Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 04:02:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lube pump or disconnect  (Read 3337 times)
Cary and Don

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2011, 11:32:33 AM »

We are going to tow our GMC sierra 1500.  We have heard good and bad about both the lube pump and the drive  line disconnect.  What have you done and how did it work? We are going to need this done quick.

Don and Cary
GMC4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:45:44 AM »

I guess it's a two wheel drive automatic.  If you have to do it fast and dirty, and you aren't towing across the country for days on end, you can just let it idle while you tow it.  Either of the other options involves buying disconnects or pumps and getting them installed.  I guess the final option is the undo the driveshaft and put it in the bed of the truck option (or tie it up, I guess).

I guess if I was doing a one-time move, I'd let it idle, if I was making a lifestyle choice I'd look at the pump or the disconnect (I can think of nothing but problems with either, so I would have to make the least bad choice after some research)

brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:54:33 AM »

We will be towing from Houston to Sacramento, CA.  Thought of dropping the drive shaft,  but we would like to make a vacation out of it. That probably would be a little dangerous to let it idle that far.

Don and Cary
GMC4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:58:38 AM »

Do a search on the idle topic.  I alone have done it to death.  I and others have towed an idling car for thousands of miles.  Search the subject!

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 12:05:10 PM »

How do you tell if it is still running and didn't stall?  How long after it stalls do you have before the transmission toasts?  Is there a way to rig up an alarm?

Don and Cary
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Bill 340

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 12:44:35 PM »

I am on my 3rd vehicle with a remco drive shaft disconnect and would not have any other way, works great, and if you are in a bad neighborhood you just pull the disconnect and theives can hot wire your vehicle all the want it wont go anywhere disconnected,Just make sure you tell the garage guy NOT to pull that knob, they think it is for moving the seat, and have pulled it more than once,  Go for it, very reliable

Bill & Brenda Phelan
Lakeland florida..........Host of the ARCADIA RALLY
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 12:53:22 PM »

How do you tell if it is still running and didn't stall?  How long after it stalls do you have before the transmission toasts?  Is there a way to rig up an alarm?

Don and Cary
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

SEARCH THE TOPIC!

It should take you more than an hour if you read it all.  Alarms are used for over temp and low oil pressure(engine quit).  BIG red light on the dash and a infernal back up alarm in parallel to the light.  Its all in previous posts.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 05:57:01 AM »

How much gas do you think the average V-8 burns idling for 1 hr?

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 06:18:12 AM »

Interesting question, actually.  Typical gas engine fuel usage while idling is around 1/2 gallon per hour from anecdotal evidence on the ever-all-knowing interweb.  Diesel engines far less.  Some modern gas engines can go ultra lean while no-load idling and are down around 1/2 litre per hour, apparently, but I don't think a GMC 1500 falls into that category. 

so assume 10 hours idling per day on a cross-country trip, gas a $3.50 per gallon, 5 gallons burned, $17.50 per day, Remco lube pump $1200 installed (probably more but close), break even is 68 days of towing for  10 hours a day.  At average speed of 50 mph (reasonable for highway driving on a long trip) that's 34,000 miles.  I ain't gonna drive 34,000 miles in a hurry in my bus, I'll tell you that for free!

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 06:47:52 AM »

Thanks Brian.

I too sometimes idle our 1/2 ton 2WD PU on short regional trips but when we head to Fla in the winter or on longer trips I disconnect the driveshaft.

IMO a 1/2 ton PU is one of the most stable, best riding and safe vehicles on the road. To add all the expence of 4WD and loose that nice 2WD ride just to easily tow is not a compramise I am willing to make.

I know more than a few folks who use Remco with great results eventually we will go that way too.

I think the Remco driveshaft disconnect is quite a bit less around 700 if you install it yourself don't know the installed price.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:54:43 AM by Joe Camper » Logged

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 06:56:01 AM »

I honestly think that, if you plan it out and have fresh, non-rust-seized nuts and bolts on there, dropping the drive shaft on a pickup might  be an easy way to go.  There is lots of room under there, you don't need ramps or anything, you just slide under and away you go.  The first time you do it it would be a PITA, and if you have to do it in the rain or a muddy field, but once in a blue moon, it might work out fine.

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 07:06:07 AM »

You can flood the transmission on a GM products and get the same results I see it done all the time, on the Escapees there was a how to do drawing along with some other RV sites it was a simple hookup and worked I talked to one that had towed his pickup for 48,000 mile with no problem 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 08:12:57 AM »

How can we find the drawing to the flooding?  I haven't been on that group.  I am guessing you would have to drain the extra off to drive it?  We want to use the truck on the way home,  but this isn't going to be our regular tow vehicle.  The truck we will be towing after this is a 72 chevy pickup with a camper shell.  But it isn't ready for the road and it would be real uncomfortable to drive 2000 miles.  How long does it take to drop the drive shaft?  This truck is brand new for all intents.  The bolts shouldn't be froze.

Don and Cary
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

and soon 1973 05 Eagle

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 08:39:34 AM »

I have a good friend who routinely tows his wife's Expedition behind his motorhome by dropping the driveshaft.  His father stays in some resort-type place in Palm Springs.  Darrel says when they roll up to the gate and he slips on coveralls prior to sliding under the Expedition it raises a few eyebrows.  It seems to work for him and there's no doubt that is the least cost solution. Darrel is big on least cost solutions, perhaps he's even a cheaper SOB than I am.  He has some kind of a permanent bracket under there to hang the loose driveshaft on.  I've seen him do the hookup and it takes less than 10 minutes - probably less than 5 minutes but I didn't actually time him.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 08:54:21 AM »

No way Bob a guy cheaper than you lol but that boat will make you part with some cash damn I don't know what mine will cost when I start using it I get a bill every week and haven't seen it in 4 months

good lucks

eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 09:13:30 AM »

How long will you be gone. A u-haul trailer May be the way to go. You may even check Cl and find a private lease.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 10:02:21 AM »

i see leaving it idling has been mentioned.  we have experience.  this is probably our 4th year towing from FL to TX to MO to OH.  this past year, Fl to OH to SD to OH to PA to KY to FL.  We pull a Chevy express 1500 van, about 8k lbs loaded, behind the bus.

we were disconnecting drive shaft, but got to be a pain when we needed the van quick, or raining, or wrong turn somewhere.

No problems and i try to keep close tabs on it and maintenance.  Knock on wood...

Price of fuel is beginning to be an issue again. We use about a gallon an hour while towing down the road, and we do rack up miles obviously.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 10:23:16 AM »

Don & Cary -

I know at least seven folk here locally (Fresno, CA) with Class A stick 'n staple rigs that use the Remco driveline disconnect for their toads.

Every one of them has said it's a great solution, and works very well.

None have had problems with the units, and only one had it professionally installed.

One fellow tows an older rear-wheel drive Cadillac!

OTOH, I have heard rumors that sometimes you have to get the driveshaft rebalanced, but that's all I've heard - rumors.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »

No way Bob a guy cheaper than you lol but that boat will make you part with some cash damn I don't know what mine will cost when I start using it I get a bill every week and haven't seen it in 4 months

good lucks

I am getting a "boat".  It will be a 12 foot lake boat with a 5 horse motor.  Fits right up on top of the Ranger and attaches to the cap.  Got a boat loader for free and so far have $150 into aluminum.  So I don't even have the thing yet and I am out 150.  In terms of how much I have spent for my boat vs how much it is available to me....I think I have you all beat.  Albeit in the wrong direction. Wink Grin

John

—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 10:37:50 AM »

Don & Cary -

I know at least seven folk here locally (Fresno, CA) with Class A stick 'n staple rigs that use the Remco driveline disconnect for their toads.

Every one of them has said it's a great solution, and works very well.

None have had problems with the units, and only one had it professionally installed.

One fellow tows an older rear-wheel drive Cadillac!

OTOH, I have heard rumors that sometimes you have to get the driveshaft rebalanced, but that's all I've heard - rumors.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

The Remco requires you to use a shortened drive shaft.  most get a replacement and keep their stock item for when they trade off the toad.  Because you actually "add" a component with spline coupling to your drive line there are a host of things that might lead to vibration.  I have heard of many that had slight vibration but none that were truly objectionable.  Haven't heard of any that completely resolved the issue if they had it.  It hasn't been that the shortened drive shaft was out of balance but more that the entire assy of shaft and coupler had some sort of issue.  Everybody loves them and I have yet to hear about anybody getting theirs removed because they were unsatisfied with any aspect of the Remco.  This is after 50, or so, shop installations.  I idle and I could get this for wholesale and the install would be free to me.

FWIW,

John

John

—Pla
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 11:36:21 AM »

If the truck stalls,  does the steering wheel lock up even though it is in neutral?  We could wire up an alarm so we could stop pretty quick,  but if the steering locks,  the tires aren't going to be happy.

Don and Cary
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 11:57:39 AM »

the steering lock is based on the key being in, not the engine running.  

i do keep the rear camera on, but i don't have any alarms.  We stop every couple hours to stretch, bathroom break, check the tires and the toad.
Make sure your tow brake is adjusted for power assisted brakes though.  most are expecting to have to push hard to stop your toad because there is no power assist.  otherwise you may lock your toad wheels when you hit your bus brakes, no matter whose braking system you have.  we have an smi air force 1 made for air brake systems and they adjusted it for us when they shipped it.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 01:45:20 PM »

I think some has missed this part of what you said. All are great ideas but all sounds expensive for a one time use. I think some pricing should be spoken here to make the right decision.
We want to use the truck on the way home,  but this isn't going to be our regular tow vehicle.  The truck we will be towing after this is a 72 chevy pickup with a camper shell.  But it isn't ready for the road and it would be real uncomfortable to drive 2000 miles.  How long does it take to drop the drive shaft?  This truck is brand new for all intents.  The bolts shouldn't be froze.
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 05:14:33 PM »

Brian your last comment is dead on what I have found. Additionally the rear flange on a Dodge is a 4 large bolts and really easy to remove as you suggest. Often I reinstall only 2 always driving it easy anyway. Takes less than 5 min.

Funny thing is I really don't have issue with it its my wife who is embarrassed for for me when we pull up to check in and I get out of or XL and throw on the coveralls and crawl under the PU. Don't bother me one bit LOL

Maybe she will get me one for Xmas I'll have to ask. Last year I got a new Raritan Maserator toilet (and I loved it)

At 51 I will assume we still have quite a few miles of bussin so IMO we need a more conventional aproach even it it costs a few bucks up front.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 05:26:11 PM by Joe Camper » Logged

blank

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 09:14:54 PM »

If your going to have a real toad, buy one thats built tobe towed. If your only transporting, driveshaft drop is the most bulletproof approach.

I like our Cherokee, and see a lot of them. Just poke the T-case into N, poke the trans into P, and go. I pulled the steering lock and took the bolt out, no more lock steering, no need to leave keys in it.
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 11:11:02 PM »

If you DC the drive line there are a couple things to watch for.  If you pull the drive line out of the tranny you will lose fluid and collect dirt.  Make sure that the drive line is secured and pulling forward to avoid letting it slip back enough to drop the front turning your pickup into a 6000 lb po-go stick.  Shocked

Good luck
Don 4107

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
rip

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 06:52:51 AM »

I had my remco installed when I bought my Tacoma in 05 and I have had zero problems with it. When I buy another vehicle I will do the same. With all the bad weather we have been in after stopping,I would never consider disconnecting the drive shaft,but that's just me. I like things simple and when we stop I can have my toad ready to drive in a min. or so.
    Don
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 11:54:18 AM »

If the truck stalls,  does the steering wheel lock up even though it is in neutral?  We could wire up an alarm so we could stop pretty quick,  but if the steering locks,  the tires aren't going to be happy.

Don and Cary
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

In the tow in neutral method the PS has full pressure and the toad tracks and turns easily.  In a remco DS disconnect or the trans lubber, the engine is off and the vehicle still tracks without problems.  All are towed with the key in the ignition and the steering wheel UN-locked.  If your engine quite you can still go the 50 miles that they say is the "LIMIT" before damage.  At least that is what I was told.  That should be enuf to get you to someplace where you can unbolt the DS.

Get the tire pressure monitoring kit cause a flat back there that goes unnoticed can do great damage and even start a fire.  Fires usually leave the drive shaft in tact.

John

—Pla
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 07:06:11 PM »

As for flooding the transmission...

The Dodge Caravan that I was witness to, the busnut used a windshield washer bottle of appropriate size from the wreckers, with a 1/4 turn valve on the line out the bottom.

Time to tow?

Open valve and let contents drain down into the tranny via a "T" in the cooler lines. Then the usual stuff to keep the steering unlocked.

Time to drive?

Start engine, open valve, let tranny pump it back into the bottle back up to the fill line drawn on the bottle with a marker, close the 1/4 turn valve, drive away.

IIRC, the same busnut just idled his next tow vehicle...

lots of ways!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 11:03:52 PM »

Now that beats letting it idle by a mile.  In my case my Ranger has the problem with the transfer case and it is a stick.  But you have a sure fire winner there.

John

—Pla
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »

This flooding the trans sounds very interesting to me.

I would not prefer to use my Ram as a test platform and the "appropriate additional fluid needed" is a little vague. What are we talking about here 1 gal?

Pull the yoke out of the tailshaft and add fluid till it starts coming out to see just how much extra is needed to get the level to that point?

I am under the assumption that lubricating the bushing in the tailshaft is what is needed to pull a car with an automatic without idling or disconnecting the shaft.

Are there other considerations?

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2011, 10:55:56 AM »

Joe, I have seen hundreds of the flood syetems on different brands .
They use a recovery tank like you have for engine then they splice the cooler lines install valves and have a line to the filler tube they add 2 quarts they add the 2 quarts to the tank open the valve on the filler tube when they arrive they start the engine open valves on the cooler and pump it back into the tank the oil never leaves the unit pretty neat.
 I have never tried it myself but I did have a Remco pump that failed that cost me 3 grand,I think if I was going with Remco it would be a disconnet for me.
 I have a bad attitude towards Remco over the 3 grand because of their pump failure they politely to me to go to hell

good luck

sawdust_128

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2011, 12:31:27 PM »

Put on the drive line disconnect and be done with it. 

You can pull the knob when you need to and can reconnect in a matter of seconds. 

When it is first installed,  you might have some issues with it as the parts loosen a bit.  After a little use,  just slide under and cinch everything up to where they are tight. 

Keep it clean, spray it down to eash it.  Test it once a month.

When I haven;t used it in a while,  I will wash it and spray wd40 all over it.

REMCO's support is excellent.

If someone else installs it,  make sure you tell them you want to keep  the original drive shaft (i.e.,  don't beat it up) .  This way you can reinstall it into the vehicle and unmount the disconnect when it is time for a new TOAD.  REMOCO may well be able to rework the unit for your next TOAD and save some expense. 

I did not do my own install.  I don;t think it was too difficult,  but I had it installed while I was on the road.   Install costs were about $400.  REMCO can supply a list of installers.

If you know someone who uses one,  have them show you the reconnect operation.  Most people make the mistake of trying to go too fast during the reconnect. 

It is a gentle, easy process. 
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 03:51:04 AM »

I'm going to a trailer. If I think I have stubled across a good idea in the meantime that works well and has little or no cost I am very interested.

My decision to go to trailer is based on the high cost of setting up a toad combined with being stuck with it, because of that expence, for an entirly too long a period of time. Driveshaft disconnect is a big part of it.

Sawdust I know you also have a 2WD Ram. Are you telling me that if I experimented with MY Ram and find out I can saftly pull it by flooding the trans and do it for probably less than 50 bucks that would not have value.

GP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2011, 01:58:47 PM »

Camper Joe,
Are you telling me you are going to a trailer after I invested a perfectly good Saturday making parts for a tow bar mount that you are no longer going to use.
Well, you did bring Debbie and good food to the event.
George

George & Debi
Indiana
99 Prevost XLV - Angola Conversion
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 07:36:41 PM »

We have decided that for at least this trip we will use the flood method.  I don't think we will have time to add the box,  but we can pump it back out the fill tube.  The question is,  how do you know you got enough fluid in?  Is two quarts extra enough for the gmc sierra?

Don and Cary
GMC4107
Neoplan AN340

and soon to be 1973 05 Eagle

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: