Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 10:57:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lube pump or disconnect  (Read 3302 times)
Cary and Don

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2011, 11:32:33 AM »

We are going to tow our GMC sierra 1500.  We have heard good and bad about both the lube pump and the drive  line disconnect.  What have you done and how did it work? We are going to need this done quick.

Don and Cary
GMC4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:45:44 AM »

I guess it's a two wheel drive automatic.  If you have to do it fast and dirty, and you aren't towing across the country for days on end, you can just let it idle while you tow it.  Either of the other options involves buying disconnects or pumps and getting them installed.  I guess the final option is the undo the driveshaft and put it in the bed of the truck option (or tie it up, I guess).

I guess if I was doing a one-time move, I'd let it idle, if I was making a lifestyle choice I'd look at the pump or the disconnect (I can think of nothing but problems with either, so I would have to make the least bad choice after some research)

brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:54:33 AM »

We will be towing from Houston to Sacramento, CA.  Thought of dropping the drive shaft,  but we would like to make a vacation out of it. That probably would be a little dangerous to let it idle that far.

Don and Cary
GMC4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:58:38 AM »

Do a search on the idle topic.  I alone have done it to death.  I and others have towed an idling car for thousands of miles.  Search the subject!

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 12:05:10 PM »

How do you tell if it is still running and didn't stall?  How long after it stalls do you have before the transmission toasts?  Is there a way to rig up an alarm?

Don and Cary
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Bill 340

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 12:44:35 PM »

I am on my 3rd vehicle with a remco drive shaft disconnect and would not have any other way, works great, and if you are in a bad neighborhood you just pull the disconnect and theives can hot wire your vehicle all the want it wont go anywhere disconnected,Just make sure you tell the garage guy NOT to pull that knob, they think it is for moving the seat, and have pulled it more than once,  Go for it, very reliable

Bill & Brenda Phelan
Lakeland florida..........Host of the ARCADIA RALLY
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 12:53:22 PM »

How do you tell if it is still running and didn't stall?  How long after it stalls do you have before the transmission toasts?  Is there a way to rig up an alarm?

Don and Cary
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

SEARCH THE TOPIC!

It should take you more than an hour if you read it all.  Alarms are used for over temp and low oil pressure(engine quit).  BIG red light on the dash and a infernal back up alarm in parallel to the light.  Its all in previous posts.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 05:57:01 AM »

How much gas do you think the average V-8 burns idling for 1 hr?

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 06:18:12 AM »

Interesting question, actually.  Typical gas engine fuel usage while idling is around 1/2 gallon per hour from anecdotal evidence on the ever-all-knowing interweb.  Diesel engines far less.  Some modern gas engines can go ultra lean while no-load idling and are down around 1/2 litre per hour, apparently, but I don't think a GMC 1500 falls into that category. 

so assume 10 hours idling per day on a cross-country trip, gas a $3.50 per gallon, 5 gallons burned, $17.50 per day, Remco lube pump $1200 installed (probably more but close), break even is 68 days of towing for  10 hours a day.  At average speed of 50 mph (reasonable for highway driving on a long trip) that's 34,000 miles.  I ain't gonna drive 34,000 miles in a hurry in my bus, I'll tell you that for free!

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 06:47:52 AM »

Thanks Brian.

I too sometimes idle our 1/2 ton 2WD PU on short regional trips but when we head to Fla in the winter or on longer trips I disconnect the driveshaft.

IMO a 1/2 ton PU is one of the most stable, best riding and safe vehicles on the road. To add all the expence of 4WD and loose that nice 2WD ride just to easily tow is not a compramise I am willing to make.

I know more than a few folks who use Remco with great results eventually we will go that way too.

I think the Remco driveshaft disconnect is quite a bit less around 700 if you install it yourself don't know the installed price.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:54:43 AM by Joe Camper » Logged

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 06:56:01 AM »

I honestly think that, if you plan it out and have fresh, non-rust-seized nuts and bolts on there, dropping the drive shaft on a pickup might  be an easy way to go.  There is lots of room under there, you don't need ramps or anything, you just slide under and away you go.  The first time you do it it would be a PITA, and if you have to do it in the rain or a muddy field, but once in a blue moon, it might work out fine.

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 07:06:07 AM »

You can flood the transmission on a GM products and get the same results I see it done all the time, on the Escapees there was a how to do drawing along with some other RV sites it was a simple hookup and worked I talked to one that had towed his pickup for 48,000 mile with no problem 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 08:12:57 AM »

How can we find the drawing to the flooding?  I haven't been on that group.  I am guessing you would have to drain the extra off to drive it?  We want to use the truck on the way home,  but this isn't going to be our regular tow vehicle.  The truck we will be towing after this is a 72 chevy pickup with a camper shell.  But it isn't ready for the road and it would be real uncomfortable to drive 2000 miles.  How long does it take to drop the drive shaft?  This truck is brand new for all intents.  The bolts shouldn't be froze.

Don and Cary
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

and soon 1973 05 Eagle

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 08:39:34 AM »

I have a good friend who routinely tows his wife's Expedition behind his motorhome by dropping the driveshaft.  His father stays in some resort-type place in Palm Springs.  Darrel says when they roll up to the gate and he slips on coveralls prior to sliding under the Expedition it raises a few eyebrows.  It seems to work for him and there's no doubt that is the least cost solution. Darrel is big on least cost solutions, perhaps he's even a cheaper SOB than I am.  He has some kind of a permanent bracket under there to hang the loose driveshaft on.  I've seen him do the hookup and it takes less than 10 minutes - probably less than 5 minutes but I didn't actually time him.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 08:54:21 AM »

No way Bob a guy cheaper than you lol but that boat will make you part with some cash damn I don't know what mine will cost when I start using it I get a bill every week and haven't seen it in 4 months

good lucks

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: