Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 02:51:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windshield wiper switches - Rebuildable?????  (Read 2318 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:49:51 AM »

Hey Folks,
  I took my Baby out for an evening of fun with some friends saturday night and, as per this time of year, it was raining.  Tongue
   My drivers side wiper works..... eh, OK but, the passenger got stuck. I got under the dash and both switches sound like they are leaking (passenger side is worse) and you can feel the air.
  Can these be rebuilt or do I need to replace them? Either way, any suggestions?? I figure Luke might have them but just looking for options.
  Also, is there maintenance for the "motor" for the wipers? (it's on a 4108)

Thanx a bunch,
      Chaz
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:55:47 AM by Chaz » Logged

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Red Rider
God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 10:26:08 AM »

Thanks for the post Chaz, I have the same question on my 4106. The manual does address this however finding the rebuild kit for the switches is the problem

Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:31:25 AM »

Chaz,

The first thing I would do is replace the compressor and clean each and everyone of the air tanks.... your compressor is passing a LOT of oil.
Then I would work at cleaning the air lines and all peripheral, like the wiper motors, Skinner valves, Brake diaphragms, etc.

The oil will get everywhere and it is not your friend.

Compressor is gonna be a couple hundred, (probably, I dunno, haven't bought one for years,), but rebuilding it yourself isn't going to be much cheaper, especially when you figure in the hours and the machine shop work.

Kirks automotive in Detroit is a good place to get most of your rebuilt stuff, from compressors to DD3's to Alternators.

http://kirksauto.com

You'll probably be needing rebuilds on the DD3's before long.

I don't remember if you have an air dryer or not, but if you do, it will need a new cartridge and probably a purge valve.

Detroit over in Cinci was selling rebuilt with core for $175, but I don't know if they still do... call them. If you don't have an air dryer, think hard about getting one, but make sure you aren't passing a lot of oil in the air system... it will kill an air dryer cartridge in a very short time.

Good Luck!

Dallas

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Just Dallas

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 10:33:53 AM »

Many times all you have to do is clean the old gunk out of the air motors in order for them to work correctly.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the post Chaz, I have the same question on my 4106. The manual does address this however finding the rebuild kit for the switches is the problem

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 02:24:39 PM »

Thanx Dallas. I would say cleaning the air motors would be a good idea but, the switch itself is leaking air under the dash. Not sure why. I hate to tear it apart before I know what I will have to do as far as replacing or rebuilding. The drivers side does work ok but the passenger side.........not so much.  Roll Eyes If it would be simple o-rings etc., I guess I could scrounge around here. Or if they have to be replaced, any suggestions?

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 04:29:06 PM »

Rainx does a great job when my wipers get touchy on how they work.  usually right in the middle of traffic when it starts to rain, and the wipers act up.  at least the rainx keeps the rain xiting to the side fast.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 04:36:19 PM »

If I remember correctly, the switches have a spring loaded Park position that allows the air to exit the switch. If the switch sticks in this position, you would hear a leak. I think turning the switch fully counterclockwise is the park position and it should move clockwise slightly when released. Jack
Disclaimer: At my age, I can no longer be held responsible for my memory.

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 06:15:47 PM »

I'm not as old as Jack so......... what was I going to say?     

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 06:17:29 PM »

Oh.... RainX. I found that I really seldom even need the wipers by using that. If nothing else it sure makes the bugs come off easier!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 06:18:33 PM »

Chaz, If you do decide to rebuild the wiper controls, one source is:

http://busfixx.tripod.com/busservice/index.html

A friend (Rusty) and I visited them in Sharon Springs, KS and we were blown away at the inventory of parts for buses that they carry.  I think one of their specialties is air wiper parts (including rebuilding).

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
í85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 07:56:49 PM »

They are not bus only items, any truck parts store will carry replacement valves. Two years ago they were around $25-$30 range and I don't how they are worth the hassle to rebuild. Depending on the manufacture it might not look exactly the same, but it will work the same. Replacing those valves made it possible for my bus to hold air for days and I never new what "park" was with the old ones.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:30:57 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 06:50:53 PM »

I chased those valves around for a while and finally decided there were no replacement parts.

I finally got them to work but not very well. At least I got the leaks stopped.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 07:34:27 PM »

I chased those valves around for a while and finally decided there were no replacement parts.

I finally got them to work but not very well. At least I got the leaks stopped.

I'm confused. You couldn't find parts to rebuild them or you couldn't find new valves? The valves can be found at a truck parts store.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 07:47:12 AM »

When you say "Truck Parts Store", my guess is that you don't mean NAPA. (??) Ther isn't much else around here. I may have to try the internet or look for something in Cincy.
  Thanx,
     Chaz

Just Dallas

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 08:12:54 AM »

Chaz, if you can send me a picture of your switches, I may have a couple of new ones. They don't fit my bus, and I'm almost certain they are for the newer GMC's.
Rebuilding the switch valves isn't difficult, if the shaft and housing isn't worn out. a couple of O-rings, and a lot of cleaning in awn, then a rinse in Alcohol to get rid of any residue. Rubbing Alcohol, Gas Dry, Airline antifreeze, etc.
If you decide to go with new ones, call Luke or the fellow at Busfixx or (I think), even Sam Caylor.  GM bus guy on this board also has GMC parts, although I've never bought from him.
The easiest place to call would be Kirk's Automotive in Detroit. (800) 321-5989. I've bought a bunch of stuff from them, Starters, Alternators, DD3's, and air stuff. They use to be a Napa Parts/Service Center, I don't know if they still are, but if they are, they could have a part sent to the local Napa and save you some shipping costs.
Kirk's use to have a website, but I don't have a link for it.
Same thing with the motors, although I would try just cleaning the whole thing out with Dawn and water, then a rinse until clear with Alcohol.
When the switch leaks air, many times it's through the parking vent, which is because the air motors are gummed up. I would clean those out first before going to any other expense.

When you say "Truck Parts Store", my guess is that you don't mean NAPA. (??) Ther isn't much else around here. I may have to try the internet or look for something in Cincy.
  Thanx,
     Chaz

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: