Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 04:13:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GUTTERS....Worth putting back on ot Not?  (Read 1321 times)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2006, 02:18:38 PM »

Hey All,

Since the reskinning I have been debating on putting the gutters back on.

Heres my thoughts:

Hasn't bothered me so far!

Since 80% of the windows are now gone do I really need them?

Probably an extra hundred holes on each side to reinstall..Future leaks?

I am leaning to leaving them off as I plan on awnings in the future.

Question to you: 

Pro's or Con's maybe I am not thinking about.

Anyone else leave them off?

Wish you had or hadn't?

Cliff
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 03:58:57 PM by FloridaCracker » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 06:47:42 PM »

Cliff,
I would put them back on at least over the windows, they will stop the rain water and water from the air conditioner from just running over the side of the roof then down into open windows, or under the seals around them..

I would think that there is more a chance of a window leaking than the rivits holding the gutters on, especially if you seal under them prior to putting them back on.
Just my 2 cents, BUT, its your bus! do it your way.
Jim Callaghan 4106
Wisconsin

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 07:34:30 PM »

Hello Cliff,
I left the butt-ugly OEM (MCI) gutters off, but plan to install RV style gutters.   Since you haven't installed an awning yet, consider using an RV style gutter with an awning track.   May be able to position it so that all your windows could, when you wish, have awnings utilizing one track/ gutter combo on each side. 
Gutters will sure keep the bus looking better. 
Hope to see you and family at Timmonsville!  Remember, diesel fuel is cheaper in South Carolina!
I'll make a deal with you....I'll come to Arcadia this winter if ya'll come up here for Timmonsville!  Smiley
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 06:35:20 PM »

Cliff,
    Before you install the drip rail, get a roll of butyl rubber tape and put it on the back of the drip rail bore installing.  This will prevent leaks and keep water from getting between the drip rail and the body.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 08:33:28 AM »

When I changed my windows from the rattely, leaky transit windows to the much liked Peninsula windows, the rain gutters had to come off since they covered the top hinge of the emergency window release.  I numbered and kept them with me when I made the trip back up to Vancouver, Wa to have them installed last Oct.  As it turns out, since the windows had to be mounted on the outside, they protruded into the line of the rain gutter.  Since they are made of aluminum, Peninsula has a nice table saw with a carbide tip blade they use to cut aluminum, and we made a cut on the edge to facilitate the extra width of the new windows.  After I reinstalled them, I silicone them so the only place they could drain was at the ends of the bus (the best quality GE silicone is unbelieveable compared to what it was just a few years ago.  When it first came out, it was stinky and not very good at adhesion.  Now has almost no smell and is an effective light weight glue).  If it rains, they just over flow, which isn't a problem since the whole bus is wet.  With the rain gutters in place, they effectively channel the A/C run off to the ends of the bus and keep from getting streaking when it is not raining.  Plus, on my bus the rain gutters also covers up the joint between the roof and the side walls.  All in all, wouldn't consider not having them.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 11:51:31 AM »

The gutters on my bus are especially neat - if you look at the pic of my bus on page 8 of the 'POST YOUR BUS PICTURES HERE' thread you will see them. There are three matching rubber mouldings down the side of the bus - one is a rub-rail across the baggage doors, one covers the join between glass and bodywork at the bottom of the windows, and the third does the same thing at the top of the windows. The top moulding also incorporates the 'gutter groove' moulded into the top of it. The mouldings are very smart and 'modern looking', and the way the top one incorporates the gutter is very neat and also solves the various problems associated with rivetted-on metal gutters. Might be worth trying to find a supplier of this material; if you want I could take a close-up photo of the moulding so you can get a better idea what it looks like.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 06:58:04 PM »

Cliff, if you haven't found a suitable gutter, this is what I've been looking at: http://www.all-rite.com/
They offer most mouldings that are offered by S&S builders.  If you sign up with them, they'll get you a better price.  Gotta be a dealer though...anyone an All-Rite RV dealer?  If anybody wants to pool resources, I may be a player in a "group" effort.  I've gotta get some gutters someday.   At least the bus lives inside...not exposed to rain.  Crap off the roof will streak up the sides.   My biggest complaint is that the front AC condensate runs right down the center of the front bay door.  Murphy is responsible for that.   

JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: