Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 04:01:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tried to start the new to me 4103.....no go  (Read 6827 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2011, 03:02:28 PM »

I tried starting fluid about 4 short blasts 2 or 3 different times directly in the air intake while cranking the engine over (removed the hose from the air filters) while making sure the emergency shut off was open....It did not even hit nor did I get any smoke at all out of the exhaust... It did make a slight knocking sound when I put the starting fluid to it., same sound I have heard when using starting fluid on tractors...but did not try to fire.

The injectors are in the down position,  Paul and I talked today and he suggested that the first time I cranked it with the valve cover on the injectors were pushed down and stayed down due to some crud in them. This makes logic to me. 

I sent Dallas an e-mail about my problem, he said he would call in a day or so...

Rick
I'm not sure what you mean by "air intake" but ether on my 6-71 is injected into a bolt hole  9you remove the bolt and spray) Shooting ether into the air intake (before the filters?) is a little too far away to be effective for starting or diagnoses.

gus

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2011, 07:13:30 PM »

zub,

That bolt hole should be in the top of the 671 air box. It originally had a small cup into which was inserted a plastic capsule of ether, when the lid was closed a sharp point inside the cup punctured the capsule and the ether was discharged.

According to the driver's manual he was then to stroll casually back to his seat and hit the starter switch. Some small delay is important. I've tried it immediately after spraying the ether and it doesn't work as well as after the small delay.

This system requires only a tiny bit of ether. I would guess, I haven't tried it, that spraying into the air intake takes quite a bit more ether, especially if it has to go through the air filter.

Even on my small generator engine there is quite a delay after ether is sprayed into the air filter before it fires.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2011, 10:12:13 AM »

Update on starting the 1952 4103,

After a couple of months of being too darn busy in the spur shop to look up I took a couple of days off and pulled the injectors, all 6 were stuck a lot of WD-40 and PB Blaster and several hours of working them back and forth they were free, just installed them, bled the fuel lines and I have a running 671......Nothing like it!!

Off to town for more diesel  Sad some antifreeze, oil and filters and hope to take her on a short run down the road in a day or so if brakes check out and she builds air and I can shut her down from the cockpit.

Found some receipts from the previous owners trip from Tulsa to NW Arkansas looks like a little over 20 years since she ran last.

Just wanted to thank all who helped and post the reason she did not start on my previous attempt. Maybe this thread will help someone down the road...

Bought a set of 671 tune up tools on e-bay a week or so ago so will try and give her a tune up, I have a local former DD mechanic to help me run the rack and the best thing is  he works for cold beer. I went to high school with the guy and I knew he used to have a truck repair shop but just found out a couple of weeks ago he worked on a lot of Detroits over the years.

Life is good...

Rick
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:14:01 AM by Rick59-4104 » Logged

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
blank

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2011, 08:34:22 PM »

Update on starting the 1952 4103,

That is awesome news Rick. After I get back I'll have to make plans to come see it. Maybe I'll drive mine over, lol.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: