Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 01:12:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Airline style coffee makers  (Read 5099 times)
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 06:15:37 PM »

RJ:

Growing up, my parents had the sister product to your Dad's glass Pyrex pot. It was the white Corning Wear pot that sat on the stove burner.  It had an internal basket and the perk top.  There was something fascinating about watching it as a kid.  ... and the aroma couldn't be beat.

There is just something about camping and coffee. (in a bus, or otherwise camping).  I camp with a Boy Scout troop, and there have been many rainy and cold weekends where I survived on coffee.  Seems I've had everything from really good to really bad coffee prepared in all sorts of ways.  On one trip, the guy that was supposed to bring the camp coffee pot, forgot it.  We had ground coffee, but no means to perk it.  We resorted to "cowboy coffee", dumping the grounds into water and boiling it over a fire. As a last step, we dumped two raw eggs into the pot. Most of the coffee grounds stuck to the blob of cooking egg, taking care of that problem.  Worked pretty well and honestly, I've had worse coffee in some restaurants.   

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 06:31:28 PM »

I would like to know where to find them that cheap also!

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 04:39:38 PM »

RJ Any army cook can tell you that a little salt in the fresh brewed coffee will cut the bitterness.  Also egg shells will help settle the grounds on Camp Coffee or as you call it Cowboy Coffee.

WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 06:30:35 PM »

Since this topic has bubbled back into view again, let me mention that I did go and do a little looking into the Keurig machines.  While in our local grocery store, I also noticed they carry the K-cups that have been mentioned. I was a bit surprised at the cost. In a particular brand of coffee (Green Mountain) a pack of 12 K-cups was the same price as a full one pound foil bag.... $7.96

Seems like you are paying an awful lot for the convenience.  I took a look at some other coffee brands, too. From the quick math I was cranking, for the cost of one individual K-cup serving, I can pretty much brew a 12 cup pot in a Mr. Coffee with the same brand. 

There was a comment made that they can be found cheaper on-line, but I guess you have to buy in bulk to offset shipping costs. Just seems like lone of those deals where they get you to buy the razor and soak you on the razor blades.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 07:01:21 PM »

I still want to know where they can be found that cheap,  bulk or not. It is pricey, but, I love coffee, and I love a fresh cup whenever I want it. Pots of coffee get wasted, because no one wants it after it has set a while, so , It gets poured out.

loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 07:11:26 PM »

I have a two coffee machines, one http://www.nespresso.com/#/us/en uses a premeasured packet similar to the Keurig and a Jura http://www.jura-capresso.com/home_jura-capresso_x.htm uses whole coffee beans.

The Jura is good for cups of coffee, Americano style, and the Nespresso is good for Lattes and espressos. 

Since we make coffee by the cup we've never had a problem with spillage or spoilage.

The French press is another simple gadget that is good for the bus.

Remember, coffee is the most important meal of the day.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
justin25taylor

1974 05 Eagle and 1986 10 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 06:50:57 AM »

Sorry Gang,
I haven't been on the board in a few days. If it does not violate forum rules, I will post some links to the "Deal Sites" for Kurig K-cups soon as I get to my computer.

Justin

Sent using Iphone!
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 03:22:36 PM »

You can get the reusable cup for the Keurig and use whatever coffee brand that floats your boat, Community dark roast for me or Seaport.

Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 09:32:47 AM »

Reading this thread has made me realize that i NEED a single cup Keurig style single cup  coffee maker. We drink LOTS of coffee and are happy with how we do it but this looks like you can get coffee just as good(or better) but with less wastage. Not to mention the selection.
So my first instinct was to go on Craigslist and buy the "cheapest" unit available.
But that sometimes is not the best criteria for selection so I thought I would ask on here who has a Keurig K-cup "style" coffee maker, what kind and why is it better or worse than other cheaper or more expensive units.

My initial thoughts are that we would continue the coffee we use now (french press) but with the reusable basket available for the single cup brewers.
Your comments would be appreciated.

I should also mention that this is for home use, not the bus.

Thanks

Fred Mc.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 12:01:05 PM »

Hi Wayne,

I also am a fussy coffee drinker... lol  I tried a Kurig machine last year and I was not too happy with the coffee until I found

Dark Magic. All the other K cup coffee's are just too weak for me. I had to just except a change in how I brewed coffee. Shocked

I was also concerned about filtering my water so I returned my first Kurig and tried the platinum model. Link..

http://www.keurig.com/brewers/platinum-brewing-system

This unit has a replacable filter and temp settings as well as cup size. This thing is just too easy... I love it now!

I now have one in the bus and my office. Grin

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 02:15:48 PM »

Fred , granted the single size cups are a bit more expensive, and the economy is in the re-useable basket, but I found that the re-useable basket was not as strong as I like.

I also second that motion about dark magic. That is the flavor of all time, and is what got me hooked on this Keurig machine to begin with. I have tried it single serve and in the basket and I prefer single serve better.

Dave

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 07:11:12 PM »

Justin, please post link or pm it to me. We go thru a ton of k cups on the road with several coffee drinkers. Also, as far as a recommendation, we have the professional keuirig. Purchased it off of ebay. Yes, it is expensive, but worth it to us. Hook it up to water line with in line filter. Can select a 6 oz to 10 oz brew size. We also use it to make a glass of ice tea too. Oh, it also has a bin in the bottom that the k cups empty into, and when it is full, it tells you to empty it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:12:56 PM by ruthi » Logged

zimtok

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 06:59:37 AM »

Fred , granted the single size cups are a bit more expensive, and the economy is in the re-useable basket, but I found that the re-useable basket was not as strong as I like.

Coffee from a pre-ground can will always be weaker...
Buy the strong coffee of your choice in whole bean, grind the coffee yourself and grind it as fine as possible and the coffee will be a lot stronger.

I have an under cabinet mounted coffee maker and coffee can be made as we drive down the road without any spills....
(drinking the coffee as we are on the road proves to be much more of a challenge for some)

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 09:20:12 AM »

Since this thread has continued for a while, I just wanted to again suggest looking at Delonghi automatic machines.  I realize that some may have thought that I was joking (heaven forbid) when I posted the link to a $1500. coffee machine, but we seriously do have one.  I did not actually go out and buy it myself, but encouraged the kids to chip in together to get is for Mom's birthday some 3-4 years ago.  My share was a mere $300.  It really can be gotten for less then $1000.  Now, if the automatic milk steaming and foaming are not of interest, there are even cheaper ones.

Aside from the perfect cup of coffee from fresh ground beans every time, we as busnuts, meaning aficionados of mechanical things, can get to enjoy this wonderfully engineered machine going through its paces with each cup of coffee.  It may be true that this a ridiculous amount of money to spend for coffee, but on the other hand, we have all spent ridiculous amounts on money on things that gives us less pleasure.  I must say, even though we have used the machine for years, I still feel happy just turning it on.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: