Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 07:23:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wet insulation under floor! What now?  (Read 1413 times)
daveola
Galactic Bustastic!

Big Red and Little Red

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2011, 01:13:10 PM »

I just found out that my shower drain was leaking into the insulation between the floor (wood) and the metal sheeting underneath it.  So now the insulation under the floor is wet and I'm not sure if it will dry on it's own.

I obviously don't want to rip the whole floor out but I'm worried that it's going to end up warped and need replacing anyways.

Any thoughts on how much I need to worry about this?

I've thought about drilling holes from underneath to get some air into the insulation, but I'm not sure it would help much, and then I would need to plug them again at some ponit so I don't just leave the floor open to the elements.

Or perhaps leave a dehumidifier back there for a few months that runs when my genset runs (for a couple hours) every day?

Hrm.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 01:27:27 PM »

What kind of insulation is it?

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 01:48:54 PM »

Anyway to push large amount of air into the space? If so, I would get right to that to minimize the damage. Warping damage may already been complete!

Good luck!

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
daveola
Galactic Bustastic!

Big Red and Little Red

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 01:53:08 PM »

The insulation is whatever came with the bus.  Don't know how I'd get air pushed through there since the insulation is filling the space.

If warping is complete, then I'm in luck, because the floor is still basically flat.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »

Would be surprised if you had factory insulation under floor. Looks like a Mci from picture. In the 8's and 9's what insulation there was is fiberglass in roof and sides. could have been added though!! or built differant that the ones I have had. You are speaking in the roof of the bay?  Or of the insulation under shower pan and above floor?  please post type and year of bus and location of shower.  Bob
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:17:38 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
daveola
Galactic Bustastic!

Big Red and Little Red

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:37:55 PM »

My shower is in the back corner, it's a 1986 MCI 102A3.  It's the insulation underneath the wood floor.  Looks the same as the insulation in the roof.  I haven't replaced the floors from the original bus floors - no need to.  (At least not yet, knock on hopefully not to soggy wood..  Smiley
papatony

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 03:55:41 PM »

Dave you need to dry it out before you get mold in there. then you will have to tear it out .  If you can get air to it . fans work great. Any way you can, get fresh air will work. 
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 04:03:42 PM »

If it is like the D3 it has a layer of fiberglass over a layer of sound down type stuff. The fiber glass in mine was filthy. When I go back with floor it will be replaced with foam. Probably will have to take floor out to get this problem resolved. Rod

Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 06:07:44 PM »

Another way if you can't get to it, Get a big sack of any kind of cheap rice (Costco)Do not get Jasmine it has a fragrance in it. Empty it in to a flat about 1 inch or so thick, like rubbermaid type under the bed box. Don't put the top on. Cover the area in question with Plastic sheet and the box of rice under it not on top and put some weights or anything to hold down the edges. Then put some fans in the bay under or engine area pointed up at wet area where ever it is. The rice will suck the wet out of the wood and or insulation over a few days or so. Check to see if the rice is wet or getting moist every so often if so change it.

Dave
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:17:54 PM by Dave5Cs » Logged

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 06:41:12 PM »

If you have a hole you can stick a old cotton sock in just stick it in part way from bottom and it will wick the moisture out. If more than one place put a sock in it to act as a wick also. Have done this before.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 06:59:20 PM »

Stick a dehumidifier over it for a few days - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Pages: [1]   Go Up