Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 12:14:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eagle Question  (Read 3917 times)
Cary and Don

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2011, 06:02:01 PM »

We got our Eagle this week.  We are on our way home from Texas to California.  Staying in San Antonio for a few days.

Now we have Eagle questions.  The owners were really nice, but there were a few questions we thought we could get answers for here.

First, does the tag or boogie axle, raise and lower?  We didn't see any switches for it. 

Second,  When the key is turned past the on position, it sounds like a solenoid is activating something air powered.  Any idea what that could be?  It has a separate start button.

Third,  The rear seems a little lower than the front.  Is there an adjustment for that?  The rear has a little sway in it back and forth.   The suspension has been rebuilt recently,  have the receipts to prove it.

It's a great bus. The engine purrs like it should.  The brakes work great and it has two stage jakes.

Don  and Cary
1973 Eagle 05
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 06:18:01 PM »

Well welcome to the madness of Eagle Bus ownership, I have a 68 Model 5. Now unless someone changed it,the boggie does not raise, Can't help you on the switch Iam sure someone smarter than myself can figure that out for you. And as far as the rearend Lets hope whom ever did the rebuilt set up the  suspension following Eagle guide lines , There is a certain way that it needs to be done. You can also go to the Eagles web page @ Eaglesinternationl.com for more help.

How long are you going to be in San Antionio ? I will be in the area on Wednesday for work maybe we could visit if your going to be there for any amount of time. Good luck

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:45:05 PM »

The clicking is the shut down skinner valve,you need to get the problem with the sway check that is caused by the stabilizer bars either the bushings are gone or the lock adjustment threads are bad ? the nuts are not welded on are they ?.If side to side movement that is the hanger bushing or caps
If you go I 40 to CA I live 8 miles north of Needles and will be glad to help you cover things on a Eagle

good luck
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 06:50:29 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Flatspot

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 06:51:39 PM »

Yes,
I have to agree with Eagle Andy. Welcome to Eagle ownership.
The bogy axle stays down if it is a stock set up.
The ride height is adjustable but it needs to be done in a specific order so the weight stays correct on those bogy's that don't raise. The web site that was referenced gives specific instructions.
Wouldn't care to guess what is being activated/deactivated when you switch the key switch past the 'run' position. I know that doesn't happen on out bus but that really doesn't make any difference because I bet they aren't the same color either.
If you are traveling on I-40 through New Mexico we are right off the interstate at Exit 178. We'd love to have you stop by and look at your new bird.

Larry

Zuzax, New Mexico (Exit 178 I-40) 12mi East of Albuquerque

1956 PD4104 6-71T
1988 Eagle 15 CC Conversion
1983 Mack W Utility Bed Service Truck (road assistance in New Mexico)
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 07:09:17 PM »

I wish I wasn't so swamped with work.  I'd come up and see you.  I'm in Pleasanton, just 30 miles south.  I'm getting ready for a trip to Bethany Missouri Friday.  I need to get two new tires for my Eagle before departure.  We will be in the coach for 6 weeks.  Have a safe trip and do stop by and visit Clifford.  He's a wealth of knowledge.

David
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:32:44 PM »

were i you...see if these folks have time to give your coach a once over.Eagle Service Center for 50 years.

Krause Bus Sales & Service
(210) 534-6711

2301 Nogolitos Street
San Antonio, Texas 78225

We got our Eagle this week.  We are on our way home from Texas to California.  Staying in San Antonio for a few days.

Now we have Eagle questions.  The owners were really nice, but there were a few questions we thought we could get answers for here.

First, does the tag or boogie axle, raise and lower?  We didn't see any switches for it. 

Second,  When the key is turned past the on position, it sounds like a solenoid is activating something air powered.  Any idea what that could be?  It has a separate start button.

Third,  The rear seems a little lower than the front.  Is there an adjustment for that?  The rear has a little sway in it back and forth.   The suspension has been rebuilt recently,  have the receipts to prove it.

It's a great bus. The engine purrs like it should.  The brakes work great and it has two stage jakes.

Don  and Cary
1973 Eagle 05
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 07:50:35 PM »

Are there any web sites with photos of the areas in question?  We know every inch of the GMC,  but this is a different animal.  If we knew where to check we probably could tell if they are worn.  We need a picture. 

We were planning on going I-10 like we came.  How hard is it to get across to I-40?  We were planning on pulling out of here on Tuesday,  but that isn't exactly set in concrete.

The weird thing about the sway is,  at first it was bad.  Then we stopped for lunch and it seemed fine after that. 

Don and Cary
1973 Eagle 05
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 08:37:42 PM »

We dug through the receipts.  The torsiletts, spelled wrong I think, shackles, brakes, front spindles, shocks all around, tie rods, adjusting push rods, set the ride height, all the other parts for a rebuild were done in 2003.  I doubt they put 1000 miles on it since. The work was done by Jefferson Truck, Trailer, Bus in Oklahoma City,  Oklahoma.  It looks like they were told to fix what ever needed to be fixed. The bill was over $25K. This owner was very picky.

Does anyone know the company?

Don and Cary
1973 Eagle 05
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 05:34:01 AM »

We dug through the receipts.  The torsiletts, spelled wrong I think, shackles, brakes, front spindles, shocks all around, tie rods, adjusting push rods, set the ride height, all the other parts for a rebuild were done in 2003.  I doubt they put 1000 miles on it since. The work was done by Jefferson Truck, Trailer, Bus in Oklahoma City,  Oklahoma.  It looks like they were told to fix what ever needed to be fixed. The bill was over $25K. This owner was very picky.

Don and Cary
1973 Eagle 05
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

How hard it is to get to I-40 depends on where you are?  Where are you?  If you are still in San Antone then I-40 is north of you.  You can run west to Ft. Stockton and take #62 north to Lubbock, pick up I-27 into Amarillo.  #285 north to Roswell and eventually Vaugh isn't all that bad.  Farther out is I-25 north to Albq. NM, either way will get you to I-40. 

You have plenty of options. 

As for your second post, the nature of your problem is clear when you say .... "The work was done by Jefferson Truck, Trailer, Bus in Oklahoma City,  Oklahoma."  Send me a PM and I will tell you why.

BCO

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 05:48:05 AM »

I have deleted my original post and replaced it with the following:

Don and Cary
1973 Eagle 05
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

I know of several folks who have had Jefferson do suspension work on their Eagles and I have not **HEARD** of any  problems.  They are considered an excellent parts supplier for Eagle Bus parts.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:18:55 AM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 05:53:16 AM »

were i you...see if these folks have time to give your coach a once over.Eagle Service Center for 50 years.

Krause Bus Sales & Service
(210) 534-6711

2301 Nogolitos Street
San Antonio, Texas 78225

I went to Krause a year or so ago.  He no longer works on coaches.  He is exclusively doing school bus work only, now.  He said the school districts are less picky and don't care what the cost is. (Taxpayer money)

David
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:57:37 AM by David Anderson » Logged
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 07:03:04 AM »

Look at your invoice from Jefferson if the work was done 4 or 5 years ago it was done right Roy was still alive then and he was a sharp cookie on Eagles and your Eagle may just need a little adjustment new torques settle and a adjustment is required,25 grand he replaced everything,fwiw I don't think Jerry even does work on Eagles any longer.
He tried to replace Roy but never could find the right guy as Roy was a tough act to follow.
That's my story and I am sticking too it lol 
 Sorry I see you say 2003 it was done right Roy was still here then, check your fender well for height Roy set the Eagles at 46 inches from the flare he didn't use the 14 inches from the corners

good luck
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 07:13:55 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 07:25:15 AM »

The work was done in 2003.  I doubt there is 5000 miles on the rebuild.  We thought it might be some adjustment issue.  We have all the receipts from the original conversion in 1991.  Money was never an issue with anything the owner did. It spent most of it's time parked in Palm Springs.  There is less than 10k miles since the original conversion.  We feel this was a great find.

We really need to get home.  I think we will study the adjustment instructions when we get home.  We need to run down all the manuals for the Eagle.

Nice to know that the company that did the work was experienced with the Eagle.  Have to agree, that sometimes things can go bad with work being done.  We  just paid a shop $400 to hook up the tail lights on our truck so we could tow it and still had to redo them when we got it back.

Don and Cary
1973 Eagle 05
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 08:08:48 AM »

If your asking for advice I'll give it.  Get to I-40 and take Luvrbus up on his offer.  I wish he was my neighbor.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 10:01:09 AM »

Cary&Don, Congratulations ! We wish you all the best on your new journey. All the best!

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 10:40:23 AM »

We crawled up under there and looked around.  All the nuts and bolts on the suspension look bright and new.  The rubber bushings all look good.  The nuts on the adjuster screws are all tight.  We even have wheel balancers on all the wheels.  Wow.  There are nice new grease jerts in a lot of places.  Nothing looks loose,  didn't see any sign of things slopping around.  Maybe sitting for eight months without moving had something to do with it.  I think it got drove around the block once before we got here.  The power steering fluid showed a little low.  Don said it did improve with more miles.  We think we will decide if it needs to be looked at sooner or later after we get back out on the road.  Plan is to stay here two more days anyway.

LOVE OUR EAGLE !!!

Don and Cary
1973 Eagle 05
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 10:50:22 AM »

You will enjoy the Eagle they are easy to maintain and give very few problem and there is a good supply of parts for the Eagle.
Now we need to get you and Don into the Eagles International Club , over on the Eagles Board and at Quartszite in Jan to meet the other Eagle owners you will love the owners they have taken a beating over the years over their Eagles on these boards but most are like a Timex watch they keep on ticking regardless lol

good luck
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 06:29:56 PM by luvrbus » Logged

saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »

Cary and Don, setting in Santa Rosa NM,right now heading west on 40 tomarrow,not in any hurry, planing on swinging by Cliffords about the weekend, may be we will see you somewhere or if you decide to run 40 maybe we can meet up and have us a Eagle bus rally for a hour or so.
Matt

Box Elder,S.D.  Battle Mountain,NV

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 01:28:40 PM »

Deleted by moderators.

Have a Nice Day.

BCO

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:55:03 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 02:46:22 PM »

" I am pretty sure his project did not involve the suspension system"
 In all fairness to BCO, Jim, The Oct issue article was about a worn suspension. fwiw.  Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »

Congrats on your new purchase!  Eagles are great vehicles regardless of what the SOB's (some other brand) say.  We took mine out for a test ride today.  i forgot and left my coffee cup half full on the stove counter.  After driving up a down the hills, a couple tight turns, running it up to 75, then back down, and turning into John's driveway, the coffee was still in the cup, on the counter.  no other brands can say that i'll betcha.

i have an eagle manual, but originally got my engine and eagle manual from coach info.  kinda pricey, but i use them often, like this past 2 weeks. 

there  are good and bad stories about every garage.  i never had work done in OK, but there parts guy, Norris was great.  unfortunately, he too is retired.

You might try calling Craig and Eagle Motorcoach.  He has parts and does service.  I have gotten the parts, no service, but good advice and hints for free.  Prices are not bad compared to the Holiday rambler, stick and staple groups.

stop and see clifford (luvrbus).  he is awesome.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 05:03:18 PM »

Post deleted

Jim
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:20:57 AM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 05:18:43 PM »

Cary and Don, it sounds like your sway problem is not as bad as you first thought.  It sounds like you have done a good inspection and it all looks good.  

I am sure you checked tire pressure.  On the rear drive axle, a good starting place would be 90 PSI.  That is the pressure that Eagle recommends on a model 10 with 11 24.5 tires.  Would guess it would be about the same on most Eagles.  Also make sure that all four tires are the same make and series.  If not, they might have slightly different diameters and one tire could be carrying more of the load. As you make your way back home, be sure to check tire temperature with and infrared gun or with your hand.  Your hand will begin to feel uncomfortable at somewhere around 140* and the tires should be less than that.

If you still think you have more sway than you feel comfortable with (not much problem with Eagles - even in moderate winds), I would check to make sure the lug nuts are tight (both inner and outer).  I would also check to make sure the bearing clearance is not excessive.  I doubt that either would contribute much to sway, but they are good to check.

Bearing clearance is not easy to check.  You would need to jack up each side, release the spring brakes and then check side movement.  With that much mass, you will probably need a pry bar and someone looking for movement.  Best way, of course, is to remove the axle and reset the clearance.  That is not an easy job and takes a large nut wrench to do the job correctly.

As I think about this, I think we need to make sure we are talking about sway (top of bus moving sideways back and forth going down the road) as opposed to wander - where the steering has to be corrected a bunch.  If it is wander, then we have a whole new list of things to think about.

Just some random thoughts.

Now I am paranoid.  Hope this reply does not fall into the "know it all" or blather category Grin  Cheesy Wink

Jim
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:30:30 PM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 05:32:05 PM »

They have 1973 05 Jim it should have real tires 12rx22.5 lol unless someone changed those out

good luck

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 05:43:34 PM »

Ladies and Gentleman,

I'm not very good at debating topics and don't claim to be. I'll just make this short and to the point. No badmouthing of anyone is allowed, period. There are always two sides to every story, and we should be careful to judge to quickly. While Don had a bad experience, another will have a good one. I doubt that any owner of a business would survive if they constantly perform poor service.

Please keep this important thread civil.

A friendly reminder from a member of the Moderating Team,

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 06:49:16 PM »

I am fairly new to Esgle ownership, 1.5 years to be exact.  Just my experience with my Eagle, no sway at all.  It stays straight as a bullet even in cross winds. 

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 07:02:28 PM »

That is the way all Eagles are supposed to be Wayne probably the best money Don can spend is have a 3 axle alignment for his Eagle when right they are pretty much 1 finger driving  love my Eagles

good luck

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 07:57:36 PM »

i agree with dreamscape.  Childish comments need to be deleted.  BCO made a comment, Jim made a comment back and now it has escalated.  take it offline guys.  go email each other and let us help don and cary. 

Moderators, please delete the unhelpful comments so we don't have to keep re-reading them. 

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 05:24:38 AM »

Tom and others, I must apologize for my posts that offended you.  I have now changed them.

Given that the events in my life have reduced my ability to post constructive comments, I will take a leave on posting until I can get my act together.

Hopefully the modifications/removal of posts will let this thread get back to addressing the subject and help Cary and Dan get to the point where they can feel comfortable with, and ENJOY their great Eagle.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:09:33 AM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 11:41:51 AM »

if the swaying they were feeling was at low speed, it could have been a flat spot on a tire that rounded out after they warmed it up... Which would explain why it went away. My 2cents.

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: