Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 05:13:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1975 flxible allison transmission problems, someone know trannys well?  (Read 4397 times)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 02:29:46 PM »

Hello Kbunny.

I posted over on BNO, too, and after a bit more thought....

Your shifter is a manual handle type mounted down low on the front dash, or beside the driver's seat, I'd assume you have a V-730 Allison automatic transmission. Which is a three speed with lock-up, not a 4 speed.

Call Luke at US Coach, 888-262-2434

It might be cheap and easy for you to fix yourself.

As you have noted, there are many sharks out in the ocean, both dishonest and unskilled.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
kbunnystarr

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 02:56:01 PM »

the entire dash and front area drivers and passanger has been redone in hardwood, the dash and switches an dall gauges are on the left side of the bus to the left of the drivers seat, under the sliding window...the shifter is sorta like a togle switch, with lights next to each gear marker 1,2,3,n, r each has its own light, its not like a handle or shifter at all...i emailed th eguy i got it from to ask him...will let you know if he resonds..........and i will look at the plate you are asking about as soon as i get back to az......thanx for the # and the thoughts on bot boards

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
kbunnystarr

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 03:11:28 PM »

ok, so i just heard bacvk from the guy i got it from, he said it is a V-730.  that he was using straight 40 in the tranny fluid, but drained it and put new seals and put 27 quarts of ATF in.  said it will be darkish for awhile and will clear up to a pinkish.   does that help anyone know anythign?

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 05:37:52 AM »

???so if it was yer bus, what would you do first?  as far as step one, 2, 3 etc......to figuring out the issues and how to go about fixing?  its hard cause i dont know mechanics much, and being female and not being taken advantage of.......ya know>?>

I certainly understand your situation.

If I were in your shoes, after I had talked to all the good contacts you've been given here, and contacted an Allison repair shop, I'd find a man in the Havasu area who works with big equipment and would be willing (probably for a fee) to help you find someone near there who works on trucks and/or buses and/or large automatic transmissions and look out for your best interests.

I'm not familiar with that area, but there has to be some heavy equipment companies, truck repair, or possibly bus or truck companies nearby who could at least offer suggestions for repair facilities.

I'm sure there are some busnuts in that area. I keep hoping one of them will contact you and help you find someone there who can help.

Anyone??  ...  Anyone at all?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 05:59:48 AM »

Go talk to Robert Clark the owner of Diesels N' More.  He services the buses for one of the local tour bus companies . I think his shop is on N. Acoma Blvd.  which is 1 block north of Industrial Blvd.  Go up the hill about 2 blocks and he is on the left  side down a short street.  May have moved his shop as that was supposed to just be a temp location but he should be in the book. Nice guy, very fair, gave me a quote for some work and the final bill was $40 less than his estimate.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2006, 06:50:27 AM »

Kristine, sorry that I can't add directly to the comments that have been posted. 

However, my input is to warn you about a transmission company called Arizona Transmission.  There have been a lot of posts in the past about folks being ripped off by them.  I did a search on BNO (got a couple of hits, but not the one I was looking for) and this board (too new).  My guess is that the thread(s) was on the old MAK board.

In any case, the input for this company was not good.

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2006, 06:55:47 AM »

They are located near the airport. My estimated $6-8000 engine swap out from a 6V92 to an 8V92 ended up costing me over $25,000! And their dogs got in the coach and chewed up a lot of the upholstery.
Richard

Kristine, sorry that I can't add directly to the comments that have been posted. 

However, my input is to warn you about a transmission company called Arizona Transmission.  There have been a lot of posts in the past about folks being ripped off by them.  I did a search on BNO (got a couple of hits, but not the one I was looking for) and this board (too new).  My guess is that the thread(s) was on the old MAK board.

In any case, the input for this company was not good.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
kbunnystarr

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2006, 06:59:20 AM »

thank you guys for these latest posts as well.........!!!!!!!! wow that one place is s forsure stay away from!!!

here is the latest from the guy i bought the bus from:

100% positive it is a V730.  If you open the trans door, you will see the hydrolic (F & R) shifter going to the trans itsself.
a company in Texas makes that shifter . Electic shift with hydrolic assist.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2006, 07:07:59 AM »

Kristine- Both the 8V-71N and the V730 are incredibly reliable and rugged.  Without a more scientific explanation of what is happening, you should hook up with both an engine and transmission shop.  First get the transmission issues fixed, then get the engine looked at in respect to possible broken piston rings that would cause black smoke.  I have my bus at Don Fairchilds as we speak (with the same engine setup).  He is turboing my engine, and while it is out I'm having the transmission rebuilt.  My wife and I decided to bite the bullet and have it done since we plan to have the bus for at least another 10 years.  All this work is not cheap-it will be into the 5 digit figure.  You just have to decide if you're going to use the bus alot or not.  Big industrial strength equipment is very reliable and long lived.  But when it breaks, it is expensive to fix.
I would probably look into having the bus towed to Phoenix as they have both an Allison and Detroit Diesel factory shops there. You should have the bus loaded on a flat bed, or a Landoll trailer, for the trip there.  Will cost about $6.00/mile.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2006, 11:10:30 AM »

Kristine;

from what you have said The trans is probably locked in third gear, that is why it will go i reverse and not first. See if you can find some one over there to rebuild it,if not see if they can r&r it for you and sent it to me and I will get it to my rebuild guy. You can call me at 1-888-476-3626 or 661-301-4648

Hope this helps

Don
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2006, 02:24:15 PM »

Just thinking out loud...

Belch of black smoke is compatible with the engine being forced to low RPM by the transmission not shifting correctly... reports of engine trying to die under the no acceleration conditions...

I'm betting that the problem is with the tranny, and highly suspicious that the shifting equipment may be responsible, if the screens aren't found plugged.

Kbunny, you aren't faint of heart, you can get the transmission book ordered online, get it on the way, and have a go at checking those screens yourself when you get back to AZ.

Only difference between you and a paid tech, is they might have done it before.

You can't hurt it any more than it is already, if you suceed, money saved, if you don't, it has to be towed anyway, and you can hand over the bag of stuff you removed trying.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

kbunnystarr

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2006, 03:33:46 PM »

:)thanx for your thoughts....where on line would i order the book?  do you kno wspecifically?  or should i just strat lookin on google?

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2006, 04:07:36 PM »

Chuck MC8 sells a lot, and there is a website, coachnet or something like that with lots of books.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

rayshound

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2006, 12:53:08 PM »

Kristine, I am possitive the shifter is a stone Bennet. They are mfg in Texas originally for oil drilling equipt. They are used on alot of allisions and is common on many transit busses. They are air operated. The shifter on the dash is a toggle switch that makes a solenoid valve and the shifter bolted to the transmission rachetts one  detent. The unit also supplies feedback to the dash eigther in a series of lights or an led that displays D,N,R etc. I don't know if this is causing your problem or not it may be putting the transmission between gears. If the shifter is your problem it is an exterinal problem and the transmission will not need to be gone into if there is no damage. I nolonger have the phone number but you might try Googleing stone Bennett in Texas, the owner was very helpful and gave me a lot of info and has any parts for the system.  Hope this helps. Ray
kbunnystarr

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2006, 06:09:53 PM »

Cheesy thank you RAY!  yes, that is what the past owner called the shifter.stone bennet, i didnt remember till you said/typed it ......thank you for your input!!!  i talked to the last owner again, and he is POSITIVE, he keeps saying that it is not the transmission and that it is the governor filter and some pin that points down at you when yer under it and if it is pulled part of the way out it will cut off part of the ....humm...something....and will not give ti full power and it will cause the blk smoke and all my symptoms.......so, i am seriously hoping he is right, he said it happened to him on the way to texas,a nd his mechanic talked him thru it, and it was this simple fix, and it was just the filter on the governor and  so when i am back to az, i am hoping i can "fix' it myself, with him talking me thru it......any thoughts on any of that>?>?>  THANK YOU AGAIN , you made me feel better.....

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: