Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 05:04:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Somewhat confused by some posts on the cost of equipement  (Read 3655 times)
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2011, 08:06:48 AM »

I've been reading instead of posting for some time now, and I'm a little confused to say the least!  Bussing has always been an expensive hobby, whether you buy a new bus or regenerate an older bus, I think we all agree on that!  How you select the systems in your bus has always been a personal choice.  To think that I will be the very last owner of a bus is just not being truthful!  I was raised and trained to be a craftsman and I'm very proud of the work I put into my bus!  To (excuse this next word) slop together a bus and put yourself and others in harms way on the roads is a criminal act!  I'm sure there are many that will appreciate that comment whether they like it or not! 

In the 6 years that I have been associated with this board, I've seen things change in the attitudes and opinions!  I might say in the wrong direction too!   (my opinion).  I've noticed that a majority of the older members have ceased to even post any longer and that is a shame there is so much to be learned from them!  Slopping a bus together isn't doing it "your own way",  its down right dangerous and dishonest to the next person that will end up with your conversion!  Integrity, honesty is really the only two things a person actually controls in this life! 

Consider this an opinion piece with no one individual the target!  If you are offended.........well my suggestion is simple...........I'll bend over and offer you a simple solution        you can begin kissing when you are ready!

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 08:32:52 AM »

Pat,that is the way I built my Eagle looking to the future when my time was up and I must say it was a easy sell I didn't even advertise it for sale and when the guy found out I was selling he was here in 2 days with the cash in hand

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 08:34:25 AM »

Interesting perspective.  I would venture to say though that there is a difference between work done that may effect safety and work done that only effects cosmetics.  I personally lean more to function than to form.  Therefore most of the money I've spent deals with making the coach roadworthy.  On the other hand, I do not enjoy finishing work much.  Further, I have a bit of a personality trait where I tend to save all sorts of junk.  I get some pleasure out of using the old junk I have around.  Therefore, sometimes I will solve a problem using my old stuff instead of doing it a different way.  That is why I call some of my projects "shameless solutions."   Hence, I would say that I agree that we should not be compromising on safety but do not see any problem in being idiosyncratic in other places.

PS-Be careful when bending over.  You may be giving the wrong message.  

You don't have to believe everything you think.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:36:49 AM »

If this post was aimed at me because of the recent post building a bus on a budget. sorry you feel that way. I simply pointed out you don't have to be a millionaire to do a bus. I did not compromise safety in my suggestions. I will defer on posting personal bad experience with any group. I find busconversion bus nuts are more in my comfort zone to identify with.   Bob
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:13:14 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 10:40:58 AM »

I could not agree more.  From a safety standpoint a lot of bus conversion operators don't have a clue.  I believe the drivers should have CDL's (even though that document is kind of a farce also), and if over 26,000 GVWR the buses should be able to pass a CVSA inspection annually.  Let the howling start now.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:57:50 AM »

How did the Prevost Prouds get into this topic nice group of folks there  lol

good luck

muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:05:47 AM »

Clifford, I can't imagine you doing anything but that! You are a quality guy!  Lin, I spent hours rebuilding wheels, bearings, seals.......I've eaten so much rust in this project....more than I care to admit!  As for the bending over...I don't think I sent the wrong message.....(I knew exactly what I meant) others might get confused!....LOL  

Last but not least.....Bob...I asked to join them.........( :'(they laughed at me Cry) so I guess this and the other board are stuck with me!  If if helps, just refer to the comment Lin and I talked about!

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 11:15:29 AM »

.  Bob a budget Prevost owner and proud of it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:15:22 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 11:24:08 AM »

I think you got the Prevost Prouds and the Prevost Owners Group( POG) confused Bob I belonged to Prouds and we drank our beer from the bottle or the can and loved old buses of any make or model the rally fees are a little steep sometimes but a good group of people, just laid back southern folks  

good luck
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:28:24 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 12:25:22 PM »

Bob,

I really do not think Pat was saying you can't build/own a conversion on a budget-- merely that those taking shortcuts at the cost of safety are a danger to themselves and others, and that these practices should not be encouraged.  There are people on this board that are highly skilled, and you would know that anything they worked on would be done right.  I would guess that part of the reason Clifford's bus sold easily was as much due to his reputation as a mechanic as it was to the bus itself (even so, the cost/labor to sale price ratio might not have been all that favorable).  From your presence on this board, I would have confidence in anything you worked on also.  There are others, like myself, that have far less experience and skill.  The important thing for us is to realize what our limits are and get competent help when called for.  I am quite happy with doing welding to make things hold together.  However, if the welding project was on something that could put anyone in danger, I get someone I trust with that responsibility to do it.  I do not see anything wrong with this approach.

Pat,

If I am misunderstanding your meaning, please correct me.  Thanks

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 12:49:41 PM »

Well said Lin

Big difference with between slopping stuff together and being conservative with money.

Lonnie

1976 4905
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 01:01:44 PM »

WOW Shocked  I'm outta hear Tongue  And coming from me that is quite a mouthful.

Prevo Prouds have treated me fine....for what it's worth.  OPPPPS....said I was outta here.

(not even signed)

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 01:22:05 PM »

This is a apology to anyone I may have offended. Personal experience was bad and I judged a group by that incident. I will continue to be just me.  Bob

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 02:07:41 PM »

This is a apology to anyone I may have offended. Personal experience was bad and I judged a group by that incident. I will continue to be just me.  Bob

Bob,

No apology needed over here. I didn't see an issue with your posts. You have simply mentioned how you can do quality, on a budget. However, from what I have seen and heard, your conversions have been very quality. I believe Pat was referring to some of the other folks that kludge stuff together, in a unsafe manner. That is different.

Pat,

I stand in awe of your conversion. It is very impressive. I agree with you, there are a lot of unsafe things out there. We have attempted to do quality work, and so far everything has done well. But, I can say we didn't build our own headlights, and that kind of thing, like you did. Simply amazing.

Peace.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 02:29:28 PM »

But if you hadn't shared your feelings then Clifford, a name trusted by all, wouldn't have had the opportunity to cast some doubt on your conviction.  It's all good. Amigo.  All good.

Thanks for sharing,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 02:59:17 PM »

I wanna start out right, so here goes  Kiss

Sorry Pat, but as for me Im taking my time building because I do want to do it right and I dont like redos. I have a LOT to learn, and each step of the way I have been studying and trying to learn as much as I could BEFORE proceeding. I dont want a garbage or an unsafe conversion.

As for the people that put thought and imagination into their coach instead of just dollars for ready off the shelf items....... THOSE are the guys that I really, really try to absorb everything they say. Imagination and hard work kick, blowing the kid's inheritance isnt as cool in my book. 

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 03:36:59 PM »

I've been reading instead of posting for some time now, and I'm a little confused to say the least!  Bussing has always been an expensive hobby, whether you buy a new bus or regenerate an older bus, I think we all agree on that!  How you select the systems in your bus has always been a personal choice.  To think that I will be the very last owner of a bus is just not being truthful!  I was raised and trained to be a craftsman and I'm very proud of the work I put into my bus!  To (excuse this next word) slop together a bus and put yourself and others in harms way on the roads is a criminal act!  I'm sure there are many that will appreciate that comment whether they like it or not! 

In the 6 years that I have been associated with this board, I've seen things change in the attitudes and opinions!  I might say in the wrong direction too!   (my opinion).  I've noticed that a majority of the older members have ceased to even post any longer and that is a shame there is so much to be learned from them!  Slopping a bus together isn't doing it "your own way",  its down right dangerous and dishonest to the next person that will end up with your conversion!  Integrity, honesty is really the only two things a person actually controls in this life! 

Consider this an opinion piece with no one individual the target!  If you are offended.........well my suggestion is simple...........I'll bend over and offer you a simple solution        you can begin kissing when you are ready!

Pat,

Since I only know you from your postings on the BBS and viewing your blog, I have to say I find your comments and closing to be "out of character" for you.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
MEverard

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 04:22:33 PM »

I have found that most of the information I have seen always stresses safety first. If a person is building on a budget I believe most are talking about interior finishes. I have never heard anyone suggest the cutting of corners. The use of a used generator instead of a new one does not make the bus unsafe.

I am the proud owner of a 1960 GMC PD 4104, and I will not have all of the bells and whistles that the new coaches have. However, my bus will be safe and the interior is something I will be proud of.

Mike

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 07:32:41 PM »

I'm kind of wondering what triggered this post myself Pat. Your blog and what you have done is incredible to say the least and I can say everyone that has ventured through your blog is amazed. I sure hope you didn't point to anyone in general. I know one thing however and we all can't wait to see your final product and are loving  watching it's growth through your blog. I'm making faux counter tops and just put in  manufactured laminate flooring in my bus. I think the real stuff is a waste. Just my 2 cents.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 07:39:02 PM »

I guess I shouldn't add more but I have to wonder also how many of us can build a bus like you have Pat with no limit on when it is done or what the final cost will be. Something to consider.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 08:34:04 PM »

I don't get to read every post, can you link to the ones you are referring to?

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
gus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 12:40:14 PM »

I don't understand the point of the first post?

Is it unless we all build buses to his satisfaction we shouldn't do it at all?

Is it if we don't drive a Prevost we should stay off the road?

Is it if we are not master craftsmen we shouldn't even try?

If a bus is safe the rest is up to the individual and not subject to someone Else's  approval. My theory is; simpler is better.

The post is a masterpiece of subterfuge.

No matter what the point is, the last comment was entirely unnecessary.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 12:42:13 PM by gus » Logged

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 02:02:17 PM »

Some folks seem to be taking this personally, I think the OP was just pointing out that builds should be safe and secure.....nothing wrong with that, they should be.  He also feels these values are not being expressed much here....can't say I agree.  The forum oscillates   from hyper safety to super "whatever",  kind of reflects the community.  You can build safely and securely without spending tons of money, some $$$ is always going to be involved unless you have access to a free scrap yard and tons of time.

Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 02:40:09 PM »

As others have said most posts on here that deal with coach building have mostly to do with interiors. I would like to know what prompted the OP. Surely there must be some examples he could share.
LarryN 4106

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 04:04:41 PM »

Some folks seem to be taking this personally, I think the OP was just pointing out that builds should be safe and secure.....nothing wrong with that, they should be.  He also feels these values are not being expressed much here....can't say I agree.  .........

Well, if I recall the verbage for those that don't agree, start kissing....

Frankly, I cannot imagine anyone NOT taking the original post "personally". Plus, that post is hardly compatible with the sentiments expressed in his avatar sig.

blank

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 06:35:15 PM »

Why does anyone even bother to comment on this crap? Y'all act like your guilty of something.

You feel guilty cuz you bought a used Gen?

You feel guilty cuz you put in laminate flooring?

You feel guilty cus you dont own a Prevost?

You feel guilty cus your trying to save fuel, buy lower cost tires, work within a budget?

How sad is that? Y'all worked hard, you spent hard earned money, and you came here for fellowship and answers so you could do the best job your able. I worked in the RV industery building pos campers and repairing RV's. Most of it is cheap and some of it is downright crude and dangerous. But it still gets that lil RV tag saying its met all the standards. I havent seen anything here that comes close, and certainly nothing dangerous. I would say if someone dont like how im doin, they can kiss mine.

wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 07:10:08 PM »

Sure seems to be a whole lot of butt kissin going on around here lately. Grin

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 07:25:04 PM »

26 responses 26 different takes on the subject how about a poll lol

good luck