Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 28, 2014, 06:07:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus A/C Options  (Read 4094 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 08:15:31 PM »

Geoff,

If you get by running two and that is the case while you are running down the road, well then, your bus is sealed up tighter than a jelly jar lid. Roll Eyes  Noth'n tighter than that cept (insert ethnic slur here). Grin  Don't complain to me cause it's your unPC mind that just thought that up. Angry

Good for you.

About those windows..... I have contemplated affixing a sheet of SS to the "outside' of the windshield.  Stand it proud 1/8 or 3/16 inch with the sides clear.  What it doesn't reflect convection will carry away.  There is a lot of windshield that is useless to see out of for driving or just the view.  The windshields in my Winnie are as narrow in the vert as an old Silver Sides.  I LIKE THAT.....personally.  Little sun when parked and a cool and quiet feeling while OTR.  I know I am flying in the face of modernity but it works.  I can see the view from any of my narrow old windows if I sit next to the window and if I really want that panoramic I can walk 10 feet and step outside and get the ambient temp and auditory along with the visual nirvana.  I would give a lot of thought to running a strip across the top as well as the bottom.  Don't forget to mark the window with a crayon as to what sections you can live without.....it is different from side to side.  As a min install sun blocker in those areas.  Who needs to see directly down onto the road 10 feet in front of the bus?  I can't see stuff that close from the pilots seat of my Lex.  Just my way and I am cool about it and I mean that pun.

John in the shade

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 08:26:47 PM »

Grin $$$$$$$$$ Grin

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
blank

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 09:28:06 AM »

Geoff,

If you get by running two and that is the case while you are running down the road, well then, your bus is sealed up tighter than a jelly jar lid. Roll Eyes  Noth'n tighter than that cept (insert ethnic slur here). Grin  Don't complain to me cause it's your unPC mind that just thought that up. Angry

Good for you.

About those windows...  Little sun when parked and a cool and quiet feeling while OTR.  Just my way and I am cool about it and I mean that pun.

John in the shade

What about a visor? A Visor would offer shade, keep the sun out of the interior a bit more dropping the heat load. If it had some dark windows in it you could still see up at stop lights and low overheads, depending on how far it stuck out. More visor = more wind drag = lower fuel economy. 

You see black rock guards on many RV's, in the sun, dark colors transfer a lot of heat into the wall. White or polished metal reflects a lot of heat

Mirror tint on the side glass would also drop the heat load.

Ive never de-skinned an MCI, but on every GM we scrapped, which included a 4104, a 4106, and several transits, and also several AM Generals, I dont recall any insulation around the front of any of those buses. None in the front facing, sides, or upper cap, and none around the stair well.

On this MC5, the underside of the stairwell can easily be seen bare as a newborn babies bottom through the spare wheel well. Bare metal sheet is worse than glass as an insulator.

On several sites I have seen where they removed the front facing skin on an MCI, I do not recall seeing a smidge of insulation. Maybe I missed it?
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 10:02:48 AM »

The factory AC cools the whole bus, even the driver's area really good in my RTS.... even here in the desert. One time I was having electrical problems in my bus and my AC wouldnt kick in because I wasnt getting enough juice to it thru the batteries....... what worked for us driving in the desert was little fans blowing on us with water soaked towels wrapped around our necks!

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: