Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 23, 2014, 07:22:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Charge  (Read 3726 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2011, 04:44:41 PM »

I figured I would start a new post since we have a new issue...

I picked up the bus from Williams and now the alternator is not charging.  There is no dash gage, so it took the systems getting weak for me to realize it.  We took the alternator to an alternator rebuild shop.  They tested it and it works fine.  The only question would have been the voltage regulator, so we had them replace it ($30).  Reinstalled it and it is still NOT charging.  Absolutely nothing.  Just running on battery.

We checked the wires going to the alternator and there is no voltage coming in.  I am including a picture of the alternator.  It is 12 volt as the entire bus is 12 volt.

The wires lead to different relays and I do not know where to look for the problem... Ideas?

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 05:00:58 PM »

It looks like there is an unused terminal on the back of the alt. What's it supposed to do?...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 05:02:48 PM »

I have No idea.  By the way, ignore the newer of the two red wires, we ran that one as a bypass (to no avail).

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 05:05:15 PM »

I don't know if it was charging when we took it to the shop or not.  It did act up the day before they got it, but I didn't think anything of it.  NO alternator gage.  Only noticed the batteries dying with lights getting dim.

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 05:07:16 PM »

With alt. installed, does it have 12v at any terminal on it? Or is it not being excited...Cable

No 12 volt going into the alternator.  The wires read dead.

Charley Davidson

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 05:09:05 PM »

From the title of the thread I thought they did the work for free. Shocked
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 05:11:57 PM »

I think it needs to be excited.( 12v to alt). Can you run the gen set to charge the batts while on the road? Might get you home to friendly territory...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 05:14:34 PM »

I think it needs to be excited.( 12v to alt). Can you run the gen set to charge the batts while on the road? Might get you home to friendly territory...Cable

We are safe and sound here at Gary's and he has more privacy than we do.  I did run the genset to keep the batteries up enough to get here.  But I'd rather fix it here before driving it any further.  We will probably go home in the car and deal with it next week.

eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 05:18:23 PM »

I just looked at mine. It is a delco. I have 1 lug for the tach and1 for my main. My main runs to the hot side of my soleniod. It should be a prett short run to trouble shoot. Where is your main line going. I do know that mine takes a few miniutes to start charging.
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »

I notice you have a battery isolator.  have you verified voltage at the isolator?  A failed isolator will prevent you from getting any charge.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 05:24:35 PM »

Nothing at the isolator, but I figured since there is no 12 volt going into the alt, that it is not a surprise.. 

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 05:25:27 PM »

What if I just run a new lead from the hot side of the starter solenoid to the alt?

fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 05:29:34 PM »

That should excite the alt. if you connect to the proper terminal...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 05:29:53 PM »

Don't sweat it....charge your batts and run it home, set up a temp voltage gage so you can monitor things ( I have used a multi meter tied into the electrical).   KISS is the way to go, one of the advantages of a diesel is you don't need much DC to get it home, ( I'm guessing here but even DDEC can't use that much juice).   Finally as long as your generator is properly exhausted there is no problem keeping it running while you are OTR.

fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 05:37:54 PM »

Just remember, if the bus is not running, it could drain the batts. So be sure you can unhook it at the starter when off...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: