I guess.

Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 01:47:13 PM »

I know this is the silly point but you did not say anything about checking the main power switch. Somebody may be playing a joke on you. If your not getting any noise from the solenoid you need to see if getting power to it when you push the starter button. If not trace it back to the batteries and find the disconnect. If getting power to it then you can bet the solenoid is not kicking in. Tap it with something and try again while tapping.
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 01:48:45 PM »

Do you have voltage at the starter? Do you have voltage at the engine master switch? Are you DDEC?. Fuses? Battery master switch? Sorry for the generalities, that is where I started when it happened to us...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »

Also move your gearshift lever back and forth a bit. Sometimes mine looks like it is in neutral but is just a hair off and the bus won't fire.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 01:54:47 PM »

In my bus there is a relay that switches power to the solenoid.  It's in engine bay electrical panel.  I don't know what bus you have so no idea where yours might be.

I would at least try jumping positive voltage to the activate terminal on the starter solenoid to see if the starter motor works.  If it does, start working backwards from there.  basically to that relay, then to the rear starter switch, etc.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 04:17:47 PM »

ck neutral switch on side of trans that wire has broken on my 1978 MCI   also in top front box under drivers window there should be a solenoid (like the old ford type) that supplies power when switch is turned on to big delivery post. should click when you move switch and have power to both sides.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 04:20:11 PM »

Chasis to starter grounds Huh
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:11:36 PM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
papatony

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 05:00:09 PM »

what year and make bus
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 05:19:33 PM »

same thing happened last year with ours.  i started it up and moved it back under the shade at walmart.  20 min later when fran arrived with the groceries, it wouldn't start.  Tried all the tricks, then called Coachnet.  Lakeland's Central Florida Bus (at my suggestion to Coachnet) showed up in about 1/2 hour and put in rebuilt started after testing a few things also.  and life was good again.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 06:02:15 PM »

We had a similar thing that went on for awhile.  It would start just fine one time and not the next,  usually when the engine was hot.  Turned out the wire that went from the relay on the bulk head to the starter solenoid  was bad.  Easy fix,  just took forever to figure it out.

Don and Cary
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
chart1

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 06:13:55 PM »

1.need to check voltage 2 turn the key while moving shifter back in forth slowly in the nuetral position. If there is power at the starter you should hear some kind of clicking if you have voltage. If it is the neutral saftey switch you will not hear anything.

1976 MCI 8
8v71/740auto
8" roof raise
chart1

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 06:14:48 PM »

where are you in Alabama.

1976 MCI 8
8v71/740auto
8" roof raise
gus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 07:22:40 PM »

You need to start at the starter and work forward.

You also need to let us know what bus and engine you have.

Starter relays seem to be the most common problem. As posted already, this is in addition to the starter solenoid. If the relay fails everything fails. You can jump across its terminals to find out quickly if it has failed.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
chart1

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 07:27:44 PM »

Yes a big heavy duty screw driver is the perfect testing tool if you have voltage at the solenoid.

1976 MCI 8
8v71/740auto
8" roof raise
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 07:35:35 PM »

No clicking and good  voltage check the small wire at the bottom of the solenoid it is supposed to be hot when the stater button is pressed they are bad about coming lose or breaking just another place for you to check

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: