Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 03:12:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to the forum, caught the bug, want the bus!  (Read 9101 times)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2011, 07:55:50 PM »

That's for sure Clifford Wink {snip} Lol fortunately for me, I can fix any thing... [snip]

Van: We could REALLY use you in the Whitehouse right about now!
 Grin

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2011, 09:21:30 PM »

Don't let these guys beat you up to bad on the S&S jobs there are some good ones out there

good luck

I see, you say this AFTER I buy a Bus. lol
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2011, 08:39:05 PM »

Les -

PD4104-2587 was delivered new as fleet number N-5707 in June of 1957 to Northland Greyhound Lines, based out of Minneapolis, MN.  So this is a "rust belt" car - look it over carefully for corrosion.

Back then, Greyhound had a preventative maintenance program that was the envy of the transportation industry, so for the first 10-11 years of it's life, it was well taken care of. 

Most likely, it left the fleet in the fall of 1967, after the summer season.  Where it went from Hound is anyone's guess.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
LesBerg

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2011, 10:40:35 AM »

Thanks RJ, good to know.

luvr,

there won't be a lot of traveling initially. My wife is interviewing for a job in Minneapolis, so the first run would be to Boise to get a few things from storage that would cost more to replace than making a 500 mile detour. The second leg would be Boise to Minneapolis, and that would be it for a while.

I know it won't be cheap, but we won't have any other bills to worry about. The $1000 a month is a WAG, though I really don't see that an RV would be cheaper than a good coach. For what we're finding locally, it would take a minimum of $20,000 to get into a diesel pusher in poor condition and that same money would get you into a nice 4104 or 4106.

Either way, for the market here the two buses are the best buy for the money to get into a diesel powered coach.

That said, we've spoken to the Vegas bus owner again, and now we're not so hot on that coach. A picture of the back of the coach tells a different story than the front pic. There are no beds at all in the coach - it appears to be a poor attempt at a party bus. The kitchen and front furniture look like they were removed from an older RV and installed in the coach. The area in the back is a wrap-around booth about the size of a queen bed which shows considerable damage, including what appears to be the interior wall coming lose above the rear-most driver's side window. The kitchen area is decent, but given the remodeling that we'd need to do to make it usable, we'd need to move the kitchen forward about four feet.

After comparing the two coaches in my head, I started a spreadsheet to make the comparisons and start estimating costs.
Chassis-wise, the two coaches are fairly comparable, but the while the Spokane coach lacks a stove and a propane system, the Las Vegas bus only has a kitchen, an at the moment the fridge does not work. Adding a diesel genset to the Vegas bus to put it on par with the Spokane coach would run over $7000. Even though the Spokane coach's genset has over 7000 hours, I suspect that repairs would be less expensive than complete replacement. Even if they aren't, we shouldn't need to replace the genset immediately.

Basically, the spreadsheet says that if we consider the cost of flying down to look at the vegas bus and getting up here as part of the purchase price (and we should), the two buses are going to cost about the same. Considering the two interiors and the cost to make the necessary changes, the Spokane bus comes out on top. That said, there is a decent $6500 4104 over in the Carolinas...  Tongue
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2011, 10:54:39 AM »

You just want to make sure what you are getting into with a old bus with the paint job an other things mechanical I spent over 40 grand on my Eagle in one year and that was after the conversion .
Fwiw why don't you check around Ontario Or there is always 4104's and 4106's for sale in that area around Fruitland, Payett,Nampa,Caldwell and the Wesier area some one in Eagle just scraped a converted GM

good luck 

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:10:17 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
LesBerg

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2011, 08:55:50 PM »

luvrbus, are they normally found listed on the internet? craigslist, etc?

Thanks,
Les
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2011, 01:23:01 PM »

they arent normally on CL.... that i can tell anyway, i just drive by some of them as i dont live too far away

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2011, 02:01:36 PM »

Have you tried searching here?..
http://rv.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=rvs&fil=bus+conversion&itm=&state=&ps=&pe=&ys=&ye=&so=d&submit=+GO+

You can narrow your searches by states, price, models, etc.. I usually don't pay much attention to the ebay prices since most never meet an unrealistic reserved bid, but if you saw something there you really liked then maybe you could contact seller and discuss a realistic price.

Jimmy

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
harley86
1977 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2011, 03:33:09 PM »

If I could give a little bit of advice take your time I have been looking for over 5 years watching E-bay and bus forums and finally found the perfect bus for my needs.
Kerry
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2011, 06:11:03 AM »

Maybe try this one also Les, for the brand you want. good luck.
http://rv.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=rvs&fil=bus+conversion&itm=eagle&state=&ps=&pe=&ys=&ye=&so=d&submit=+GO+

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2011, 07:27:29 AM »

Thanks for the link... I see that ELVIS hasn't gone to his happy home yet... Grin

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
blank

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2011, 06:41:05 PM »

I found tons of Buses listed on Craigslist. In Google, go to advanced search.

In the top category header,  type the Bus your looking for, 4104 GMC, 4104 Bus, 4104 Conversion, etc..

In the bottom header, Search within a site or domain: 

Here you would type     craigslist.org

This will bring you any craigslist ad within that search heading from the entire US and Canada.  Change your selection if your not seeing what you want, and clear your history/cookies dailey etc., so as to clear off ones youve read already.  I would agree with others in saying most everything on eBay is unrealistically priced. But you need to watch it because sometimes things pop up that are super deals with BIN options.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: