Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 08:22:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shipping a bus from CA to TX  (Read 3397 times)
Pixelhead

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2011, 09:22:47 AM »

Does anyone know of the best places to get quotes from to ship a bus from Victorville, CA (NE of L.A.) to Ft. Worth, TX?

The dimensions of he rig are 34' 3" Long X 8' Wide (plus mirrors?) X 10' Tall. It's a 1963 Flxible Starliner. Here's a pic of my rig:

I know that it needs to be transported via a drop bed trailer, but I've only found a few resources for getting quotes and am wondering if there are good web sites or brokers that people have had success working with.

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 09:27:42 AM »

You should be able to get any trucking company that runs "drop deck" trailers to bring it back to DFW for a reasonable price for you.
Might try Uship.com ! I used it an found a guy to bring me one of my Setra's from Idaho to TN for $3000.

Good luck!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:29:32 AM »

Might try posting it on Uship.com . No cost to register and quite often truckers that are deadheading
look there for loads. I have never moved anything that size, but have moved truck cabs, etc that way.
HTH....Tim   Wink Wink

I guess BK was posting at the same time.......

Cawston, British Columbia
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 09:44:39 AM »

Since the bus is low and short, it should fit on a low boy trailer without over width or over height problems.  You should be able to move it around $2.00/mile.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 09:52:33 AM »

Since the bus is low and short, it should fit on a low boy trailer without over width or over height problems.  You should be able to move it around $2.00/mile.  Good Luck, TomC

Sounds like trucking is more reasonable than wrecker service? Maybe its the difference between "emergency" vs not being in a big all fire hurry.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 10:03:59 AM »

Try  http://www.greatwesttruckcenter.com/#25929

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 10:09:31 AM »

There is a guy in Mesa with a Landall that does hauling I forgot his name but if you contact Boomer on this board he has the number he hauled a GM from AZ for Mark at a good price and without your's in the running mode it will take a little help loading a Landall type is going to be your best bet  

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 10:09:50 AM »

For long distances a truck is almost always going to be less money if your bus will fit on a trailer.  A tow truck will generally have to make a trip home empty.  Truckers often go all over the country and they can often find another load so they aren't heading back home empty.  With a truck you won't have to pull your drive shaft or axles and you won't have to worry about tires on your bus.

I had to have my trailer with no axles towed in Elko, NV.  Flatbed was $135 an hour and the Lowboy was $160 an hour.  I didn't ask about a heavy duty wrecker.  I was going to have the trailer hauled on the Lowboy, but it was booked for the day by the time I called them back.  The flatbed worked, but it was more work to get it loaded.  Obviously, a flatbed would not work for a bus.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 10:12:38 AM »

Quote from: artvonne
  Sounds like trucking is more reasonable than wrecker service? Maybe its the difference between "emergency" vs not being in a big all fire hurry.

Wrecker are a specialized piece of equipment that may or may not get used on a daily basis. (kinda like a bus)

Where as trucks are made to roll, roll, roll down the highway day after day.

And also much like a bus liability insurance is a bitch too!                  
Grin  BK  ;

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 03:11:38 PM »

If there's a way to get it onto a drop deck trailer, that would be cheapest.

Ramp to reach the deck someplace at/near where it is now?

Otherwise, the equipment haulers with the landoll style trailers with a winch, which will cost a little more, specialized equipment again.

Yes, use the load boards, and be patient, you should get lots of hits in that corridor.

Give your potential transporter a chance to put together another load to build a round trip. They will settle for a cheaper rate, if the transporter knows there is money both ways.

If you want the best price, you should be naming your price, and see if they'll take it, and be prepared to negotiate a little. Call me a mean $%^%! , I'd be starting down at $1987.50 gross for the trip and  then see what you get for a counter offer. A ruthless, and godless, $%^$# would offer $1325 to start.... do your own math and quote gross numbers for the trip, don't talk miles per, that's their job, don't be helping their profit-loss or truck stop bragging calculations, confirm insurance coverage with their provider. A fax or e-mail to forward the documents is normal.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 03:21:46 PM »

Just curious, Victorville is about 100 miles from me..... does the bus run? Can it be driven to Texas?

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 03:35:04 PM »

That is a gorgeous coach! It belongs in the Great State of Texas!  Grin

Safe travels!

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Pixelhead

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 06:18:43 PM »

I tried Uship.com and only got one response which was a canned one about how people should spend more $$ for quality shipping and he didn't even quote an amount. I responded saying that the only reason I was on the site was to find out how much $$ it would cost. He came back with $3180 as a quote that expired on the 11th. I was hoping for more like $2500.

happycamperbr: The bus does not run. I wish I could drive it to TX, but that's not possible.

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 06:26:56 PM »

Don't be discouraged by the rhetoric. That's a negotiating tactic.

Although he's right, there's a lot of crappy paying freight out there.

He's up at $2.40 a mile, not so outrageous. What kind of trailer was involved?

Keep going, every interaction gives you an idea of where the market is.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 06:27:27 PM »

For what it is going to cost you to ship it can you get it runnable?

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: