Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 12:34:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8V71 Won't Start  (Read 4691 times)
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2011, 05:08:52 PM »

Haven't started the 8V71 for a couple of months, as it has been too cold to do anything here in PA.  Was going to take it to get brakes adjusted and an air leak fixed tomorrow, but.....it won't start!

It did start but ran only long enough to suck some of the fuel out of the new spin on filters. 

A little history is in order:  I was having trouble with the system losing prime, but figured it was my old canister type filters, so I switched over to spin on filters with new bases back in October.  I made one run to a campground about 45 minutes away, and all was good.

Today, when I start the engine, it fires right up, but then gets starved for fuel.  I pull the primary filter, and yes, it is only half full, so I fill it up right to the top.  I check the secondary, and it is down a little too, so I fill it up also.  I get back on the starter and it spins over, but won't fire.  Previous times when I had this problem, it would start after the filters were filled.  I kept trying till I noticed the starter slowing down--which means I knocked down the batteries a bit.  The charger is now on the batteries, hoping I can get them up to par so I can try again in the morning.

First I am confused about how it would lose prime, and second why it won't start after filling the filters?

Do I need to use a funnel and  fill through one of the ports on the filter base until fuel gets back to the tank?  I My fuel gauge tells me that nobody "borrowed" a significant amount of fuel so I don't think fuel is a problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
73 GMC 4905A-333

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 06:01:04 PM »

. . .A little history is in order:  I was having trouble with the system losing prime, but figured it was my old canister type filters, so I switched over to spin on filters with new bases back in October.  I made one run to a campground about 45 minutes away, and all was good.

. . .First I am confused about how it would lose prime, and second why it won't start after filling the filters?

Hello PA,
Given the described history I'd bet on a bad check valve or an air leak on the suction side of the system.
Pull the supply line from the primary filter's out port and see if backward flow to the tank is checked, or blocked. Easy, just a little pressure, don't blast it with shop air.

Same pressure testing technique applied before the check valve will possibly hopefully make any air leak noticeable. The supply pump's shaft seal is another potential leak source.

Not immediately starting after simply filling the filters is because the supply circuit to the injectors is still dry.

I'll mention that it takes a while for fuel to soak into filter elements to completely fill a filter for priming. A utility hand-pump that will pull a vacuum makes a very effective system primer. Connection point depends on what's accessible; sometimes a gauge port on top of the filter housing; sometimes the return line, but then you're pulling through the fuel pump, anyway, it still works.

good luck
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 06:07:14 PM by TedsBUSted » Logged

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially 04 or 06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
rampeyboy

1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 06:37:30 PM »

I had a heck of a time starting mine at first. My filter was full, but the thing obviously was getting no fuel. The line before and after the filter was dry, but the filter full. Strange. Anyway, I finally broke down and put an electric inline pump on the thing. I ran it a few minutes until I had fuel coming out of the line at the filter, reconnected that line, and then ran the electric pump more. I thought that should do it. Nope. Ran the electric pump a while longer. Tried again and finally it took off and ran. Has been ok since. I left the inline electric pump in place in case it ever happens again!

Boyce

Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227
gus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 07:46:48 PM »

I agree with Ted, my check valve failed and the exact same thing happened until I repaired it.

I'm going to install and electric pump just like Boyce in case this ever happens again, probably at a very inconvenient time!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
pabusnut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 08:02:06 PM »

Thanks guys!

I guess I will have to find that check valve and fix replace it just to get it to the shop.

Does anybody know where I can get a small 24VDC inline pump?  I just noticed yesterday that my 'New to Me-2006 Jeep Liberty CRD has the little "thumb pump thingy" right on the side of the fuel filter housing.  Novel Idea. 

I wish I could find  one of themanual pumps that were rumored to be on early Macks.

Steve Toomey
pabusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 08:11:24 PM »

Thinking out of the box but some common sense. Why a 24 volt pump? Probably something you may need for 20 seconds a year. Plumb in a common 12 volt pump and jump it with your house batteries. 

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
pabusnut

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:44:58 PM »

I guess I didn't think about a 12V pump?!  I could basically use a "long extension cord" to get to the batteries in a pinch, or use the toad battery.

PAbusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
chart1

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »

My generator has a electric fuel pump. I carry a spare for it got it at Napa. I have never had a fuel problem yet. But that is probably why, I carry a spare.

1976 MCI 8
8v71/740auto
8" roof raise
papatony

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 03:46:45 AM »

You have  12 volts at your starier or gen.  A 5 ft. cord and a couple of clips and you are in buss.
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 06:59:18 AM »

You have  12 volts at your starier or gen.  A 5 ft. cord and a couple of clips and you are in buss.

I would guess he's probably got 24v if he was asking about 24v pumps.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 07:15:11 AM »

Plenty of other thing will cause a loss of prime besides the check valve I never had a check valve on my Eagle installed  one 65 bucks from DD it still lost prime chased in down it was a hose removed the check valve it's still doing ok as far as I know.
Invest you money in a inline flo/through pump for 70 bucks

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 05:08:38 PM »

Are all electric pumps flo-thru, seems to me they should be but is a small auto electric pump large enough for a bus flo-thru??

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Greg Smith
GREGOOSE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 12:50:58 PM »

Yes. I've been running my 8V71 on a NAPA 12v fuel pump for 3years and no problems.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here, we might as well dance.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 03:42:31 PM »

Greg, thanks. Do you have it inline or is it set up in parallel?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
rampeyboy

1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 06:27:34 PM »

Guys, I had this one,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATX-E8012S/

and put it inline to prime my 8V71. It worked fine for that purpose. It is still in place, but not hooked up. The mechanical pump seems to pull through it just fine, but I have only let the engine run at home..not road worthy yet....

Boyce

Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: