Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 07:21:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cameras instead of rear view mirrors?  (Read 3529 times)
pipopak

I am the 99%

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 01:10:25 PM »

I had another twist on this idea.  Mirrors are great for normal driving, but when backing out of the driveway, I was thinking about cameras. I found some neat little guys at the Advanced auto store.  They are actually made to go on the license plate holder, but I figured with a ittle modification, they could go about anywhere.  I thought about 1 pointing in each direction to the sides and back(at the back of the bus).  They have a little color lcd screen about 2-1/2" diagonal.  They only run about $100 each.  FWIW
Ed
I have one of those currently, image is excellent even at night.

Linux, when Windoze just will not measure up.
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 01:22:37 PM »

i have the $59 one from advance, not bad but it wipes out the wi-fi signal if transmitter is left on.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 01:36:30 PM »

i have the $59 one from advance, not bad but it wipes out the wi-fi signal if transmitter is left on.

Happens everywhere I work at Advance Auto Parts and the display for the backup camera would wipe out our inventory RF gun when it was plugged in.

Brice

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
LesBerg

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »

Regarding points #1 and #2 and #3

#1) - You are going to put the coach through a space so narrow that the mirrors are what is holding you back? I doubt that, most paid drivers can't get it through a space as wide as the mirrors, never mind narrower, and why would you want to?

Not that I'd install cameras just for this, but I worked at a diesel driveline shop in Austin Tx and the door to my work area had about 3/4 inch clearance on the mirrors on some of the larger cab-over trucks. It was a tight squeeze, and going from the bright Texas summer sun to the inside of the much darker shop made it very hard to see.

Cameras would have been nice a few times, but I think a ground guide or three is much more useful (and safe) way to maneuvering large vehicles in tight spaces.

That said - I'm planning on installing side and rearview low-light cameras when I finally get a bus. My night vision isn't what it used to be, and I'd rather be safe than blind.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 02:09:34 AM »

I use my backup camera all the time. Da Bus will definetly have one. Or two? I was somewhere a while back, cant recall, they had a small color monitor with four cameras feeding it and it was not a great deal of money, $100 some? You could watch all four, or scan all four, or deselect the ones you didnt care about and scan the ones you wanted.

But I couldnt see replacing the mirrors. Mirrors still work after the electric goes away. But you could suplement them, and you certainly could swing them in when in tight quarters and observe through cameras.
pipopak

I am the 99%

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 06:12:27 AM »

Had the $59 from Advance also before. It lasted about 4-5 months before the camera got toasted. Current one $100 from Pep is vastly superior.

Linux, when Windoze just will not measure up.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: