Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 05:15:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus VS Fall Out?  (Read 3344 times)
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2011, 10:16:01 AM »

How well will my Bus and/or yours for that matter shield us from the (Japan) Fall Out?  Shocked M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:28:55 AM »

Just a guess, but I would think NOT!!

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 11:30:24 AM »

Just cover the whole thing in lead foil, you'll be just fine.

So far, I've only done the car.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:35:00 AM by Len Silva » Logged

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 11:31:42 AM »

Just cover the whole thing in lead foil, you'll be just fine.

No need to go that far, a tin-foil hat will be just fine.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 11:32:08 AM »

You want a quick sun tan? Why go inside Huh Tongue

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:32:42 AM »

First of all I doubt any of it is harmful by the time its crossed the ocean. However, if it is harmful, the primary risk would be breathing it, and we have to breath, so unless we live on bottled air for however long the air is contaminated, we better hope its a low dose. Second risk would be skin contact. Third would be water, plant and ananimal contamination, ie; Food.  

Your house is likely a much better barrier from direct fallout, but the Bus offers mobility, a way to escape to somewhere less contaminated. Wherever that is. With trace amounts now being measured in MA, I dont believe anywhere within NA is far enough away from Japan. The safest place right now is 100 miles WEST of Japan, like China. But as were talkin Bus, I dont think anywhere you could drive would be far enough unless its away from one of our own Nukes. Winds from Japan can reach from Alaska, all the way to Tiera Del Fuego.

I try to stay 100 miles minimum away from ours, and 200 miles minimum along most common prevailing downwind direction.

Oh, and dont take Iodine unless you know your actually getting contaminated or in a high risk area. Time to buy a Gieger counter? Could be the new fun toy of the 21st century. Wonder if there is an Ap for my phone I can download.  

Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:06:48 PM »

I wonder if The Big Bus had to deal with fall-out:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074205/
With the rising price of diesel these days, it may be cheaper to fuel it with plutonium.   Imagine, its half-life would certainly last longer than a tank of diesel.   Just don't use one of those wonderful Boiling Water Reactors that have a tendency to boil off all their cooling water . . .   (Weren't they designed by General Electric, the company that closed Crown because it wasn't profitable enough?)   So much for "We Bring Good Things To Life".   Maybe with the present events in Japan, GE's slogan should be "We Bring Good Things To A Half-Life (Of Thousands Of Years)"?   Thank you, Jack Welch, your legacy lives on.

Seriously though (!?), every time I drive on I-5 past Las Chichis, AKA San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station in southern Orange County, I'm reminded all too well that if there were a release of radioactivity from there, there's precious little that most people can do.   A friend of mine who lives near San Onofre already has bought iodine for his family, but he knows it wouldn't help much in the long-term.   Getting out of Dodge in a hurry may be the best bet, but if Hurricane Katrina is any indication the roads are likely to be completely gridlocked.   I always try to keep a full tank of fuel in the bus and never less than half a tank in the car, but would that be enough to do any good?

John
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:40:02 PM by Iceni John » Logged

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 12:37:41 PM »

I wonder if The Big Bus had to deal with fall-out:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074205/

The first film I ever saw at the cinema! I would have been five or six.

As for fall-out from Japan...today must have been a slow day if anyone's really worrying about that. Mind you, I don't think plutonium does stop being harmful just because it's blown across an ocean....

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 12:52:06 PM »

All I know is it will hurt if you fall out of the bus!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 12:53:39 PM »

What do you do for fallout?

Put it back and try again. Cheesy

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 01:18:34 PM »

Getting out of Dodge in a hurry may be the best bet, but if Hurricane Katrina is any indication the roads are likely to be completely gridlocked.   I always try to keep a full tank of fuel in the bus and never less than half a tank in the car, but would that be enough to do any good?

John

I could live near a fault line, I could even live near an area susceptible to Tsunami's. But not both. And I dont care to live anywhere near a nuke anymore. But to live near all three? At once? Thats really asking for it. While its easy to point fingers at Japans stupidity in building a nuke is such an area, the US is just as stupid. Were just not as nice.

If I were trying to escape from an area after a major disaster etc, I would stay completely away (read FAR away) from freeways, and cities/towns, and avoid bridges as much as possible. This isnt Japan. If the same thing happened here to a major city, there would be rioting on a level never seen. Most are too stupid to boil water or provide even basic survival skills for themselves.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 01:25:53 PM »

(snip)  Most are too stupid to boil water or provide even basic survival skills for themselves.

Anybody who doesn't understand that should just look at "the Katrina documentaries" ...

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 02:29:13 PM »

http://www.radiationnetwork.com/
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 02:38:11 PM »

deleted, sorry but I posted in the wrong place  Shocked
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:00:10 PM by happycamperbrat » Logged

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
blank

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 02:45:03 PM »

Anybody who doesn't understand that should just look at "the Katrina documentaries" ...

Thats actually what I was refering to. 
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 06:44:57 PM »

I haven't seen any pictures of looters in Japan. In fact I haven't seen a lot of any of the problems we saw here after Katrina. Even with the nuclear problems the Japs were far more ready for such an occurance than we would be. Prayers indeed. They'll be up and running again before California ever will be!!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
bs4104

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 08:28:08 PM »

Check out how many are in Ca. they are not talking about! & Why are the close down.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/nuclear/california.html        Bruce

102A3 N14 Auto Shift
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »

Check out Diablo Canyon! It is on the coast, near San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria California (not too far from Vandenburg Air Force Base too). They store nuke waste and use the ocean water to keep it cool. It is also earthquake area....

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 09:32:46 PM »

And all the atomic bomb testing put nothing in the air?

Settle down busnuts, and put your fears to work on more mundane issues like the maintenance of the coach, and relations with family and friends.

You will be killed by motor vehicle collision or old age, certainly not by hints of radiation floating in from Japan.

Next topic?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
blank

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 01:35:25 AM »

You will be killed by motor vehicle collision or old age, certainly not by hints of radiation floating in from Japan.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Most likely. Besides, where you going to run to?
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 06:44:19 AM »

I don't worry about it (after several years of working on nuke missiles and power plants)
Why? I don't want to be the last person alive on earth.

Big John

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 07:47:06 AM »

I agree, as long as we need to breathe there just isnt much we can do about this. But I dont fault the Japanese for putting their nuke stuff where they did, heck we do it too!

Is it really lame to create and store such a destructive power and have no way of getting rid of it? drrrr......

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »

Doesn't anyone have a real bus issue to discuss?? 
As BW said, we're all more likely to be crunched.  Me, probably by a truck going up or down a tight turn at the bottom of a WV hill, than radiated.

Train derailments, young kids driving gas and propane trucks, all are more dangerous and likely than nuke disasters. 

Change what you can, but live for today as your last.  i just lost another younger friend to an unexpected blood clot.  I'm not worrying about the Nuke plant down the road from where we're goin.

Anyone know anything about 5 speeds in a 740?  I'll ask again in a new thread. Grin

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 04:38:09 PM »

Doesn't anyone have a real bus issue to discuss?? 

What about a nuclear powered bus?   Wink

Now where talking....

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 05:25:05 PM »

Cyclops was nuclear-powered! Hence the earlier references to the 'Big Bus' movie.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 05:48:31 PM »

Anyone know anything about 5 speeds in a 740?  I'll ask again in a new thread. Grin

what may feel like an extra shift in a 740 is just the tc locking up.  depending on what your governed max rpm is it will be either at the top of first gear or the bottom of second.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 06:40:13 PM »

Lol Is there any way to eliminate the tires from chirping during lock up? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 07:24:58 PM »

I've had some issues keeping my power plant cooled on occasion also.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 08:34:35 PM »

What about a nuclear powered bus?   Wink

Now where talking....

Boy, then youll really need a Hazmat suit to dump the tanks. And a Gieger counter.

chchchchchchchchchchchchchchchchchchchch
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: