Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 08:06:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BUMPING TOPICS  (Read 3267 times)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2006, 07:24:12 AM »

I think this practice of bumping topics (especially rallies) needs to end.

It really is disrespectful of those who you push down the topic list.

There already is a sticky with events and information for anyone who wants it on the top of the first page.

Its one thing to bump it up the week before, but everytime it gets down the list is ridiculus.

Maybe I am the only one that feels this way?

I feel bad about starting this as I am bumping my own question to page 2. 

Anyway, just my opinion.....NOT trying to start a war...... Tongue

Cliff
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 06:44:15 AM by FloridaCracker » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 11:10:41 AM »

Cliff, I agree.  It's like trying to listen to the radio 3 days before an election, or logging onto AOL, there are 10 pop-ups staring you in the face. I thought that was the purpose for the "Calendar of Events".

It has become more like a commercial advertising forum than a bulletin board.

I made up my mind that I wasn't going to any of the rallys this year a long time ago, and no amount of notices/ads/posts, etc will change my mind. I'll probably attend all of them next year as my coach will be ready.

Also, an annoying distraction is the scrolling messages, I purposely skip any posts with scrolling messages.

I guess you can't please everyone.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 12:07:10 PM »

Cliff,

Thanks for the input!  We can discuss the fairness of bunping topics here on this thread...

Ok Members, Chime in on this one. Maybe we need a vote?

Let us know...

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 12:16:54 PM »

How about a poll then?
Richard

Cliff,

Thanks for the input!  We can discuss the fairness of bunping topics here on this thread...

Ok Members, Chime in on this one. Maybe we need a vote?

Let us know...

Nick-

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 12:31:31 PM »

I like the latest post thread being on top, but when there is a lot of board activity, a lot gets bumped to page 2.

Since I'm a busnutinfojunkie, I check the board every chance I get & I'll keep scrolling pages until I've made it past the posts that were left since my last visit.

But, I do have a suggestion:
I would like the rally stuff to be contained in the calendar thread. (bussin 2007 info is quite limited in the calander area, U gotta search all topics to get any details)

I'd like to see a concise heading for each event (a general info heading plus a seperate heading for each day of the event). That way all info for a given event is easier to find.

If the events threads are kept on the calander section, that is where people will go for event info.

Also, if I'm looking for something in the spare tire section, it would be nice for the seller to post when it is sold & it get removed to eliminate the clutter.

kyle4501

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 12:34:19 PM »

Cliff, and everyone else in this post,
I agree with you, and would like to see a poll of the other members.
I get a bit tired of seeing sometimes up to four or five of the same old posts taking up the first page. I don't mind the "sticky posts" but the constant bumping up does seem to get in the way of the standard questions.
If I want to go to a rally, I will be checking the calender. If I do decide to go you can bet I will not need a constant reminder of when it is.
Devin

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 12:36:21 PM »

I have bumped topics for other members,  usually after at least a day where I see a legitimate question has gone without any response.  Many cases it is for folks who are new to the board.  In my own opinion (2 cents?) that is one of the things moderators should do.  e.g., keeping an eye out for folks, helping get questions answered, etc. 

Is that the discussion?  Or, am I totally missing out on what is going on?  Shocked  More along the lines of topics being bumped by the topic initiator, and if they don't get  a response within a couple of hours, the topic is being bumped?

I may have missed something.   Shocked  Again!

Thanks all - just looking for additional details ...

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Ace

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 12:56:11 PM »

I would have to agree that the upcoming rallies and information pertaining to each of them should be put and kept up to date on the Rally information calendar page. Why have it if it will always be the first thing you see when you log on? I would have to agree too that the continuess scrolling of banner type ads about the rallies is becoming a bit much! 
Every now and then it's ok but EVERY one is not needed!

I'm sure the promoters of the rallies are trying to get the word out to everyone, and with the nearest rally a week or so away, if you don't know about it by now, then it's just too late! Your not really going to get any more coming to a rally by doing this. I would call people up that your sure are NOT coming and persuade them.

Bottom line...

Cut all the large scrolling banner type replies and add the rally info to the calendar with periodic updates![/size]

There's my nickel...  Grin

Ace
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 12:57:48 PM by Ace » Logged
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 01:03:34 PM »

Phil,

I have observed the kind of bumping you have done to help someone out, and that is a whole different thing.

I am talking about "Bumping" a topic with the sole purpose of bringing it to the top of the list.

Its a totally different thing if your adding news, comments, pat on the backs...etc.....

If everyone decided to "Bump" THERE topics, it would be chaos.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 01:17:12 PM »

Phil ...I agree with Cliff. It's one thing to bump a post that has not been answered but it another to keep bumping the rallies. I alway click on "Show unread posts since last visit" and the rallies are dominating the page, if I want to get info on a rallies I will look it up on the calander, I don't need to see it everytime I log into the site.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 01:35:29 PM »

The best bumping ruleset I have seen used in other forums is to require additional pertinent and functional information to be posted in order to legally bump it up.  Bumps without the addition of pertinent/useful information is deleted.

On the issue of the rally posts.  They don't offend me but it does make sense to put them all in the calendar section.
n4rsn

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 01:45:34 PM »

I wish you all would stop bumping this thread to the top.
HAARRRRRR !!!
Steve    Smiley
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 03:30:40 PM »

I like this idea:
The best bumping ruleset I have seen used in other forums is to require additional pertinent and functional information to be posted in order to legally bump it up.  Bumps without the addition of pertinent/useful information is deleted

Our Bussin' 2007 rally is on the Calendar and I don't keep bringing it up on the BB, unless there is a change or pertinent information to add(or delete).  I think evertyone who wants to attend knows about it or can look it up on the Calendar.  If they do not want to attend, I don't want to keep putting it in their face.  My 3 cents worth (Inflation!)  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Burgermeister

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 03:38:10 PM »

I avoid the bumping BS by going to the unread posts first

YMMV
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 07:43:24 PM »

I don't quite understand, Marc. Every post I read is unread. A little box comes up and says new, I click on it and read it. Once I read it the little box is gone. What other procedure is there?
Richard

I avoid the bumping BS by going to the unread posts first

YMMV

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: