Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 12:48:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KEEP ON KEEPING ON  (Read 5119 times)
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 06:55:35 AM »

BCO

Very well said.  Giving you our absolute best is the very least we can do.

Thank you,

BCO
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 07:01:29 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 06:56:46 AM »

Don, you know Jones owns all the copyrights on that model 15 don't you lol wake up Larry I see big bucks here, for diesel  it just takes a little longer to build the travel funds it never stopped us when it went to 5 bucks the last time but there was a lot of tears parting with 900 to 1000 bucks a pop
You guys looking for a bus now is the time buy and pray fuel goes down  

good luck

He does?  Oh my gawd, I am in trouble again?  Whadya think it will cost me to buy him off (He loves Oreo cookies).  If you notice, his coach is "always first in the photo's" I took it into consideration (NOT).  He is coming by, we are going to do a couple of windshields in it this spring at my place.

Thanks again,

BCO
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 07:09:31 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 06:58:02 AM »

If you cannot run with the Big Dogs, best to stay on the porch

One of my philosophies of life.... It would look good painted on the back of my bus!

One of those strange things in life, where you see something and it just sort of resonates with you, hits a common thread.

I think it would look good back there too.

BCO

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 06:58:39 AM »

Great post, I am still in my mid 50's, retired once as a USPS Postmaster in a small local Post Office but am still working. I drive a truck on a USPS Contract Route and have a shop where I build Cowboy Bits and Spurs and saddle stirrups on the side. One thing I can't do is control what I pay for fuel, one thing I can do is crank up my production in the shop and cover the extra cost of fuel I use in the buses so I consider myself blessed.

I will not let the high cost of fuel stop me from enjoying the buses, there are lots of places I want to go to and see and camp at that are within a couple of hundred miles from me..

Rick

Good for you Rick that is the spirit ...

BCO

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 07:09:00 AM »

When (not if) fuel reaches 10 bucs a gallon, I'll be tickled pink to pay the 5 dollars we are not paying now lol!  Grin Grin
  great post DS! Wink
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 07:11:20 AM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 07:12:52 AM »

When (not if) fuel reaches 10 bucs a gallon, I'll be tickled pink to pay the 5 dollars we are not paying now lol!  Grin Grin

Now now Bucko, don't make me send Clifford up there.  We don't need no $10 per gallon, that is not positive thinking.  If that happens I will have to go back to my old job of selling flu shots out of the trunk of my car ... and you know how much I try to avoid the subject of gainful employment.

Thanks for checking in,

BCO

blank

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 07:16:38 AM »

And too, everytime I run up to Minnesota fuel is .25 to.35 higher from Iowa on. I always freak out thinking fuel just spiked, but it always drops coming back home. With enough range I wouldnt ever have to bother buying their high priced watered down always winterised chemically altered crap. (i get better economy on the fuel I buy farther south)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 07:23:56 AM »

We just had some friends from Germany leave headed for Vegas and I let him read this about the price of fuel his comments were what's is the big deal we paid more than that before fuel went up love those Germans lol when they left home it 7 bucks a gal 2 weeks ago

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 07:26:36 AM »

We just had some friends from Germany leave headed for Vegas and I let him read this about the price of fuel his comments were what's is the big deal we paid more than that before fuel went up love those Germans lol when they left home it 7 bucks a gal 2 weeks ago

good luck

We have had it good for a long time, but like I have said (you have too) ... those days are over.  Okay, now let's talk life jackets for the trip to Belize, bring my own or do you have them onboard?

BCO

brando4905

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 07:28:22 AM »

Art,

FWIW, My 4905 has two 165 gallon tanks, I think it's a very good option to not have to stop so often to take on fuel and have the choice what part of the country to fuel up. Still have plenty of bay storage space in a GM with an extra tank.

It's hard to get there stopping for 85 gals at a time!

Brandon

1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 07:30:44 AM »

The last time fuel  climbed so high it gave me an opportunity to buy my bus and at what I considered a very reasonable price.  I do remember that first fill of diesel!!!  Shocked My biggest expense at the moment is what I spend to change some things and upgrade some stuff. The cost of the rolling air bag kits turned out to be less than what the curtains came in at! Now I just spent a  grand into redoing stuff in the interior and a lot bigger expense in window and patio awnings. All those expenses were not necessities, as it was fine as is, but things that are what you may call a luxury. Basically that's what these are anyways for most of us. So the price of fuel is really nothing more than an inconvenience and has little to do with keeping food on the table. If such an expense is crippling your food budget then such a purchase may not have been a wise move indeed. If you want to rattle my cage lets start talking health care and insurance premiums instead. I can control how much fuel I want to use.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 07:32:56 AM »

My economic indicators tend to be the Sonic Drive-Ins I drive by on my Saturday Night Truck Run. For those not in the know about Sonic Drive-In's they are a drive in hamburger place with carhops....On a normal Saturday night in the past in the small towns I drive thru the Sonic's would be almost or would be full, not unusual to see cars circling looking for a parking spot. Last night (Saturday Night) I passed 2 Sonic's in 2 different small towns between 8:00 and 9:00 and one had 2 cars and one had 1 car in the bays. Most working people in these small towns commute 30 miles or more to work, and their wages have been stagnant for about the last 25 years.

This is with gas in the $3.50 range, diesel about $3.80, I hate to think what $10:00 a gallon fuel will do to our economy.

Rick
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 07:40:28 AM by Rick59-4104 » Logged

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2011, 07:53:29 AM »

I have a aux 125 gal tank from a MCI if you guys need one with todays prices it will only cost 600 bucks to fill lol.
Reading todays local paper I see where they busted a group posing as mobile wash guys using their OK credit card (electric pump and hose) they would watch truckers at Pilot go into eat and shower then pull up to the trucks and pump fuel into a 500 gal tank on a trailer not only do we have high prices now we also have the thief to contend with

good luck
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:06:00 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2011, 08:03:12 AM »

Thanks boxcarOkie!

I'm with Chopper Scott, If the spread between what diesel was a little while ago and now is tipping the balance... How was the preventive maintenance getting done on the coach before?

artvonne, best not leave your tanks empty to accumulate condensation if you have a chance for freezing temperatures sometime in the year. Frozen water in the pick-up or the filters ruins a good day. Overwhelming the water separator? There will be no savings if a slug of water gets through.

Travel is travel.

The coach and the grocery store will be cheaper to run than the car with hotels and restaurants. Pretty steady over the years, for a multi-day trip, you save someplace the equivalent of the fuel for a pick-up truck for the same journey by using the coach.

Either we can go, or we can't, the mode of travel is pretty much irrelevant.

So, maybe best to think of it like this?

Using the coach is like getting the travel for FREE!!!

Don't worry, be..

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
blank

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2011, 08:05:32 AM »

Rick, in the lil bedroom town we lived in, in central Minnesota, when fuel topped $4 gal it killed everything. Car lots closed, restaurants closed, construction stopped, small businesses disappeared, houses forclosed, people went bankrupt. And it hasn't turned around. The car lots are empty, half the stores are empty, 100's ofhouses sit empty with yards growing up in weeds. The rate of decay has slowed almost to a stop, but it has not reversed. We were back there last august and it's just really sad to look at. And as you drive through other small towns, you see the same story.

$5 fuel will change the landscape of this country in ways none of us can really imagine. Get out and see it while you still can.

Let me say this just for the sake of consideration. I had the big house, a Ferrari, and a lot of other nice stuff. Due to the economy, financial disasters, stock losses, and plummeting real estate values, weve lost, in real money, over $400K. We got away with our skin, but no longer think frivilously about anything anymore. We think much more about every single dollar and how we spend it. I no longer trust tomorrow, banks, the economy, or anything else. It feels like the brink of disaster to me, and im just not going to run off willie nillie thinking everythings going to be fine. If anyone remembers fuel spiking over $7 gal on 9/11, if it didnt do anything else, it should teach us just how fragile things in our world really are, and how rapidly it can change.

I still think positive, but its with a far different eye to the horizon.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:22:00 AM by artvonne » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: