Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 01:11:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: easiest/cheapest/best way to remove a front tire?  (Read 5604 times)
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2011, 01:23:47 PM »

I need to remove my front tires in order to do some work under the bus.... I have never ever changed a tire before! even on a regular car! I have road side assistance insurance for that! But I have now reached a point where I should man up (even though Im a girl lol) I need to know what to buy and how best to go about this.... Im about 110 lbs and do not have much upper body strength so I will probably need to use an equalizer Suggestions? I would like to do this by myself, or maybe put it off until my son is here to help...

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 01:35:31 PM »

I think the best way for you is to get somebody to help. I think the tire weighs more than you Grin I ask my daughter if she would like a steak dinner first. Then I go in for the kill that I need her and her boyfriend to get all the weeds out of the flower beds first. Then I pull him off that job once they get going and send him under the bus with a grease gun. He is getting better at it. He even knows to look for hoses rubbing now.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 01:36:18 PM »

Wwll first off your going to need a jack.  I saw a kid use one on my bus the other day that was the shizzle.  It is a hydrolic bottle nose jack that can be pumped by hand or pumped with air from a compressor (bus compressor will do it).  a good heavy board like a 4 x 4  about a foot long.

I don't know what your bus is nor where to put it to jack it up.  I am sure Luvrbus will be along in a minute and he can direct you right to it.  I would suggest investing the money on a 1 inch impact wrench to run off the compressor as well.  It would be a snap for you with those two tools.  Little pricy but worth it in my opinion.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 01:47:43 PM »

I should have mentioned, I do have the bus blocked up now. I went a little over board and bought a 50,000 lb bottle neck jack when i first got the bus  Roll Eyes  Grin It was an all day job to get it up in the air and blocked, but it is now. It is blocked at multiple locations, front, under the engine cradle and various places under the bulk heads. It's on cut down rail road ties on top of hard compacted desert dirt.

Eddie, you are right! The tire does weigh more then me lol That was one reason I really never wanted to have to remove them by myself....... argh!

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 02:11:05 PM »

If you had smooth ground The best setup would be one of these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lb-capacity-mechanical-wheel-dolly-67287.html

We used to use these at United for those 747 tire changes and brake changes.

Brice

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 02:16:18 PM »

IMHO at some point you will need a decent impact wrench.  I have a 1" and a 3/4"...the 3/4 is pretty good for just about anything, but every so often I have to break out the 1".  Others here use a torque multiplier, but you can get in tighter spots (usually) with the impact.  For just wheels I  would prefer a T Multi but I have too much gear so air it is.
As far as handling the wheels....maybe 2 or 3 people.  I can wrestle one just fine on my own, but I'm 6'2".  If I was smaller I would use 2 people and some planning.  The most important thing is that it does not fall on you.  Everyone should understand that if it starts to fall over get out of the way.  Personally if I was concerned I would let if fall flat right away then see if you and your gang could get it up again....if you can.... you have what it takes.  One side of my rear dually was locked together and I needed to get it to a tire shop, I removed the 2 tires as a unit, and rolled them up a ramp into my van.  I think I used a ratchet strap to help me up the ramp.   A locked dually is less tippy than a single but at 240 lb I managed it just fine .

Good luck, have fun.

happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 02:20:21 PM »

dang Brice that would be nice, but I dont have enough concrete yet... one day though! Out here the rubber blow up tires are the best wheeled equipment. But too, I really dont want to buy something that would only be used once..... I could rent though! Ive never needed a compressor before, so I dont have one. I figure I would wait until one gave out on the bus and I wanted to travel a 1000 or so miles before buying one  Grin

Zub, could I interest you in dinner and a little weeding in the garden?

eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 02:23:44 PM »

happycamperbrat, you can't mention the weeds until you have sold them on the dinner lol  Wink
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 02:27:05 PM »

Grin Grin I always screw things up!  Grin Grin

babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »

I just posted something about my dad and it reminded me of what we used to do with the duals on the back of the school buses.
  Jack the bus up until a 2'x 4' 1/4" thick board just slides under the tire. Put some 80W90 rear end grease on it and slide the tire off the studs.  A simple matter of rolling the tire away after that.   Keep your balance at your size it could crush something.
Brice

P.S.  I feel your pain. I can remember droping a split rim tire on the bus when I was so small I couldn't pick it back up.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:41:05 PM by babell2 » Logged

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 02:54:09 PM »

Hey Brat, been reading the replys on how you the 110# person can take the tires off,but i would like to know why you need to take them off?
Good luck Matt

Battle Mountain,NV  Molson,Wa  Yuma,Az

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 03:01:39 PM »

truck tire dolly and one of these 
TRUCK LUG WRENCH TORQUE MULTIPLIER NO IMPACT OR COMPRESSOR NEEDED

and someone else to move the tire around for you!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 03:42:27 PM »

110 lbs call a tire shop

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 04:24:14 PM »

I'm with Loverbus...Get help. The first time is always better with two. You will learn how first hand with out getting hurt...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 04:27:09 PM »

Best to use those eyes and blink at a strong gent.  Be safe it takes a long time to mend. otherwise use some kind of mechanical assist. Engine hoist--  forks on tractor--If it starts to fall let it go! tire shop will probably make service call for 50$ might be cheaper in long run.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: