Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 02:23:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire prices - ouch! Mistake!  (Read 3120 times)
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« on: September 15, 2006, 02:38:46 PM »

Last year, before leaving on a trip, I spotted a steering tire which was having some separation.   So, pressed for time, I had it replaced.  Didn't pay that much attention to price.  Just wanted to "git 'er done".  The tire dealer put on a Toyo tire.  Now, a year later, I want to replace the other steering tire and match it up.  $469.00 !!  Over $100 more than the comparable Bridgestone tires.  Two different distributers came back with about the same price.  For some reason, I didn't think about the consequences in the future when I would have to match up a second tire to match the other steer tire. 

Oh well, if I can help someone else out by my mi$take, at lea$t it won't be a total lo$$     Angry   Grin

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 02:49:56 PM »

Phil,

Don't feel bad.....

I have fuel in my tank that I thought was a bargain until today....

Its impossible to predict changes in the world market....Just glad I have all new tires from last year Grin

See, you made me feel better Wink

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 03:38:52 PM »

TOYO tires uuuused to be a value.......until they got a large demand and a following.....

My Ditributor told bme 12r22.5's in a rib are backordered and won't be in country till after the new year....unless someone had them in stock already
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 03:43:34 PM »

Yes, from the different distributers, I can only find a total of 3 - - TIRES - - in Illinois.  Not leaving me much negotiating room.

Aaarrrgh.    (National Talk like a Pirate day is September 19th)

Best Regards, Phil

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 07:41:53 PM »

Aaarrrgh, Matie

Thier she blows.....[air horns]  Iiii spotted a land lubber [bus nut]

swaaab de deck mate [clean the bus]    D map will lead us to Goold [gps route to Arcadia]

Just some fun......

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 08:27:46 PM »

Smartly done thar Nick.   Grin

And for those who can't resist ( and who would want to be resistin' something International in scope like this? ) see ye:

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/faq.html

to be startin' .

Googling  same provides will be providin'  a major amount of hits.

Avast!    Cheesy

aaaaarrrr

Dallas

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 04:53:50 AM »

♫♪♫♪ I want to sing and dance,
I want to sing and dance.
in the "Pirates of Penzance".
Wear me silver buckle slippers and me tight shiney pant's,
I want to sing and dance!♫♪♫♪
-------Ray Stevens

JLL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 11:44:04 AM »

IN June I bought 6 new toyos 11- 22.5 in Hood River Oregon,  mounted and balanced for $1900.
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 01:23:31 PM »

Good afternoon JLL,

Welcome to the group! 

I should have mentioned, these are the bus tires,  12 R  - 22.5.  And those seem to have quite a premium.  Though the Bridgestones were about $100 + less per tire.  They had some good deals on the 11 R 22.5, but that wouldn't have matched my other steering tire.

Best Regards, Phil

Ross

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 04:12:02 PM »

Last year this time I bought 6 Sumotomo's for $260 each.  Two weeks ago the same tire was $385 each.

Ross
Craig R

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 12:56:26 PM »

What's your spare look like, Phil? perhaps it's time to stow the Toyo in the hold and  match your previous spare instead -- replace and match maybe.
Craig R
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 01:19:51 PM »

Greetings Craig!  Welcome to the board - and thanks for jumping in on this thread  to offer some advice for my tire woes.   Grin

Swapping out with a good spare,, and making it the new primary steer tire along with another new (less expensive) steer tire is a great idea.

Unfortunately in my case, the spare is, uhm, well, not very good.  In fact, I'm thinking of moving the tire I will be replacing, and making it the new spare.  The old spare needs to be taken to tire heaven now.   Cheesy

How is it going with your engine problems with your 6v71?

Kind Regards, Phil

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 02:57:35 PM »

Hey Phil,
Here's a thought that I avoided mentioning to you as I know most busnuts are limited on a budget. But a lot of times when I find myself in your position with a "new" tire and an outrageous price on a "brand new" tire to replace it, I take one I haev and use it as a spare. Then I buy a pair of steer tires (I always try to buy steer tires as a pair, & always put "new" tires on the steer and relocate the old ones as needed), as time goes on and I need to replace drives I take the "best drive tire" and replace it as the spare then I buy 3 tires (what ever good tire I can get at a fair price) and put the "like new" spare on with the 3 new tires. So far after maintaining commercial charter buses for almost 7 years now this has worked out to be a great way of doing it. But I also know ya'll go thru don't go thru tires like we do!  But for what it's worth theres my idea! BK Grin

PS If yer coming to the "TN FALL BUS BASH @ Knuckle's" I can probably get you a good price on some Kumho's or Wahn Li's (or something like that * I got 7 of 'm on the drives along with 1 Gd Yr and no problems since MAY)

"TN FALL BUS BASH @ Knuckle's" is the place to be! Oct. 26th-31st[/size]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 03:07:47 PM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Craig R

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 09:20:27 PM »

Good memory, Phil, and thanks for the encouragement. Exploration of my 6V71 problem has been delayed a little while. On that same trip I noticed a seeping leak from one of my radiators. I've yanked both radiators and the surge tank and sent them for maintenance/repair; so I can't run the engine until that system's reassembled. You wouldn't happen to know where a fella could get a new lens for the sight glass on the surge tank on an MC5C, would you?
Craig R
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 05:06:11 AM »

Hi Craig,

I don't know where to find that part - If it were me, I'd post a new topic, with the heading - need surge tank sight glass for MCI5C

My guess is you would get a suggestion from that post.

You might also try your regular mechanic for heavy work - unless of course, you do that yourself.  In which case, that wouldn't help in this case.   Wink

Please do keep us posted on your progress.

Hope this helps, Phil

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: