Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 02:58:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid new definition  (Read 4179 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2011, 10:50:51 AM »

Stupid is the s&s guy who just left campground with slides out on both sides! I offered to help and he said he only had 50 miles to go. and more of less kiss off!  Dumb--his reward from me was a call to Florida State patrol giving his route info. Officer called about 20 minutes later. Guy had sideswiped a semi.No injuries thank the one above... The point of this post is don't do dumb things to save a few minutes to repair.or probably save a quart of auto trans fluid.   Be safe and use your common sense.  and beware of S&S guys(not all) most bus guys wouldn't have done that.    My vent for today.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 11:11:52 AM »

Just when I thought I had heard everything  Roll Eyes Shocked Huh

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 11:26:25 AM »

I saw a bus guy with his design on a slideout go around a mountain curve in Idaho he forgot to lock his slide and it landed in the Payett River along with sofa tore the whole side from his bus,S&S people are not the only dummies.
 I have also seen bus people tear their leveling jacks off by forgetting to lift the jacks you will be surprised at what happens to bus people lol been there done that trees are hell on antennas and roof airs on buses   

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 12:07:47 PM »

Like no one here has ever started to pull out with their electrical cord still plugged in.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »

Like no one here has ever started to pull out with their electrical cord still plugged in.

Hey, I ripped a 3 inch gash in my access door forgetting to pull the plug. You play long enough your bound to screw up sooner or later. But a cord or forgetting the antenna up is one thing, leaving a slide out is another. And leaving it out, how could he use his mirrors? Thats not a dumb mistake, that is total and complete careless negligence.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 12:23:46 PM »

I agree Art! I left an antenna up and yup a tree claimed it, but I did that out of forgetfulness........ not on purpose! There is a difference between being stupid and being forgetfull

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 12:27:45 PM »

I'll tell you a good one a friend of mine I won't name him but he is on this board  he forgot to turn the power off to his slide on a Prevost and his 6 year old grandson ran the slide out with out him knowing it in the rear bedroom and he hit a canopy at a truck stop  and part of the canopy fell on his bus I felt bad for him but we both had to laugh a little when he told me what had happen
By far the dumbest thing I have seen is the guy hitting the parking garage at Phoenix Air Port he was looking at it and hit it away tore the bus up bad now that was stupid trying to drive a 13 ft tall bus into a 9 ft tall parking area with warning signs for a mile

good luck
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:34:33 PM by luvrbus » Logged

David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 05:08:38 PM »

Though this resulted in no bent metal, I read where a guy called out to his wife in the back of the RV and said, "honey I'm stopping for coffee."  No answer came, and he pulled over and she wasn't there.  He realized he left her at the last truck stop 200 miles back Shocked Shocked Shocked

That actually may be worse than a ripped off air conditioner.  Yikes.

David
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 06:54:12 PM »

Though this resulted in no bent metal, I read where a guy called out to his wife in the back of the RV and said, "honey I'm stopping for coffee."  No answer came, and he pulled over and she wasn't there.  He realized he left her at the last truck stop 200 miles back Shocked Shocked Shocked

That actually may be worse than a ripped off air conditioner.  Yikes.

David

I guess the question would be 'Did he drive back?" Grin

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 07:19:36 PM »

Funny you should mention this slide incident.
As I was coming through Knoxville yesterday a teacher on my bus asked what is wrong with that driver of that RV up there? Does someone need to call 911 about his driving?

I looked ahead and sure enough there was a S & S w/toad weaving and jerking along in the middle lane (I was in the fast lane) as we passed him I noticed that part of the jerking was that his tow bar kept going in & out on one side where it wasn't locked in good & the car was jerking the back of the RV side to side.
But as I got farther up along side of him I was horrified to see that his slide was held in with 3-4 black rubber bungy straps and was coming out 12-18" each time it jerked! Also there was a door with vents in it (like for a hot water heater or furnace, too small to be generator) sliding in & out with nothing holding it at all!

I just shook my head in disbelief and hurried on past him while telling her "yes someone should call in on him" and gave her our location and direction of travel!

I have no clue as to whether or not he got stopped or not, but he scared the crap out of me!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 09:07:15 PM »

The worst is trying to look cool when you're leaving and forgetting to put down the TV antenna-don't ask why I know that!  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
brando4905

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 05:26:32 AM »

Way more than once I have not locked the door handle, took that first left hand turn...... Angry Shocked

1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 05:49:40 AM »

I have worked at the MN State Fair RV parking lot exit every year since 2000.  I probably told a dozen people a year that their antenna was up, step was out, or their fold out handrail was out as they were leaving.  I even had one wth the door to the trailer still open!  No slides left out yet.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 06:01:28 AM »

That reminds me of the story that may or not be true but given how lacking common sense we are nowadays I wouldn't doubt it. Someone was taking his brand new motorhome out for the first time. He was going the the road and set the cruise control and got out of his seat and went back to eat something. The motorhome was destroyed and it's unknown how the driver came out of it.
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 06:06:53 AM »

That's why I say that much of the time, warning lables are a waster of ink and paper. For instance, if you are stupid enough to stick your fingers in a snowblower or lawnmower discharge chute while the engine is running, chances are you can't read anyway.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 06:41:49 AM »

Robert ever think about where all the bus people came from lol

good

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 07:53:42 AM »

BK, you tow bar story hit very close to home.  

In 2009 we left the house on a big trip.  We have to drive down a thight twisty canyon and apply the jakes or brakes a bunch.  As we left the house, I could tell that one side of the tow bar was not locking.  Each time we slowed down (jakes or brakes) the toad would shift to the left.  It was not drastic, in terms of jerking (potential damage  to the toad/tow bar/bus), but it was attention getting for both me and folks coming in the other direction (kind of funny to watch their reaction).  I had an appointment at a dealer in Denver to do an emission check and I took the time to work on the tow bar.  I could not disassemble it by myself (really locked together), but the dealer was good enough to help me get it apart.  I thought I had cured the problem, but as we started our journey to Iowa, it was obvious that it was not locking.  I then stopped in a small town and made the temporary  fix shown in the photo below.  I was lucky to have the service truck and some steel bar stock plus a cut-off grinder and the parts to make the fix.  

We made it to Iowa and the relatives house with no further problem.  I was able to rebuild the tow bar in Iowa.  It has worked fine since them.

The saga together with other towing thoughts was documented in a BCM article (June '09)

Jim
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:57:09 AM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 08:01:40 AM »

Could I tell you one on Jim but I won't Jim lol

good luck

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 08:08:27 AM »

Clifford, I suspect you could tell a bunch of stories about me Cheesy Shocked  I am an easy target Wink

I doubt that I would be too ashamed of most anything you post Huh Grin

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 08:14:34 AM »

You are not a easy target Jim I just laugh about the Caverns every time I think about it

good luck

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 09:00:30 AM »

Clifford, we laugh about that story often.

As most of you know, we are in the fire detection/suppression business.  Many years ago we went to the BCM rally at the Caverns.  We were in a S&S and arrive early.  I decided to hang our banner on the side of the motorhome to let folks know we were there.

It was cold, and we fired up the heater.  I told Pat that it sounded funny, but did not think much about it.  After a minute or two, it dawned on me that I had covered the heater exhaust with the banner.  I bolted out the door and found the banner with a big hole melted in it -very obvious.  

The Caverns is kind of divided with the motel just off the highway and the campground on the top of the hill above the motel with about a one mile road leading to it.  The vendors parked down by the motel.

A "good? Grin" friend, Bob Ward, took it upon himself to provide tours from the campground to our motorhome so that folks could see that we almost set ourselves on fire Shocked  Every few minutes we would look out the window and see Bob (a wonderfully funny person and story teller) with some folks on his cart as he gestured towards our banner. 

Clifford, we still have that banner and will bring it out at a future rally.

As I think about it, just by myself, I could fill this thread with "stupid stories" about my adventures Grin Shocked.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:14:42 AM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 09:56:01 AM »

Quote from: rv_safetyman
As I think about it, just by myself, I could fill this thread with "stupid stories" about my adventures Grin Shocked.
Jim

LOL! Jim, yer not alone here my friend trust me I don't post them all & usually then only in a thread that relates too them as an example to others of "what not to do!"
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 02:42:25 PM »

That's why I say that much of the time, warning lables are a waster of ink and paper. For instance, if you are stupid enough to stick your fingers in a snowblower or lawnmower discharge chute while the engine is running, chances are you can't read anyway.

In the Minneapolis/St Paul area, during the 1991 Holloween Snowstorm, the news reported over 900 people at area hospitals with hand injuries from trying to clean snowblowers while they were running.

Just before we moved, a family living in thier house that had been forcleosed, and which had the power shut off, were found dead from running a generator in the basement.

You cant legistlate common sense, you cant force them to read, and you cant force them to comply with warnings, no matter how many you put in front of them. In fact the more warning labels to read, the more they are disregarded.

When I park, I hang the keys on the Antenna crank. Buses dont have keys so what then? Dont know how to warn myself im still plugged in before I pull away, but that 3 inch gash is a good reminder. And I havnt bothered to fix it for just that reason.

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 07:17:57 PM »

When I park, I hang the keys on the Antenna crank. Buses dont have keys so what then? Dont know how to warn myself im still plugged in before I pull away, but that 3 inch gash is a good reminder. And I havnt bothered to fix it for just that reason.

Cheesy That's why I handcuff the wife to the headboard every night. She doesn't complain when I let her go in the morning when she makes breakfast and she definately doesn't get the option to forget!!!! Wink Wink

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 07:57:38 PM »

You keep walking around the rig, doing all the stuff, and then walk around again.

Unless you can walk all the way around without finding something else to touch, you walk around again until you can't.

Then, it might be safe to drive off...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 05:39:07 AM »

We watched several coaches drive away with antenna up and a watched a couple of those get ripped off by branches.  so, when we installed our antennas, I added strong neodynium magnets to the arms of the antenna and a NC magnetic switch bonded to the underside of the aluminum roof skin. This controls both an audible and visual alarm at the driver's area. Now, if I can just figger out how to do this on my shoreline cord (Don't Ask!)  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
blank

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 05:55:52 AM »

Now, if I can just figger out how to do this on my shoreline cord (Don't Ask!)  Jack

Hmmm. How about a switch back at the power cord, that when flipped, works a light/buzzer up front, that either comes on when you energise the master, or when you engage the starter. Of course then you have to remember to flip the switch in the first place.....
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 06:21:47 PM »

Crabby...I hate to tell you...but...the guy that hit cruise and crashed got a wad of money for the manufacturer!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 11:15:34 PM »

That cruise control story is just an urban myth.  You can check it out on Snopes. 

pipopak

I am the 99%

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 07:03:52 AM »

Now, if I can just figger out how to do this on my shoreline cord (Don't Ask!)  Jack

Hmmm. How about a switch back at the power cord, that when flipped, works a light/buzzer up front, that either comes on when you energise the master, or when you engage the starter. Of course then you have to remember to flip the switch in the first place.....

It would be real easy to wire a 110Volt neon light (like a voltage detector) to be ON all the time at the dashboard when the shore line is plugged. They draw next to nothing.

Linux, when Windoze just will not measure up.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 10:15:02 AM »

One can always go with a checklist to make sure they get everything ready for the road.  You can also use an acronym like, "Use your HEAD!"  (Hoses, Electrical, Antenna, Doors) or some such thing.

happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 11:27:58 AM »

Shoreline? As in running it over and pulling on it because you took off and forgot you were plugged in? ................ awe......... UNBELIEVABLE!!!.................. hmm,

Shocked Roll Eyes Huh me too....  Cry

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 11:41:25 AM »

There is no experience quite like looking in the mirror and seeing your toad pull out to pass.  That happened to me because I had forgotten one of the pins in the tow bar.

It happened on a cold rainy miserable morning when some other things had gone wrong as well.  It's days like that that you have to be the most attentive to what you are doing.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 11:50:18 AM »

I've seen allot of confession here.I to have had some awe sh-t's. Didn't read where any of you did it full knowing it was wrong and dangerous with complete disregards to others safety.  These mistakes help others remember not to make them. Fingers crossed....    Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 12:21:38 PM »

Quote from: robertglines1
I to have had some awe sh-t's.

They was a bunch of them in DC ! Oh shoot wrong type of  bus'n and Awe -S****!
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: