Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 08:35:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compressor - It maybe time. :(  (Read 7116 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 06:08:22 PM »

Chaz, to confuse you here lol but if you still have the old fiber drive gear change to the metal one and if you do have the fiber drive that may be your problem not the compressor

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 08:21:13 PM »

Quote from: Chaz
"Expiring minds want to know", eh BK!!?? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Chaz

Quote from: luvrbus
Chaz, to confuse you here lol but if you still have the old fiber drive gear change to the metal one and if you do have the fiber drive that may be your problem not the compressor

good luck

Sho nuff on both ! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 06:03:13 AM »

Luvr,
 You may have a point but, I do have oil in my lines. So from what I've learned, and with all that Dallas checked, I'd say the compressor itself is probably the culprit. But, time will tell. It may be a week or better till I can brave the cold and get it done but I'll definitely let ya know.
 Oh, and a buddy at the local auto parts store ran down some wiper switches for me too. So after I get both the switches and the compressor done, I'm hoping I'm good.    (HA!! Silly me for being optimistic!! Roll Eyes)
  Later and thanx guys,
    Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 07:36:18 AM »

If we were not all the eternal optimist we would not try to drive buses for pleasure --- so keep up the good attitude and I hope it all works out just like you planned. ;-)

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 08:01:43 AM »

When I got my bus and people asked what my hobby was, I would say 'going places in my bus!'  Then, after a while, I would say 'owning a bus!'.   Now I say 'working on my bus!'   Shocked

brian   Grin

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 12:48:34 PM »

So true Brian........ so true.
Thanx Melbo.

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 09:49:53 AM »

Well, I got the compressor installed yesterday but haven't fired it up yet. I need to put in the wiper switch first. And of all things, I ordered two of the same type, - passenger side - and it looks as tho the drivers side is different!! DANG!!!!!!!!! Oh well, anybody need one?? Roll Eyes I also used the gear that was on the old compressor as there wasn't one on the rebuild (as the guy said there would be).

It was a pretty straight forward swap. The only problem - so far - was the alignment of the gear. Kind of a pain in the butt to get lined up but it didn't take too long. It was just a little frustrating.

Now a question:
When Dallas rebuilt my motor, I made an air filter for the compressor out of a small 2 barrel Air cleaner for a car. Works fine as far as I can tell, except it is pretty "oiled down" now and needs the filter replaced. Instead of doing that separate filter thing, isn't there supposed to be a hose going up to the big "tank" looking thing on top of my "huffer"?? It seems to be the correct place but there wasn't one on there, hence the reason I made the one I did. I was also curious if the "huffers" suck so hard that they hinder the air compressor? I imagine it can hold it's own but I thought the two might be competing for air.

Thanx for all the help. When I fire it up, I'll time it to see how much difference there is. I think there was mention as to how long it's supposed to take.

Chaz

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 10:01:35 AM »

Chaz,
As you may or may not know I ain't zactly real familiar with buses that have sideways engines (I've seen a bunch of 'm and even worked ona couple, but my esperiance is very limited on them!)
But I do know on MCI's and our older Setra's the compressor intake is plumbed in to the air breather for the engine so I see no reason why yours couldn't be too!
But on that my choice would be to put it at the breather not the blower!
Grin  BK  Grin

PS was the gear a fiber gear or metal one?

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2011, 10:55:17 AM »

Oh man............ sooooo not good. It did not want to get up over 80psi until I stepped on the throttle. Took about 6 minutes or so to get there.
AND, there is a nasty noise coming out of the air breather (the one I put on). Hard to explain what the noise is but it's DEFINITELY comming from the air intake. Kinda sounds like the air is escaping or huffing or something like if you had an empty plastic jar (Jif Peanut butter or something) and you rub you finger on it and get a hallow squeal or something like that out of it. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! Angry
Now what?HuhHuhHuhHuh?  And I have/HAD a trip coming up on Friday.
I'm bummin.  Cry    Cry     Cry      Cry

Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2011, 11:16:28 AM »

Chaz

Take the inlet off your compressor and check that these valves are not sticking on your compressor. I found my bus was slow to air and in the link below I have some pictures of what I did to remove and clean the valves. Might be worth a try. When the compressor was building air I was loosing air at these valves until I cleaned them. I can air the bus up to meet all the regulation pressure tests with no problem now.

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=17357.0

John

The valves are under the breather I would think one or both are sticking. I had mine making the same noise till I cleaned them. The post above has  a link with pictures.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2011, 11:48:35 AM »

Thanx John. that is what JR said as I had called him before I got your post. He said to open it up to the valves, soak them with W-D 40 and then use shop air in the govener hole to "work" the valves and lube them.
Well..................... still does it. It continues to make that noise till it gets to max pressure then quits.

still bummin.

Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2011, 12:13:09 PM »

If the valves are not closing all the way air will leak out and make that noise you are hearing till you hit max pressure then they open to unload the compressor. I had to play with mine several times to get them to work right. Is this a new compressor?

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2011, 04:36:49 PM »

Thanx John. Maybe that will work. How many times did you have to do that?? Just curious because they seem to work up and down just fine blowing shop air in the govenor. I will try it again. The compressor is a brand new rebuilt.

Just as an FYI, I called them back after I did what he said and another gentleman answered the call and said he would have JR return my call. I always want to give them a chance............ but that was yesterday morning.  Undecided Guess I'm in the crack and slipping.

Chaz

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2011, 04:46:31 PM »

Chaz,sorry you having some much trouble I found out a long time cheaper is not always better I pay around 500 bucks for that compressor rebuilt by Bendix most of the rebuild shops use good, fair and after market parts from other compressors not Bendix parts.
I don't buy from him myself I had to many problems with his rebuilt compressors 

good luck
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 05:12:29 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2011, 07:37:49 PM »

The compressor on my bus thought pumping air was secondary to pumping oil. I wasn't about to spend big money to put something new on my bus because the bus is older than I am. NIMCO had good take outs that where working very well while in service, and at $150, one can buy three for the price of one new/rebuilt. I don't know anyone that puts very many miles on their conversion, so the likelihood of wearing out even a good used one is almost nil. Not saying anything wrong with the direction you went in, but for the archives I felt that mentioning the used option would be helpful. I don't always go with used, but on the GM the compressor swap is easy, even if you have to do it twice.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: