Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 04:00:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you people doing for bicycle transport?  (Read 2079 times)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2011, 11:34:05 AM »

I was looking at the picture on the post about fat people and buses …

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-bus-obesity-weight-load-20110321,0,5734982.story

…and noticed the photo of the bus rack on the front of the bus. I have not seen any bus conversions with any kind of bike transport on them. Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:58:15 AM »

I have fold up bikes and put them in a bay(they have bags). Have seem bike racks on front of city busses.    Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 12:04:06 PM »

I considered using bicycle racks on my bus, but won't do so for several reasons:
1.   I have six bikes (down from ten before!  OK, I know!)  -  no available rack can hold this quantity of bikes.
2.   None of my bikes are easily replaceable.   I cannot risk damage or theft to any of them, which is highly likely if they are outside the bus.
3.   Bikes on vehicle racks, whether bumper/hitch mount or roof racks, get really dirty, even in dry weather.   Rain or snow absolutely trashes any bikes outside a vehicle.
4.   Bumper/hitch mounts are too easily accessible to potential thieves, and any bikes so mounted will be crunched in even a minor collision.
5.   I will make space inside, probably behind the driver's seat, for my bikes.   Ideally they would be hung vertically, because this occupies the least space, but this needs at least 6'6" ceiling height to do so.   Otherwise they can be on their wheels, or secured with fork holders such as http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1031488_-1_1535500_20000_400019

I anticipate using my bikes instead of a toad.   With the addition of a folding utility trailer that most of my bikes can tow, I will have the ability to buy groceries and supplies from short distances away, up to 20 miles or so.   (I don't think I'll be taking propane cylinders to be refilled!)

John
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:01:39 PM by Iceni John » Logged

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
brando4905

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 12:16:35 PM »

We got a couple of these last year, http://www.greenzonebikes.com/folding-bicycles.html , decent quality for the price and fit in the bays.

1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 02:53:58 PM »

I just use a bike rack from a local auto supply store if I take no toad. If I take the truck they go in back, the car they go on the rack in the rear...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
txjeff

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »

I bought a 4 bike rack from WM, it fits in the receiver hitch on back. They do get alittle dirty but it beats rolling them into the bedroom and scratching the walls inside.

jeff

73 MC-7combo
Brenham, Texas
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 05:28:10 PM »

My bike will either go inside the coach...or be locked in one of the bays.. I've already had one bike stolen while at Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach. Luckily my homeowners insurance covered the loss except for my $250 deductible.

Jimmy

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 05:31:27 PM »

Folding bicycle in the spare tire comp. with the lawn chairs.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 06:00:45 PM »

Ok you guys with the fold-up bikes what are we talking about here my wife bought us 2 Dahon bikes those are about a nothing bike she rides her's mine is out in the shop somewhere it hasn't been out of the bag in 5 years it's worthless IMHO now a fold-up Harley I could live with that LOL

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 06:00:52 PM »

I just steal one of Jimmy's.  Cheesy It sure beats carrying one along. I leave it at some redneck looking campsite when I'm done with it and Jimmy and some ranger looking dude straighten everything out.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 06:25:11 PM »

I just steal one of Jimmy's.  Cheesy It sure beats carrying one along. I leave it at some redneck looking campsite when I'm done with it and Jimmy and some ranger looking dude straighten everything out.

Hahaha Scott.. I now keep my bike in the house in one of the spare bedrooms while it is home.. I usually take it with me on all my vacation trips...but keep it locked on the bike rack during the day when travelling and locked in the hotel room or RV at night. I was lucky on the first one that my homeowners covered it. For one, it wasn't at home when it was stolen, infact I wasn't even in my home state. Also, it was not locked up which is my fault.  I rode it over the the bath house at Ocean Lakes to take a shower and when I came out of the bath house it was GONE.. They sent Campground Security out to make a Report but when they found out the value, they had to call in Horry County Police.. The value of that bike turned a simple theft into a felony.

Jimmy

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 06:36:10 PM »

I made my own rack out of square tubing.  I mounted 2 square tubes under my front bumper, each half of the rack slides into the tubes with a pin.  The bikes hang upside down by the wheels and I bungy cord tie them to the rack and my mirror posts.  I have cheap bikes.  I'd be upset if stolen but not a great financial loss.  They do get wet and have a bit of rust, but I oil them up from time to time.  The worse they look the less likely to be stolen.

Yes if I hit something the bikes will be recycle material.

but it works for me. 

David
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 09:07:09 PM »

Thanksto all for your contributions!

David: How about some pictures?

Thanks in advance!

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 07:23:21 PM »

Thanksto all for your contributions!

David: How about some pictures?

Thanks in advance!
I'll try to take some tomorrow.

David
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 06:08:56 PM »

Couldn't get the pictures taken today.  I'll try as soon as I can.

David
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: