Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 04:22:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Visiting Florida  (Read 1954 times)
MEverard

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2011, 10:01:57 AM »

I will be in Florida the second week of April. My wife is going there for business and was gracious enough to let me tag along. We will be staying in St. Pete Beach. Since she will be busy during the day, I will have plenty of time to venture out and find things to do. Can anyone tell me about the area and what I might be able to do during the day.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 11:48:02 AM »

Bush Gardens    visit FloridaCliff   Ace     nice area allot of history and tourist traps.   

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
opus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:14:10 AM »

Watch your credit cards!  I am at this moment dealing with 2 cards involved in fraud.....and they never left my pocket.  One for $1100 in shoes and one for $16,500 in a transfer.  Ahhhh...the vacation that keeps on giving....

Thats what I get for leaving Montana.

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »

Florida is one of the three worst states for fraud. That said: also is one of the most historical,South of St. Petersburg is Fort Desota  Beautiful Grounds and views. We carry a card with low limit on our outings in case it was compromised they wouldn't get much. Everything available there from history to fishing in Gulf.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 10:31:06 AM »

Depends on your tastes but just south is the Ringling house and museum in Sarasota http://www.ringling.org/, in town is the biggest Dali' collection http://thedali.org/ outside Spain and it just moved into a new building, also in town is the Florida aquarium http://www.flaquarium.org/, north of town is Tarpon Springs a Greek sponge fishing town. Tampa/St. Pete is a great place to visit and if you just want to kick back go out to Indian Shores and lay on the beach or take Gulf Blvd north or south. I have not had any problems there in half a dozen visits.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 05:03:47 PM »

Mike,

Lee has given some great places to go and Bob's Fort Desoto is a "must not miss" to me.

If I wasn't working so hard to keep all these retired Busnuts SS checks good, I would try to catch up with you!   Grin  Wink

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
dougyes

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 08:07:10 PM »

Seriously check the gulf water before swimming. People have still been getting sick from the oil spill chemicals.
Depewtee

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:06:56 PM »

I have lived on the Gulf Coast, literally no more than a mile from the Gulf, for nearly 40 years.  In the Panhandle area of Florida there is NO oil in the water and NO tarballs on the beaches.  I do understand the Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama coasts may not have fare so well, but they are doing better.  The media is ruining one of our major industries with these stories.  There were reports of a large oil sheen a couple of days ago and it turned out to be an algae bloom.  Please visit Florida and enjoy some of he most beautiful beaches in the world.  Check out the beach cams at http://www.emeraldcoastfl.com/.

Brian S.

P.S. - I am stepping off my soapbox now.  Thanks for listening.

Brian Shonk
Fort Walton Beach, FL (Florida Panhandle)
1981 Prevost LeMirage Liberty Coach
1984 TMC MC-9
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 05:11:05 AM »

I have lived on the Gulf Coast, literally no more than a mile from the Gulf, for nearly 40 years.  In the Panhandle area of Florida there is NO oil in the water and NO tarballs on the beaches.  I do understand the Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama coasts may not have fare so well, but they are doing better.  The media is ruining one of our major industries with these stories.  There were reports of a large oil sheen a couple of days ago and it turned out to be an algae bloom.  Please visit Florida and enjoy some of he most beautiful beaches in the world.  Check out the beach cams at http://www.emeraldcoastfl.com/.

Brian S.

P.S. - I am stepping off my soapbox now.  Thanks for listening.

Brian you said it all.  THE MEDIA, they don't report any more they create stories.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 05:17:32 AM »

I listen to the news every day and haven't heard anything at all about people getting sick from the oil spill but recently have heard that it's mating season for sting rays and they are up close near the beaches. Said to just scurry your feet and they will go away. If you happen to step on one, they will sting you but it's usually not deadly. It's their way of defense as they are not aggressive.
As for credit cards? No different here then anywhere else.
Biggest problem we see down here is too many tourist from up north that don't know how to drive. I swear they move into the left lane at least 5 miles before, and going well under the speed limit on a 4 lane hwy BEFORE turning left into wal-mart!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 12:36:55 PM »

Just heard some news about some terrible weather that moved through that area (sun'n'fun) event hope y'all are safe.

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 12:50:52 PM »

This just passed thru my area which is about 3 miles from sun n fun! Been like this on and off all day.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=qwB_vvkdJYI

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 12:56:01 PM »

Could this have been one of them Micro Bursts? I only heard speculation.

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 01:16:35 PM »

Well the news says a tornado touched down in Kathleen. Uh, guess where I live? Yep, kathleen. I had just left wal-mart and couldnt see the road for the hard rain and strong winds so I pulled over and into the park and set my van up on the east side of the handball building. The winds were going from west to east and it was still shaking it pretty hard!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 01:22:32 PM »

I bet that got your attention fast Shocked It was stated that the emergency crew headed to the air field had to do that very same thing, for fear of being tossed of the pavement. Thing I found strange though, was that untied aircraft parked on the ramp were flipped over as opposed to being thrown about Huh

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »

I'm gonna check but I think there are some bus nut friends of mine working the sun n fun and hope they got thru the worst ok. Its still bad here!
Alan kline is one that I know off that may be there. I thought I saw his bus in wildwood when I was going to Ocala on Saturday. Sure hope everyone is safe!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 01:32:59 PM »

I didn't remember the name, but did remember a post or2 about a few that would be at the event with their coaches, and something about the parking arrangements also if I am not mistaken. Me too! do I hope every one  is fine. Report that the event tents were blown down and 7 or so injuries (minor) and folks taking refuge in the hangers as they were waiting for the opening fly by.

niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 09:37:44 PM »

Dougyes - Where did you hear this?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:45:50 PM by niles500 » Logged

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 10:23:19 PM »

Some videos from Sun n Fun:

http://www.flightschoollist.com/blog/2011/03/sun-n-fun-2011-damage-videos-from-major-storms-very-sad-day-for-airplanes-and-owners/

The storm did some significant damage.

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: