Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 02:22:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Somewhat confused by some posts on the cost of equipement  (Read 3756 times)
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 02:59:17 PM »

I wanna start out right, so here goes  Kiss

Sorry Pat, but as for me Im taking my time building because I do want to do it right and I dont like redos. I have a LOT to learn, and each step of the way I have been studying and trying to learn as much as I could BEFORE proceeding. I dont want a garbage or an unsafe conversion.

As for the people that put thought and imagination into their coach instead of just dollars for ready off the shelf items....... THOSE are the guys that I really, really try to absorb everything they say. Imagination and hard work kick, blowing the kid's inheritance isnt as cool in my book. 

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 03:36:59 PM »

I've been reading instead of posting for some time now, and I'm a little confused to say the least!  Bussing has always been an expensive hobby, whether you buy a new bus or regenerate an older bus, I think we all agree on that!  How you select the systems in your bus has always been a personal choice.  To think that I will be the very last owner of a bus is just not being truthful!  I was raised and trained to be a craftsman and I'm very proud of the work I put into my bus!  To (excuse this next word) slop together a bus and put yourself and others in harms way on the roads is a criminal act!  I'm sure there are many that will appreciate that comment whether they like it or not! 

In the 6 years that I have been associated with this board, I've seen things change in the attitudes and opinions!  I might say in the wrong direction too!   (my opinion).  I've noticed that a majority of the older members have ceased to even post any longer and that is a shame there is so much to be learned from them!  Slopping a bus together isn't doing it "your own way",  its down right dangerous and dishonest to the next person that will end up with your conversion!  Integrity, honesty is really the only two things a person actually controls in this life! 

Consider this an opinion piece with no one individual the target!  If you are offended.........well my suggestion is simple...........I'll bend over and offer you a simple solution        you can begin kissing when you are ready!

Pat,

Since I only know you from your postings on the BBS and viewing your blog, I have to say I find your comments and closing to be "out of character" for you.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
MEverard

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 04:22:33 PM »

I have found that most of the information I have seen always stresses safety first. If a person is building on a budget I believe most are talking about interior finishes. I have never heard anyone suggest the cutting of corners. The use of a used generator instead of a new one does not make the bus unsafe.

I am the proud owner of a 1960 GMC PD 4104, and I will not have all of the bells and whistles that the new coaches have. However, my bus will be safe and the interior is something I will be proud of.

Mike

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 07:32:41 PM »

I'm kind of wondering what triggered this post myself Pat. Your blog and what you have done is incredible to say the least and I can say everyone that has ventured through your blog is amazed. I sure hope you didn't point to anyone in general. I know one thing however and we all can't wait to see your final product and are loving  watching it's growth through your blog. I'm making faux counter tops and just put in  manufactured laminate flooring in my bus. I think the real stuff is a waste. Just my 2 cents.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 07:39:02 PM »

I guess I shouldn't add more but I have to wonder also how many of us can build a bus like you have Pat with no limit on when it is done or what the final cost will be. Something to consider.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 08:34:04 PM »

I don't get to read every post, can you link to the ones you are referring to?

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
gus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 12:40:14 PM »

I don't understand the point of the first post?

Is it unless we all build buses to his satisfaction we shouldn't do it at all?

Is it if we don't drive a Prevost we should stay off the road?

Is it if we are not master craftsmen we shouldn't even try?

If a bus is safe the rest is up to the individual and not subject to someone Else's  approval. My theory is; simpler is better.

The post is a masterpiece of subterfuge.

No matter what the point is, the last comment was entirely unnecessary.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 12:42:13 PM by gus » Logged

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 02:02:17 PM »

Some folks seem to be taking this personally, I think the OP was just pointing out that builds should be safe and secure.....nothing wrong with that, they should be.  He also feels these values are not being expressed much here....can't say I agree.  The forum oscillates   from hyper safety to super "whatever",  kind of reflects the community.  You can build safely and securely without spending tons of money, some $$$ is always going to be involved unless you have access to a free scrap yard and tons of time.

Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 02:40:09 PM »

As others have said most posts on here that deal with coach building have mostly to do with interiors. I would like to know what prompted the OP. Surely there must be some examples he could share.
LarryN 4106

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 04:04:41 PM »

Some folks seem to be taking this personally, I think the OP was just pointing out that builds should be safe and secure.....nothing wrong with that, they should be.  He also feels these values are not being expressed much here....can't say I agree.  .........

Well, if I recall the verbage for those that don't agree, start kissing....

Frankly, I cannot imagine anyone NOT taking the original post "personally". Plus, that post is hardly compatible with the sentiments expressed in his avatar sig.

blank

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 06:35:15 PM »

Why does anyone even bother to comment on this crap? Y'all act like your guilty of something.

You feel guilty cuz you bought a used Gen?

You feel guilty cuz you put in laminate flooring?

You feel guilty cus you dont own a Prevost?

You feel guilty cus your trying to save fuel, buy lower cost tires, work within a budget?

How sad is that? Y'all worked hard, you spent hard earned money, and you came here for fellowship and answers so you could do the best job your able. I worked in the RV industery building pos campers and repairing RV's. Most of it is cheap and some of it is downright crude and dangerous. But it still gets that lil RV tag saying its met all the standards. I havent seen anything here that comes close, and certainly nothing dangerous. I would say if someone dont like how im doin, they can kiss mine.

wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 07:10:08 PM »

Sure seems to be a whole lot of butt kissin going on around here lately. Grin

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 07:25:04 PM »

26 responses 26 different takes on the subject how about a poll lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first