Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 03:12:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vehicle Wrap (vinyl) removal  (Read 10162 times)
paulrobie

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 07:11:45 AM »

Thanks all for the suggestions. I guess I'll have to dig out the old heat gun and get to it. I may try the Dad's that Pete359EX suggested but if the heat gun works out I'll just do it that way. To remove the adhesive remaining, I'm thinking acetone and a butt load of rags... (good thing I used to be in the t-shirt printing business).

Organization is the sign of a sick mind..
1981 MCI - MC 9
Pete359EX
86 Prevost XL

any excuse to buy new tools

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »

Keep in mind Paul, the Dad's I'm using on the paint. Don't know how it will react on vinyl. I will try when I get an opportunity.

Fred, 1986 Prevost XL, just beginning...Plans for roof raise, slide-outs, extension to 45', and maybe repower to CAT.
babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 09:04:03 AM »

My bus had the wrap changed three times.  They just put another layer over the top. Shocked Now I am stuck with the Heat gun to remove.  Angry

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 09:19:56 AM »

The pros I've been around, when faced with large vinyl wraps like a bus or semi trailer, use a propane weed torch as the heat source. It works really well. You have to be careful and always keep the torch moving, but it doesn't take long to heat and remove large sections of vinyl this way.

I have done this on a Freightliner tractor with fiberglass body panels and as long as you don't stop the torch in one spot for longer than a second or so, it works really well.

Like this:

http://tinyurl.com/propaneweed

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 09:53:45 AM »

The commercial strippers I have used in the past didn't want to work Grin

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
paulrobie

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 10:15:09 AM »

The pros I've been around, when faced with large vinyl wraps like a bus or semi trailer, use a propane weed torch as the heat source. It works really well. You have to be careful and always keep the torch moving, but it doesn't take long to heat and remove large sections of vinyl this way.

I have done this on a Freightliner tractor with fiberglass body panels and as long as you don't stop the torch in one spot for longer than a second or so, it works really well.

Like this:

http://tinyurl.com/propaneweed

Bob

Cool, I may just give this a try as I have one of these we use to start our pits at cook-offs.... I'll let ya know how it works.

Organization is the sign of a sick mind..
1981 MCI - MC 9
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 05:13:07 PM »

Hey now BW just suggested a "cheap easy solution"!
Try getting it "de-identified!" 
Just take it down into the center of the gheto and park it with a dozen or so cans of spray paint next to it! I guarantee you when you come back for it........you won't recognize it! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 05:19:33 PM »

Or... Just park it over night at the Bronx terminal market, nah! that won't work, the wrap will be gone as well as the wheels bumpers etc Cheesy

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 04:38:46 AM »

I use my hot water pressure washer for removing the large decals on otr trucks, rental excavators, man lifts and the like. Over the years, I have scrapers and heat, but really hot water works for me because the decals can be several feet long on the large stuff. It can take the paint off, but normally I paint them when I get done anyway. Course, the pressure was a bit more spendy than a scraper...but a good investment, as it does great on mechanical components as well, which helps the resale value. Just a thought.

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: