Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 02:42:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 471 Detroit  (Read 817 times)
Starliner58

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2006, 06:17:00 PM »

Anyone know the oil capacity for a 471 Detroit? It's in 1958 Flxible bus. Every time I change oil, 4gals by the dipstick, it seems to leak more oil until it drops down some.

Wayne
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 06:46:44 PM »

According to the Field Service Data manual, your 4-71 takes 14quarts, plus 2 quarts for oil filter.

It is also possible that you have an incorrect oil pan which would put your oil level too high.

IHTH.

Dallas
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 07:10:07 PM »

Where's it leaking from? My 6V92 did that. If you filled it to the "full" line, it would promptly blow it out...thru the rear main seal. Then once the oil level got down to about a quarter way above the "add" oil mark, it would run along fairly dry.
Replaced the rear main seal and all has been well....so far. That was a year ago now. Getting the engine out and back in was easier than installing the seal. That was a wrestling match. Getting the wear ring off ain't no picnic either.
See where your oil is leaking from and you can make a decision about what to do.
Like Dallas said, the oil pan may be different on a bus....Dallas can tell you, but there's a rule of thumb about where the oil level is relative to the oil pan flange..I don't know what it is.
Get that value and you will be able to verify the oil level. You may be overfilling it.
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: