Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 09:39:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fried my Xantrex inverter today  (Read 12115 times)
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »

I would look for a older Trace unit-- I have a Trace SW2512MC and it has worked flawlessly for over 10 years and has been running the whole time.  It is always hooked up-- either on shore power, battery power, or generator power.  Everyone says Xantrex cheapened the product when they took over Trace.

Gee, I saw this thread popped up again.  I have nothing to say, my 'older" Trace SW2512MC is still working perfectly.

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2011, 06:29:55 PM »

Problem with the Dutch made Victron inverters there is no support what ever here for one I have one in the boat been waiting 4 months for a part go with the Magnum or Outback better price and service

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2011, 07:21:34 PM »

Chris,  They seem to do warranty work OK but after that there is no support.  You don't have to go to Victron to get left.  You can achieve that with domestic stuff.....buy Amerikan.  I wonder what ever became of Magnums grand design?  Dick at Wright's should have answers as he carries them due to their excellent customer support and quality.  Outback seems to be the best but that is a pedestrian opinion of mine.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2011, 08:04:19 PM »

Just thought I'd let you all know that I have been using my new OutBack for two months now and it has been flawless. The thing is very quiet and the fans don't run for very long. I have noticed that the batteries seem to go a lot longer before the gen kicks on. Nothing I use has even hesitated with this new inverter. I LOVE IT so far!!! We will see what happens in a couple of years.

Gary

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
5B Steve

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2011, 05:40:49 AM »

Wow, there has been several post in the last several months about these, I don't have one. Maybe everyone

might take a look and see if all of there electrical connections are in good shape?Huh?? Just a thought!

Steve 5B.....
blank

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2011, 09:26:15 PM »

I see xantrex/trace inverters on ebay cheap. But sounds like some wouldnt want one even if it was free.

Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2011, 10:04:40 PM »

Gary great news about the Outbacks and also I have heard the Magnums are good also.

Xantrex has bought a lot of other inverter companies lately including some of the cheap China ones that are 5000 Watt etc. and are real light weight ones but most are not hard wire type and don't last. The good ones are heavy because of the transformers. The cheap ones also sometimes have plugs which mean they can only be used or should only be used for single items to plug in like Refrigerator or heater etc.

Dave
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:14:08 PM by Dave5Cs » Logged

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2011, 07:27:09 AM »

Paul, be very careful about mixing Xantrex and Trace Inverters. 

Xantrex bought Trace and they ran it into the ground.  Inverters with only the Xantrex name can be some real crap especially in later years.  But Trace inverters were the very best product around. 

We have a SW2512 that we bought in 01 and it has been on the whole time since.  It has features that no other inverter has today.  Many folks have these and they have operated without any flaw for 10s of years.

I have followed the Magnum inverter since they went into business.  The company was started by the ex Trace folks.  The last I checked (couple of years ago) they did not make a unit that has all of the features of the SW2512 or the 24V version.  I really doubt that you will find anyone with the Trace SW series that would want to replace their unit.

I have a standing Ebay search on "Trace inverter" and get very few hits.  At the present time there is only one listed. When I do get notified, the price is always well over $500 and a true sine wave model is never less that $1000.

I would love to find a sine wave unit that I can put on the shelf in case mine ever fails.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2011, 11:15:28 AM »

Same with Heart it was a good inverter before Xantrex most of those guys are at Outback by the way Jim I was told by both they are working on a load sharing inverter but doing changes as Xantrex holds the patent but does not make one now

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: