Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 06:59:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Annual trip to Elkhart  (Read 1247 times)
wayne
1990 Setra 215 HDH

www.mybusgarage.com

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2011, 08:43:01 AM »

I just returned from my annual Elkhart trip where I was trying to pickup some finishing touches. I purchased a seat on Ebay a few weeks ago and it came from a salvage company near Elkhart. It was delivered quickly to my front door for $190.00. I talked with the owner about coming down and picking up 9 more since It was time for me to go to Elkhart anyway. He said bring cash and he would make me a great deal. I loaded up my trailer and headed that way, when I arrived the owner said He now has to get $225.00 for each seat. Can you believe this guy? After I drive almost 300 miles and take a day off work this guy gives me the old shanghai!what a *+?:@! I was afraid of going back empty so I kissed his a-- until I got them for the $190.00 but he would only sell me 7 at that price. What a guy! I know this board doesnt like negative comments so I won't put his company name on here but if you plan on buying from a company in Osceola, In, email me and I will let you know who it is.
The rest of Elkart was pretty much the same as the last 2 years. There wasnt anything new for surplus and the places I went to had picked over surplus from the last 3 years. A few of them were out of business. I did get a few items but Overall it's pretty sad what has happened down there. 

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:54:57 AM »

Seems to be getting worse instead of better these days.  Sadly, it is beginning to resemble the norm, rather than the occasional exception to the rule.  Just have to deal with it, never any fun.

BCO

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:42:30 AM »

Might I suggest Ickes Surplus. I am a relative novice at Elkhart trips but Ickes is closer to me in Montpelier IN. and I have been happy with them. But then again, I have nothing to compare to. I might be getting hosed!   Roll Eyes But, they have been easy to deal with. I'd love to do more "rootin" in Elkhart but time is usually a determining factor.

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:44:48 AM »

But But But...Guys.  The stock market is doing GREAT.  The banks are back to rolling in it.  EXXON Mobile is, once again, and like always, setting RECORD profits and paying no US tax for its income in the ole'  US of A.  What do you mean that things are looking bleak?  They are sure in keeping with recent history.

Better times are a'commin cause the cursed unions, the cause of all this turmoil, are getting their wings clipped and loosing the right to collective bargain.  Fewer CSs and less service to the general population and lower taxes are the solution to all that ails us.  More wealth concentrated at the TOP will result in "trickle down"(emphasis on the trick part) to the Nation's and all our benefit.

Now this post is most certainly "on topic" for the thread.....but the thread might be "off topic" for the board.  Maybe?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »

Wayne also know their prices are getting near retail. Guess supply is drying up. Did you stop at Bontagers? If so how were their prices and Inventory.    Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 04:02:36 PM »

The prices around here have gone up to retail AND HIGHER.  I think it is survival.  They are all looking at going out of business and that will make a fair and generous man rather ruthless.  Sorry, Ruthi.  Huh Tongue

This is sad....really.  Ask not for whom the bell tolls.  It tolls for thee.  Nothing new under the sun.... history is prologue.  The Russians thought they could march the path to prosperity by making sure "nobody got more" than anybody else and that ended up a slow march to everybody getting the same amt of nothing.  Today we hear a lot about "why should they be getting......?  Will we ever learn?   I wonder.

John the Pinko

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »

I guess I wouldn't be entirely surprised if surplus/salvage parts are going up in price.

Supply is likely down with fewer units being built.  Manufacturers are probably ordering parts when they have units to build instead of just making large stock orders and then surplusing the excess when they order too many.  I can imagine that with RV manufacturers going under that there is more demand for unique parts only available as surplus or salvage now.  Folks are also keeping RVs longer thus needing more parts.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
wayne
1990 Setra 215 HDH

www.mybusgarage.com

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 04:37:51 PM »

Bontragers seems to be the most organized but you still need to beware of the price. There were a lot of items I seen priced for retail, but bontragers does order in new inventory not just surplus. It seems like with the Internet I can find the majority of what I need for the best price without ever leaving my house. The bigger items used to be a deal from the surplus stores but not so much anymore. Even the trim and small electrical items, I have found better deals online. There are some deals on switches and little things like that but how much of that can you use, not enough to make the trip worth while. The furniture quality is substandard from what I have seen and not that cheap either.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 05:11:56 PM »

I think most of the RV surplus places bring in new inventory.  RV Surplus Salvage certainly does.  There are some things that simply don't show up as surplus/salvage or very rarely do.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 07:06:21 PM »

A while back it was predicted that the supply would get pretty good when the bankruptcy courts got thing settled for all the businesses that went belly up.  Guess that did not happen.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: