Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 09:57:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus Building on a Budget  (Read 4117 times)
Charley Davidson

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 09:48:30 PM »

I traded a Harley in a basket for my bus, paid $7000.00 for the HD got over $35,000.00 out of it in insurance claims from other people hitting it in Florida. My bus had a fresh 8V92 DDEC & Alison 740a Atec trany swap in it, new rear gears, was a shell with a single door included. I used all the wiring & house stuff out of my old bus used a lot of Harley parts to make furnishings in it, added the WVO setup and drove it 35,000+ miles on $1,000.00 worth of diesel.

My bus has paid me to own it
blank

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 12:33:45 AM »

Looks like im in good company then.
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 11:53:11 AM »

BUS

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
pipopak

I am the 99%

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 03:47:23 PM »

There is a big difference between "best" and "most expensive", the latter usually just being repackaged crap. "Best" is not necessarily "new". "Best" is what fits your needs, wallet and makes YOU happy, regardless of where you bought or found it. If you like bragging about your stuff, probably you just shop for "most expensive". In this case, you are at the wrong site.

Linux, when Windoze just will not measure up.
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 05:54:22 PM »

Anyone who has met me (or us) knows that I am not a materialistic person. Most of the things we have are based on function over form, including our vehicles and our home, and generally our lifestyle.

There's not a lot of glitz or glitter with Papabus, but it is very functional, comfortable and dependable.

Many of the items I used in the construction were bargains/used/salvaged. It's rewarding making something work in an application that it wasn't really intended for. We also did some things backwards ( like making the hole fit the windows I already had acquired ). Doing it that way, for less than the price of one custom made/sized window we had 7 new pre-made windows in place.

We spend money as needed on safety related items, and therefore other things need to be placed on the 'back burner' until time and money is available. Luckily, Donna is very patient and complains rarely.

And most of all, we have a great time when we are out with the bus. We have met a load of WONDERFUL people since converting Papabus, and many have become close friends.

We wouldn't do it any differently next time!

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 06:12:57 PM »

It also doesn't hurt to buy stuff you don't actually need and put it in one of the sheds... You or one of your friends might need something like a window, or stove, etc... just don't do like i do, and have too much...good thing i don't live in town...

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 06:51:01 PM »

It takes a lot of talents in various mediums to own much less build one of these machines. My hats off too guys like Bob and others that have done so if not several. I'm not patting myself on the back but am a mechanical whiz or am told so and I see the challenges and time invested in creating such. I do enjoy making mine better. It's how I relax. At times the price is not of concern, at other times it is. But it is fun to work with wood, insulation, stain, oil, diesel, propane, antifreeze, rubber and carpet all in one day!!!  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 05:07:53 AM by Chopper Scott » Logged

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »

If anyone took this post to skip road worthy safety. Safety comes first.  Seen allot of home built units of all types and ages that are just amazing. Home grown ideas and personal genius for their construction.I did not see one that compromised safety.!  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
divinerightstrip

1990 Le Mirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 04:56:35 PM »

YESS!!

Thank you so much for this post! I have been blogging on this topic recently, and its so good to be validated on things. Hooray!

I just was given this book: http://www.amazon.com/Select-Convert-Your-Motorhome-Shoestring/dp/0972470417 and have read it through a few times now. Don't let money get in the way of an amazing conversion project! There are ways to be cost effective without cutting corners!!

Awesome post, thanks!

The Bus Girl
mc8 tin tent

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 08:08:53 PM »

Bob
  It takes one to know one!!!!!!!!!!!!
   We are cheep Shocked
  Dwayne

P.S.
  I checked with supply house,ductless splits through ici will  not be a problem.  Let me know when your ready.
harley86
1977 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 08:55:08 AM »

This is a great thread it follows my ideas for this whole bus addiction thing.
I just bought a 1977 Eagle 05 that is 80% finished. I will be able to stay within my budget and a lot of the difficult work has already been finished. I am going to finish out my bus very low tech but very nice. That is the one thing I love about my Eagle 1970's technology no computers or electronics. I can figure most of this stuff out. I am going to completly rewire the coach as there is a lot of the old wiring from the coach a/c  system that is no longer in use. I want to keep my unplaned maintaince to a  minunum as we are going to put a lot of miles on this old girl during the racing season.
Speaking of low tech I was thinking about using the water from the cooling system on the generator to heat the coach will this work I plan on running the generator all the time.

Take Care Kerry
gulfyankee

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 02:51:02 PM »

I just bought my 4104 for $2500, I know I will spend some getting it back into good condition for the road (Tires, filters, wiring repairs, etc.) since its been sitting for a couple of years. I'm going to rip out the interior and redo it, and plan on spending about $7500 for that. Some things you can scrimp on, but sometimes it is better to just spend the money to get a better quality product. It's basically up to you, and what you are willing to deal with. Do I need a top of the line granite countertop? Nope. I can get prefabbed Formica counters from Lowes, and put that savings (probably about $7-800) towards equipment that will make life easier and better. Perhaps a couple of solar panels for the roof, so I don't have to run the gennie so often. Or a nice upgrade to a jucuzzi tub to help me relax at the end of the day..... Look around and find what you want for the price you are willing to pay. I just found laminate hardwood flooring for my entire bus for about $150. Deals are out there, you just gotta look.

Scott
Based out of Jasper, TX, but am hardly ever there

1958 GMC PD4104-2345
DD 6-71
Spicer 4 speed
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: