Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:38:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fried my Xantrex inverter today  (Read 11755 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 10:56:32 AM »

I also heard that AT&T and Sprint were marrying and there wasn't going to be any reception! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 11:26:29 AM »

Thanks guys and gals, You have been great help!!!
John, you have mentioned some good points. I have popped that 30a amp breaker once and was wondering what caused that. I'll be going up to Anchorage in a couple of weeks. I noticed that the dealer I was ranting and raving about sells Magnum also. I'll be quizzing the tech there.

As far as the remote start feature goes, I have a Smart Gen installed. I don't believe I can adjust the amount of time the gen runs though. If I remember right it's just a on/off voltage adjustment.

Also it sounds like you know a lot about inverters. What are your thoughts about pure sinewave or modified sinewave? I have a second inverter in my bus and it runs all my kitchen and interior outlets. The inverter I am having to replace runs one of my duo-therm 600 series roof airs, all my electronics, TVs, stereo, cell booster, Mirage automatic awning and my bay outlets. I use laptop computers, so I'm not too worried about them. I'm just not sure if I really need the pure sinewave.

Thanks,
Gary

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2011, 12:30:16 PM »

I believe that you will need pure sine wave to run the AC's efficiently and without problems.  Probably the same could be said for much of the electronics.  Not an expert opinion, just what I have read.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 02:14:52 PM »

Gary,

I only sound smart cause the "real" heavies aren't chiming in.  I own a couple inverters and one of them is a busted Xantrex but it is repairable and I will get to it sooner or later.

There are lots of guys on here that are getting by without the Pure Sine wave inverters.  They are considerably more expensive is the problem.  The PURE sine wave can be approximated by having a "modified" that runs at really high step rates.  The likes of Sean are coughing and gasping at that but.....   PVCCS, Tom, runs Magnums and they do the Air Conditioner motor OK.  The fact remains that Sean is correct when he says that the efficiency goes in the toilet when you run a inductive load with a Modified sine inverter.  If you can start out with a Pure Sine then do it.  The motor also runs hotter so you risk burning up the load.  Like I said, lots of Knuts are breaking that rule....and it is a hard and firm rule with 'rithmatic and other stuff backing it up.

The auto start feature on a good inverter ALSO turns off the genny when the bats get topped off.  NO WORRIES!  Set and forget forever....and that includes over night.

Safe travels,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
blank

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2011, 02:39:27 PM »

While most of the time all that automatic stuff works just fine, its those odd occasions when they dont that can cause total disasters. I have a hard enough time sleeping with the Gen running. Having something using high current through a large battery bank starting and stopping the Genny would have me up pacing all night. And after reading this thread and some others about inverter problems, I dont think I want one. $5000 would buy a lot of fuel for the Genny, at $4 gal and 1/2 gal hour burn rate, thats 2500 hours.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:47:17 PM by artvonne » Logged
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2011, 03:11:30 PM »

Art,

Your thoughts are pregnant with wisdom.

Thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2011, 03:27:21 PM »

Art your dreaming if you think a generator will only use 1/2 gallon a hr under a load the small 3 cylinders 5.0 kw I have on light towers use more than that they have a 12 gal tank for 8 to 9 hr run time don't believe every thing you read on the net or a manufacture tell you lol

Life is short drink the good wine first
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2011, 05:22:51 PM »

Most generators are not run at full load very often.  My 8KW generator is lucky to see much more than 1/2 load even with both roof ACs cranking.  I think 1/2 gallon per hour is a reasonable number for most bus conversions unless they have a huge generator.

I did 8KW because that was the smallest quiet box RV diesel generator Powertech had at the time.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2011, 05:57:44 PM »

My MSW inverter can not run my electric compressor. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2011, 06:15:13 PM »

OK, OK!  Well, maybe just pregnant. Roll Eyes  Thanks, Clifford Tongue

—Pla
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2011, 06:04:22 PM »

Update,
I just went up to Anchorage to by my new inverter after fighting with Xantrex. I was going to buy the Magnum MS4024 and they were out of stock. So I ended up buying the Out Back VFX3524. I paid 2,840.00 with the remote and cad5 harness. Hopefully the Out Back is better than the Xantrex.

Gary

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2011, 07:41:28 PM »

I have a pretty early run OutBack FX2024.  It has been extremely reliable with no issues.  I hope yours is the same for you.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2011, 01:43:10 AM »

I have a Xantrex and a couple other off brands.  Xantrex is toast once again but I will pay the repair as it is special and should be doing better.

When I was looking the OB was the easy winner.  One thing that amazed me was the "overload" capacity.  Most are 50% for a couple minites max but the OB was 100% for 30 min.  Whatever it was it was outta sighty.  I hope they haven't downed the capacities, and I doubt they did, and I am sure you got a superb piece of equip.  Please share the warranty info.

Thanks,

John

—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2011, 01:50:50 AM »

So my memory failed....again.  It is rated for 3.5KW but will surge to 6KW and run 5KW for 5 seconds but will run in overload at 4KW for a full 30 minutes.  SUPERB!

Good for you,

John

—Pla
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »

The second feature is difficult or impossible to find.  Magnum was supposed to market a model with this feature years ago but it was always delayed.  In this scenario the "pole" is asked to provide more amps than the breaker will allow and the inverter kicks in the bats to augment the inverter and synchronizes everything in phase.  This allows you to start the second air conditioner on a 30 amp breaker. 12 amps plus 25 gives a short duration load of 37 amps but that drops to 25 after start up.  My numbers can be quibbled with, as can anyone's, but you get the picture.  My understanding, as of a year ago, was that only Zantrex made a inverter with that feature and it was a "vintage" one.  Sean has that inverter in his bus and might , make that WILL, know of other newer models.

The Victron Quattro inverter has a "Power assist feature" that works this way.

Check out the details here:
http://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/quattro/

Does anyone here have any experience with Victron?  Seems like a fabulous inverter.

I too had a Xantrex inverter die on me once.  It was a Xantrex XM1000.  I had the original receipt and they replaced it promptly with a new one under warranty.  And then they sent me a second new one to my billing address by mistake too.  I called and asked for instructions on how to send the spare back, and after a month of fumbling around trying to figure out how to arrange for shipping (I wasn't going to pay for it!) they eventually told me to keep it.

Overall, other than getting a free inverter out of them, I'm not impressed with Xantrex...  They bought up a lot of good companies, but the quality isn't there anymore.

- Chris // www.technomadia.com

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: