Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 12:58:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KEEP ON KEEPING ON  (Read 5398 times)
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2011, 04:27:41 AM »

With the advance of technology one thing disappeared (well a lot of things disappeared) but there is this one thing in particular and that was the little bell that dinged every time a gallon of fuel went into the tank.  I kind of miss that.  But then again, I am an old coot, and I miss a lot of things.  It makes me think of that movie, “It’s A Wonderful Life” where Jimmy Stewart’s tells his little girl, “every time a bell rings an Angel gets his wings.”

Now days when I stand there next to my pig iron pony and I watch a gallon go down the chute, I think of that, in my mind I hear the little bell and I think to myself .... “Another Oil Executive just died.”

Hey it works for me

Most of the noise on the boards here lately seems to be about the diesel situation, as usual, everyone is up in arms, desperately seeking a solution to the fuel issue.  Bus Boards are an interesting haunt on a slow day, every conceivable idea or thought in the world can often be found there.  But the bottom line is ... Aint much you can do about it.  My Daddy used to refer to this as “Tilting At Windmills” or in other words, “deal with it.”  

What is the big deal, you have to pay, there is no alternative, why get all worked up about it?

Several people have inquired of me, “What does your bus do on fuel (MPG)?”  I just kind of shrug it off.  Why bother to talk about it or figure it, doesn't change anything, you still have to pay them to fill up.  Regardless of what it costs.  

Which brings us to Bio-Fuel ...  Which is a good deal “locally” but I don’t do a lot of bus traveling locally.  I like the road.  My hat is off to those resourceful folks who know how to refine it and all that, good for you.  But it isn’t going to work for me.  Some of it is pretty off the wall ... I like this “stop along the way and ask restaurants for their used waste oil" so that you can make this magic elixir that is going to get you down the road dirt cheap.

The last thing, the absolute very last thing I want to do on a trip, is cook up some witches brew out of a fifty gallon drum to get me down the road less than 300 miles.  Okies already have a bad reputation, no sense in expanding on that by begging for french-fry residue at a fast food joint.  Fuel might be high, but I certainly do not have the discretionary income available “to hire a tanker to go along with me” on a trip to the frozen tundra.  Just kind of unrealistic in the scope of things.  I have stopped at Willies in Waco, he sells bio-diesel, but I did not buy any.  The food however is exceptional, good place to eat, if you are in the neighborhood.  

Here is another one that caught my interest.  Aux. fuel tanks.

I get a kick out of these folks who are going "to install a 100 gallon aux. fuel tank" to make it to the cheaper fuel.  First off, a 100 gallon tank is a pretty good sized item, where you gonna put it?  Secondly, "there is no such thing as cheaper fuel" not anymore there isn't.  You might make it to a different location, but it is not going to be cheaper, lower in price possibly, but it is still going to be expensive.  

For the record, we run about a 65 gallon tank (pulled her washer out to install that awhile back, and then the (ahem) discussion started) it is in the last bay, and we top it off at about 60 gallons, that is all you need.

Our lifestyle will change now, I am sure.  First off.  We are going to adhere to the "half-tank rule."  A long time ago, outside or Birmingham Alabama, I ran out of fuel and it cost us a lot of money to fix all that went wrong with the coach trying to stretch it to a fuel stop (missed by 4 miles is all).  Now we buy it at a half of tank, regardless.

It doesn't seem to hurt as much that way either, just hand them two or three 100's and top it off or try and get as close to the top as you can.  Run another 400 miles, do it all over .... makes you stop at least once per day for fuel somewhere too.  85 gallons opposed to 225 gallons will make a big difference in my attitude let me tell you.

Screw the oil companies!  We are not stopping traveling in this fashion, we love it, and will continue.  We may not do as much as before, but then again, it is time to slow down and enjoy life anyway.

Today finds us a little used up and slowly moving into in our sunset years. The wife and I, like a lot of you, find ourselves basking in the glow of it all, albeit somewhat cranky at times, the senior years.  For now, the most immediate change I can think of is, I am going to cease bitching and complaining about it, just go on with the game plan and take my lumps, like everyone else.  

My bride asked me just yesterday, "What are you going to say to them in Cody, Wyoming next August, when they bring up the topic of fuel?" (and they will ... trust me) I just smiled my toothy smile and said, "I will just tell them this ... If you cannot run with the Big Dogs, best to stay on the porch" and then just leave it there.  

Buy the way, you need to get up there, lot to do and see in Cody, Wyoming.  Neat place.  The Bus Club has a link;  http://www.eaglesinternational.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2069&sid=cee911814aedf62909dd6c328495b3b5  I could not find one here, but I am sure they might list it here as the date becomes near.

We worked way too hard to build it, get it into roadworthy shape and good condition to just sell it off because of things out of our control.  We don’t have a lawn, so making a lawn ornament out of it is not a viable option.  Nope.  We are keeping ours, they can deal with it at the Estate Sale.  

Too much emphasis on the money here lately, most everyone wants to talk about what it costs, the ultimate expense of it all.  It is all relative, just depends on how you look at it.

Fly from New York to Seattle, load up on a Cruise ship, do Alaska for two weeks or so.  Ride the train in Yellow Horse, do the Yukon thing, Dawson the whole nine yards.  Fly back home and show everyone the slides and the trinkets.  Then add it all up ... About the same as fuel, who knows, maybe more?  Works the same way with Hawaii, Miami, just about anywhere else.

No free lunch in this country ...  If you want to dance you have to pay for the band.

See you in the fast lane ... We might not be stylin on the boulevard as much as before ... but we are still going to be out there.

BCO
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 04:50:22 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:36:18 AM »

That's exactly how I feel. The price of diesel is what it is and not going to go down. I have waited all of my life to see this beautiful country in our coach, it might take longer but we will! The overnight stops might turn into weeks at a time, but it's all good!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 04:41:35 AM »

That's exactly how I feel. The price of diesel is what it is and not going to go down. I have waited all of my life to see this beautiful country in our coach, it might take longer but we will! The overnight stops might turn into weeks at a time, but it's all good!

Paul

My, my, you are up early this morning Amigo.  Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it.  We are going to keep going and blowing, Chavez and all these speculators "can kiss the part of me that goes over the fence last."

BCO

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 04:59:38 AM »

I agree.  We are presently at a private bluegrass jam about 175 miles from our place. We will be here a total of 2 weeks then back home for 2 weeks before starting our annual trip in our coach (last years trip was a little over 6000 miles and 8 months). This year may or may not be as long and we may spend more time parked and less time on the road, but we will go and have a good time. It's all about attitude, think positive and always make the most of what you have, don't fret about what you don't have.  Jack
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:23:28 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 05:17:00 AM »

I agree.  We are presently at a private bluegrass jam about 175 miles from our place. We will be here a total of 2 weeks then back home for 2 weeks before starting our annual trip in our coach (last years trip was a little over 6000 miles and 8 months. This year may or may not be as long and we may spend more time parked and less time on the road, but we will go and have a good time. It's all about attitude, think positive and always make the most of what you have, don't fret about what you don't have.  Jack

Thank you Jack.  That is the name of the game "all about attitude, think positive and always make the most of what you have, don't fret about what you don't have."  (Two of the biggest disappointments in life, wanting what you do not have, and getting what you always wanted)  Good way to look at it.

Perhaps some day our paths will cross and we will meet up in some out of the way place.  Waiting on a payday.  I sure hope it is not in an airport.  Can you imagine what would happen in today's paranoid society if I were to say "Hi Jack" in an airport?

I shudder to think of it.

Thanks for your reply.

BCO

papatony

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 05:29:05 AM »

The best mpg question was about a v w rabbit ( just out then)  I don't know  I filled it up when I bought it and so far I haven't had to add any fuel. I've only had it three years."
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 05:32:25 AM »

The best mpg question was about a v w rabbit ( just out then)  I don't know  I filled it up when I bought it and so far I haven't had to add any fuel. I've only had it three years."

We had a guy at work buy a Toyota and every day, when he left the yard, we would sneak over and add one gallon of fuel to his tank.  We did this for several weeks, which of course, lead to some really interesting conversations in the lunch room.

I don't think he ever caught on, come to think of it.

Thanks for your comment.

BCO

papatony

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 06:11:30 AM »

Undecided ;)I look at it this way: I can drive to central Fla. rent a spot stay all winter for less than it would cost to stay home and put up with the weather. Now that is a plan ( A Team)
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 06:14:14 AM »

BCO

Very well said.

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 06:27:06 AM »

Don, you know Jones owns all the copyrights on that model 15 don't you lol wake up Larry I see big bucks here, for diesel  it just takes a little longer to build the travel funds it never stopped us when it went to 5 bucks the last time but there was a lot of tears parting with 900 to 1000 bucks a pop
You guys looking for a bus now is the time buy and pray fuel goes down  

good luck
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 06:37:52 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Depewtee

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 06:38:58 AM »

If you cannot run with the Big Dogs, best to stay on the porch

One of my philosophies of life.... It would look good painted on the back of my bus!

Brian Shonk
Fort Walton Beach, FL (Florida Panhandle)
1981 Prevost LeMirage Liberty Coach
1984 TMC MC-9
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 06:43:20 AM »

Great post, I am still in my mid 50's, retired once as a USPS Postmaster in a small local Post Office but am still working. I drive a truck on a USPS Contract Route and have a shop where I build Cowboy Bits and Spurs and saddle stirrups on the side. One thing I can't do is control what I pay for fuel, one thing I can do is crank up my production in the shop and cover the extra cost of fuel I use in the buses so I consider myself blessed.

I will not let the high cost of fuel stop me from enjoying the buses, there are lots of places I want to go to and see and camp at that are within a couple of hundred miles from me..

Rick

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
blank

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 06:43:41 AM »

Re:Aux fuel tanks

I know you mean well, but please allow other men to think differently. While im more or less with you on the French Fryer Fat Fuel, carrying more capacity aboard is not a bad idea, especially when your heading off on a trip over 12,000 miles, and into very remote areas.

As far as taking up valuable space, I would far rather have another 100 gallons of fuel when im in the middle of nowhere, than a lot of the more useless crap other people carry along. Washers and dryers? Chest Freezer? 8X12 bathroom with a claw foot tub?

I mean, if someone wants to start criticizing what anyone else thinks is useful or practical, as useless or unnecessary to drag around in a Bus, something thats pretty much useless and unnecessary to begin with, make sure your own door step is swept clean beforehand.

When (not if) fuel reaches $6 gallon, a 12000 mile trip (at 8 mpg) would burn approximately 1500 gallons of fuel, and at a cost of more than $9000. If I can top off the tanks before hand, say a month or two before, and hopefully when the price is down ($5.49?), I am starting out with approx 2000 miles of range and $1500 banked, that I dont have to blow before heading out. My first fuel stop may not be until Washington state, or Montana. I may have enough range to cross entirely through Canada without ever buying their fuel, or very little.

On the back side, coming home, and provided fuel burn estimates hold, I can top off somewhere 1500 miles or so out, and roll home on almost empty tanks. Then I can worry about filling up again at my leisure, and as funds become available.  All told then, I could offset approx $3000, or have that money in reserve if needed, and I only need to provide fuel for an 8,000 mile trip, rather than the full 12,000 miles.

If long range and aux fuel tanks didnt make sense, coast to coast interstate trucks, and airplanes, wouldnt have them. I can positively assure you, that a Cessna 172 (and any other aircraft) with long range tanks, is much more valuable, and in much higher demand, than thier short range counterparts. At $1 or 2 a gallon none of it really mattered. But as the costs climb, and as fuel economy drops through manipulated fuel chemisty, longer range starts to make much more practical sense.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 06:44:02 AM »

GMC guys favorite motto every GMC guy in Quartzsite has that some place lol

Life is short drink the good wine first
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 06:54:54 AM »

Undecided ;)I look at it this way: I can drive to central Fla. rent a spot stay all winter for less than it would cost to stay home and put up with the weather. Now that is a plan ( A Team)

This winter it was awfully hard to find a place where it was not cold.  Florida is nice, I have some friends that go there every year and they are much like you, they love it.

BCO

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: