Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 05:19:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lube pump or disconnect  (Read 3405 times)
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »

This flooding the trans sounds very interesting to me.

I would not prefer to use my Ram as a test platform and the "appropriate additional fluid needed" is a little vague. What are we talking about here 1 gal?

Pull the yoke out of the tailshaft and add fluid till it starts coming out to see just how much extra is needed to get the level to that point?

I am under the assumption that lubricating the bushing in the tailshaft is what is needed to pull a car with an automatic without idling or disconnecting the shaft.

Are there other considerations?

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2011, 10:55:56 AM »

Joe, I have seen hundreds of the flood syetems on different brands .
They use a recovery tank like you have for engine then they splice the cooler lines install valves and have a line to the filler tube they add 2 quarts they add the 2 quarts to the tank open the valve on the filler tube when they arrive they start the engine open valves on the cooler and pump it back into the tank the oil never leaves the unit pretty neat.
 I have never tried it myself but I did have a Remco pump that failed that cost me 3 grand,I think if I was going with Remco it would be a disconnet for me.
 I have a bad attitude towards Remco over the 3 grand because of their pump failure they politely to me to go to hell

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
sawdust_128

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2011, 12:31:27 PM »

Put on the drive line disconnect and be done with it. 

You can pull the knob when you need to and can reconnect in a matter of seconds. 

When it is first installed,  you might have some issues with it as the parts loosen a bit.  After a little use,  just slide under and cinch everything up to where they are tight. 

Keep it clean, spray it down to eash it.  Test it once a month.

When I haven;t used it in a while,  I will wash it and spray wd40 all over it.

REMCO's support is excellent.

If someone else installs it,  make sure you tell them you want to keep  the original drive shaft (i.e.,  don't beat it up) .  This way you can reinstall it into the vehicle and unmount the disconnect when it is time for a new TOAD.  REMOCO may well be able to rework the unit for your next TOAD and save some expense. 

I did not do my own install.  I don;t think it was too difficult,  but I had it installed while I was on the road.   Install costs were about $400.  REMCO can supply a list of installers.

If you know someone who uses one,  have them show you the reconnect operation.  Most people make the mistake of trying to go too fast during the reconnect. 

It is a gentle, easy process. 
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 03:51:04 AM »

I'm going to a trailer. If I think I have stubled across a good idea in the meantime that works well and has little or no cost I am very interested.

My decision to go to trailer is based on the high cost of setting up a toad combined with being stuck with it, because of that expence, for an entirly too long a period of time. Driveshaft disconnect is a big part of it.

Sawdust I know you also have a 2WD Ram. Are you telling me that if I experimented with MY Ram and find out I can saftly pull it by flooding the trans and do it for probably less than 50 bucks that would not have value.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
GP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2011, 01:58:47 PM »

Camper Joe,
Are you telling me you are going to a trailer after I invested a perfectly good Saturday making parts for a tow bar mount that you are no longer going to use.
Well, you did bring Debbie and good food to the event.
George

George & Debi
Indiana
99 Prevost XLV - Angola Conversion
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 07:36:41 PM »

We have decided that for at least this trip we will use the flood method.  I don't think we will have time to add the box,  but we can pump it back out the fill tube.  The question is,  how do you know you got enough fluid in?  Is two quarts extra enough for the gmc sierra?

Don and Cary
GMC4107
Neoplan AN340

and soon to be 1973 05 Eagle

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: