Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 10:05:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mexico trips  (Read 5153 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2011, 12:22:36 PM »

It seems long ago that I was seeing many posts about visits to Mex.  Lately, not so much.  With all the horrific drug related violent crime I though others as timid and faint of heart as myself would be altering their annual trek plans.  Still, I know some hearty souls that would not be discouraged by such goings on.

Is anybody going down there, still?  Most of that country is fantastic and hospitable almost to a fault.  The border area on their side is a different story.  Do you guys hit the border at a run, keeping you head down, and beat feet till you get 25 miles south?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 12:35:01 PM »

John, I fueled the boat a few months back it is still setting in San Diego we had a big trip plan but both of us have reservations about going now they are killing people past the 25 miles lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 01:27:39 PM »

Clifford,

Sorry to hear that your style has been cramped. Sad Angry  And to think that you, unlike a bus, cam run stealthy at night and without any run'n lights to give away your movements. Tongue

I want to talk to you about matters not bus.  How can i contact you off the board?

Thanks for your post,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 01:32:33 PM »

I wouldn't venture into that hotbed of criminals for anything.  I don't even go near it on this side anymore.  It is much much more of a problem than they even let on to be on the television.  Travel there is just short of suicide IMHO.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 03:06:51 PM »

I have a running buddy who used to spend a lot of time in Mexico, a few years ago he quit driving down and would fly in, he has a lot of friends and business connections down there. For the last year or so he will not even fly down, he says he knows a lot of great people down there but they tell him to stay out now.

Rick

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:29:49 PM »

I wouldn't venture into that hotbed of criminals for anything.  I don't even go near it on this side anymore.  It is much much more of a problem than they even let on to be on the television.  Travel there is just short of suicide IMHO.

And those idiots are trying to "stop" the gun flow into Mex from the USA.  I am a member of the NRA and we will tell anyone and provide prove that the more guns that are in your community the safer you will be.  There is irrefutable proof, I tell ya.  My membership gets me huge discounts and I spend a lot of time at the range and they knock some off also.

Try to see the movie "No Country for Old Men".  It explains a lot.

I am with you WAL.  The place was always scary to me but now it is insane.  Pitty.

—Pla
crown

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 03:31:50 PM »

rick we live in costa rica and we hear a lot of bad stuff on the local news and we talk only spanish watch spanish news tv ect
 we talk english when in the states i would not go to mexico right now if someone paid me just my 2 cents but 30 & years in centro
america john & lidia

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 08:09:50 PM »

Christi and I went down South 5 or 6 times a year for many years and we miss it so much it hurts. The beach, the people, everything. But, we can't take the chance anymore. The loss of life or property is just to great for us thrill seekers...........for now! One day we will venture back to that wonderful land down South. For now we will close our eyes and dream.........Mmmmmmm..........M&C Grin

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 05:38:52 AM »

And those idiots are trying to "stop" the gun flow into Mex from the USA.  I am a member of the NRA and we will tell anyone and provide prove that the more guns that are in your community the safer you will be.  There is irrefutable proof, I tell ya.  My membership gets me huge discounts and I spend a lot of time at the range and they knock some off also.
Try to see the movie "No Country for Old Men".  It explains a lot. I am with you WAL.  The place was always scary to me but now it is insane.  Pitty.
[/quote]
Oh no doubt about it.  I have traveled to Mexico extensively as I live fairly close.  Every yer since the 1940s my father took customers from the oilfield down there to hunt white wing doves and deer.  When I came along later I was very lucky to be a tag along.  I used to scuba dive down there.  Even took day trips when I was hunting in South Texas.

The only way to stop that border danger is to stop the border.  Shut it completely down.  No movement whatsoever.  If it crosses stop it detain it and turn it back the other way.  I'll pose this question to y'all.  If a cartel can bring in 2000 pounds of any illegal substance like cocaine and or marijuana.  Who is to say the taliban could not or would not come over to the cartels and pay them 20 million to carry in a nuclear bomb.  Yall tell me why that could not happen.  I don't feel safe as long as the border is open.  One nuclear bomb in 4 cities in this country and the nation will be in a shamble.  They want to do it, what is to stop them?  Cease all border movement!!!

www.snakebreaker.com
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 02:31:37 PM »

If a cartel can bring in 2000 pounds of any illegal substance like cocaine and or marijuana.  Who is to say the Taliban could not or would not come over to the cartels and pay them 20 million to carry in a nuclear bomb.  Ya'all tell me why that could not happen. 

I'll tell ya that!  I don't think that Alkayda can afford those cartel guys. And, those cartel folk ain't stupid.  If they toast all their customers how are they gonna make any cash.  The Alkida  is teetotalers and drug averse.  Those two groups, Alkider and cartel, have a lot of conflict that isn't obvious. Grin Grin Grin

I don't feel safe as long as the border is open. 

I would have most of the heart burn you have.

One nuclear bomb in 4 cities in this country and the nation will be in a shamble.

I don't think it would take 4 but two would do it.  We couldn't handle even a big blow like Katrina but maybe with the new team?Huh?.

They want to do it, what is to stop them?

Rest assured that they will do anything in their power to harm our nation and people and they are merciless. Keep in mind that the Talleybaan is local to Afganastan while Alkahydah is international.   

Cease all border movement!!!

I don't think we can do that and that's not saying you have a bad idea. BUT, passing a new law isn't going to do the trick and we will never be rich enuff to bulid a wall across out entire southern border.  Then the northern?  Mine the beaches? 

Mexico has pleaded with us to stop the narcotics flow because the cartels are filthy rich and armed to the teeth and killing people and corrupting law enforcement.  I first took note of that about 98 and they haven't stopped carping and wining about the problem in the ensuing years.  Tons of info on how the Fed Pens have 80% of the cons in there for drug related causes.  More than half of those are marijuana related and a big chunk are blacks busted for CRACK in minuscule quantities that are barely prosecutable if the crack is unprocessed....that's called cocaine. Makes no sense to me.  We pay a princely sum to prosecute those offenders and then we spend tens of thousands of dollars to incarcerate them.  Spend the money on medical care cause we are dumping billions into the emergency rooms where these birds often land.  There are so many things that won't work and almost all of them have been tried through the ages and they have failed miserably.  Kill'em ALL, build a dang wall, nuke'em, CLOSE THE BORDER.  All of those are exercises in futility and will not work an some are beyond the pale of behavior for civilized  People.  I'm talking about the wall here. Grin

You want to contribute to your safety?  Get behind some of these people that are offering viable solutions.  Don't be a liberal or lefty....just grab a piece of this and growl.  Try and put your finger on who it is that is advocating that you spend more of your tax dollars on futile prisons cause while we certainly need them we don't need as many as we are supporting....a senseless dream of isolationism...more laws....impossibly expensive walls that cannot be maintained/manned even if we could build one.  Find out who supports drug rehabilitation, drug education, emptying the prison of non violent inmates that were guilty of involvement with non habituating and non addictive drugs, "E" is wanted by the Psyc profession for the treatment of many diabolical and crippling mental disorders but it was made illegal by the head of the DEA without scientific data input, and the list goes on and on and on.  We are protestants and not protesters so lets get moving in that positive direction. And WAL, I am armed to the teeth....just for your perspective on where my sympathies lie.  I have a conservative bent. Grin Grin

Love ya and wish you happiness and peace of mind....you deserve it.

John

—Pla
Kevin Warnock

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 04:26:29 PM »

I have been reading the blog of 'Tioga George' for years. He travels in a Class C motorhome nearly full time in Mexico. He's in his 70s and has a MotoSat dish for daily blog updates. He makes his living from blogging about his travels. I've written to him and I've read his blog frequently enough that I trust what he says. He says Mexico is safer than the US for RV travel. Of course, I don't think he's camping in drug war zones. George is a regular guy without much money. He's likable, and has developed a large following of readers such that he makes about $12,000 a year in Google AdSense income from just writing about boondocking in his RV. He's been doing this for some 8 years now, with no break. Even if you're not thinking about traveling to Mexico, I recommend you visit his blog. Here's the address:

http://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/

Enjoy.

Kevin Warnock
http://KevinWarnock.com
1994 RTS Series 50
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 05:34:12 PM »

Kevin,

Thank you for your post.  I will take George's words to heart.  I know there must be vast expanses of Mex that are crime free and safe but I don't know where they are and how best to access them.  Regardless, anyone would have to pass thru the "ZONE" and thereby hangs the tale.

Your advice or George's flies in the face of conventional wisdom at this time and that makes it all the more interesting to me.

Thank you most appreciatively,

John

—Pla
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 06:29:39 PM »

Over the years I have spent quite a few winters in Mexico.  I have always traveled as fast as I could through the northern 100 miles or so.  I never drive at night if there is any way to avoid it, so I avoid it. This is  really really important no matter where in Mexico you are, I have seen way too many weird/dangerous things driving down desolate highways at night......Anyhoo I love Mexico and since i lovve it I have been paying attention  to all the crime hysteria for the past decade or so.  Most of the border crime is gang/turf/police wars and has nothing to do with tourists.
 I don't drive fancy rigs in Mexico, and I dress poor.  I stay away from tourist meccas, my spanish is decent  I have paid 2 bribes in all the time I have been in Mexico, one was to upgrade a seat on a train, the other was to avoid an impound on my van (which would have cost more). F ing DF. 
  Btw last I heard the crime rate against tourists in Mex was way down the list...Jamaica was at the  top and Costa Rica ahead of Mex.

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 06:45:18 PM »

ZubZub,

Another reason to buy a 4104.....visit Mex with impunity. Wink Grin

It is nice to hear that statistic about crime.  And that you are still having a good and reasonably priced vacation.

Thank you,

John

—Pla
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 07:41:24 PM »

Yall enjoy.  Let me know how Mexico is doing when you get back.

www.snakebreaker.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: