Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 24, 2014, 04:41:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Southbound and down - Part 2, the trip home  (Read 4048 times)
paulrobie

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2011, 04:31:48 AM »

Good morning all... It's gonna be a great day! Going to try to keep this breif as I am about to start driving home day 2. Heres the run down: Flew to Redmond, OR on Thursday, met the PO of our new bus Friday morning, went out to inspect the bus, seats were removed as he said he would do, had an independent mechanic meet us on site, bus checked out great, fired up cold no problems, mechanic gave me a green light, (will need a new tire up front.... in about 5 months of solid driving!), to it for a test drive with the PO, he gave me the run down, he drove into town, I drove back, payed the man and at  about 12:00 PST I was on my way.

Stopped in La Pine, Or. for fuel, (126 gallons to "top it off"), ate some lunch and hit the road again. Took it slow, stopped every 100 miles to check it out (but at this rate I can probably cut that back to when I get fuel, just nervous ya know).

Stopped early for the night as it had been a long day, (and I could use a cocktail or three). Currently in Anderson CA, it's 4:30ish in the morning, grabbing a shower, packing up the bus and hitting the road!

Here is a video of the walk around and a second of driving the bus.

if I did the insert video wrong, sorry, here are the links:
MOV04989.MPG
and
MOV04999.MPG

Will not be checking this till next overnight stop... Email is happening on my phone though so tell me what ya think.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:45:11 AM by paulrobie » Logged

Organization is the sign of a sick mind..
1981 MCI - MC 9
brando4905

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 04:43:46 AM »

Paul,

That sure is a clean looking MCI! Good job, safe travels.

Brandon

1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan
rampeyboy

1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 04:45:47 AM »

Looks like a nice MCI! Keep us updated on your trip status!

Boyce

Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227
paulrobie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 04:47:34 AM »

here is a link to my driving schedule:

http://cid-ce003f95f7d9475f.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Anderson%20to%20Houston.htm

when you het on that page, just click on the icon that looks like a page with the world on it.

1981 MCI - MC 9
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 04:52:59 AM »

Nice looking MCI. Welcome to the madness.

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 07:58:37 AM »

Nice looking MCI. Welcome to the madness.

Paul, good choice!  Nice looking bus.  The video's were super.

BCO

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 08:13:09 AM »

Nice looking bus-now the fun begins.  One suggestion-when you do the conversion-do it the way you want it the first time.  I have a friend that bought a 102A3 that's a nice bus with a 8V-92TA in it.  He's done a "temporary" conversion using old funky chests of drawers bolted to the wall and using the old bus bathroom.  It has been several years and he still hasn't gotton the bus done.  So the "temporary" furniture has become the using furniture on the road.  Some just can't wait to get on the road-be patient-it is much better to git-r-dun right and then enjoy your conversion when done right.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 08:16:49 AM »

You hit a good window in leaving Oregon, there is snow on the ground in La Pine this morning. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Kevinmc5

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 11:15:58 AM »

Nice video and clean looking bus. Hope to see more. Thanks for letting us in on the ride. Safe traveling.

1964 4106-2471 8v71 Boise ID Driving any place I can Fit
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 11:30:03 AM »

Nice lookin bus! Good for you! I know you gotta be very happy! What MCI is this, a 5 or 9 or whatever? Im not too familiar with them but I like the way the bay doors open and close on yours. Is that factory? For my transit, I have to put bay doors in later down the road and have been exploring ways to open and close them....

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 12:47:34 PM »

Nice clean looking bus.... Enjoy the Ride!!!!

Jimmy

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
2xclutchin

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 08:50:36 PM »

Happycamper - If you watch in the video the owners manual is on the seat and it says 9. I wouldn't know any other way but thought I'd let you know my observation.
Paul - Thats a nice looking bus! Safe Travels!
Mike

Nothing beats a 2-Stroke
1952 MoPac GM PD-4103-1353 6-71 DD 4 speed
Work in progress
Thief River Falls, MN
paulrobie

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 09:01:17 PM »

Paul,

That sure is a clean looking MCI! Good job, safe travels.

Brandon

Thank you sir

1981 MCI - MC 9
paulrobie

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 09:07:43 PM »

Nice looking bus-now the fun begins.  One suggestion-when you do the conversion-do it the way you want it the first time.  I have a friend that bought a 102A3 that's a nice bus with a 8V-92TA in it.  He's done a "temporary" conversion using old funky chests of drawers bolted to the wall and using the old bus bathroom.  It has been several years and he still hasn't gotton the bus done.  So the "temporary" furniture has become the using furniture on the road.  Some just can't wait to get on the road-be patient-it is much better to git-r-dun right and then enjoy your conversion when done right.  Good Luck, TomC
Damn, and I been going round the neighboorhood picking up some of the good stuff people throw away.... Guess I'll just have to pitch it all and do it right! HAHAHAHA..... (can you tell I just drove in rush hour, on a SATURDAY, in L.A., no.... maybe it's the maniacal laughter HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA), oh, and whats wrong with the bus bathroom? If I can squeeze my fat as* in there anybody can and, it's all nice and shiney and all, (jeez, just can't please some people)  Wink

1981 MCI - MC 9
paulrobie

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 09:31:50 PM »

Hey all, thanks for the comments, appreciate them all though my video skills leave something to be desired, (that whole laying down sideways at the end of the first video just DID NOT WORK) just wanted to show off our new baby.. I was like SO hyped it wasn't even funny!

Now as I sit here in beautiful Palm Springs, (long story, my GPS is less than my friend right now), at the luxurious Motel Six, (they left the light on) sipping that oh so tasty Vodka and Cranberry, reflecting on the UTTER HELL driving through L.A. was on a freaking Saturday no less was, I can honestly say that I WILL NEVER DRIVE THROUGH L.A. AGAIN.... EVER... NOT EVEN IF YOU PAYED ME CASH MONEY, in a new to me bus.

After 2.5 hours o go maybe 40 miles, well lets just say FULA....

Other than that the ride was great, (did I mention except for LA), this bus is a runner! I'm gonna have to put Nike's on it instead of tires! 65, 70 handled t all no problems. Not a hic-cup (so far), no weird noises, no holy shi* moments, (except for LA but I think you get the gist of that story, the LA Story). Hold on, my cocktail is empty, be right back....

Ah, much better now... anyway, bus runs great, it's been a long day and so far, all is well in busville. A little loose in the steering but not sure yet if thats from the 81 steering set-up as opposed the the modified steering in the 82's but we shall see once I get her home...

Thanks again for all the comments and I will keep you posted! Oh and on the weather, I made the final call on weather (get it thats a joke son...) or not the weather was better going west then souuth or straight south than east.... South than east won out..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 09:33:26 PM by paulrobie » Logged

1981 MCI - MC 9
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: