Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 06:41:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tires have gotten expensive  (Read 4950 times)
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2011, 04:12:58 PM »

I just bought two Toyo's for my curbside drive axle on the eagle.  11R-24.5  They were $868.38 out the door installed.  I have been buying 2 tires every two years, but I deferred to three years since my last purchase.  This gives me 8 years for each tire.    I always put new tires on the steering axles and rotate the older ones to the back or bogies. 

When I bought my first tires they were $230 each installed.   I think the tariffs imposed on the import tires has raised the price a lot and of course the price of oil has a lot to do with it, too. 

New shoes for the coach are pricey Shocked Shocked Shocked

David
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:18:48 PM »

Your plan about 2 new tires every 2 years is what I am going to do as well. I just bought all new last year, so next year would be my first year doing that. I read just this last week of another bus nut pricing the exact same tires I paid about $230 for last year, at $400...... OUCH  Shocked no idea how much they will be next year.......

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:04:50 PM »

Hey guys I am trying to deal on a repo 2003 Prevost the po sold the tires off it would you believe 900.00 bucks each for Michelin 315/80/22.5 plus taxes,mounting and balance,found Toyo's in Oregon for 803.00 each total man that will make you nervous owning a bus lol 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 05:10:08 PM »

Same here, need to replace the bogies and got about the same price.  Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 05:13:20 PM »

Brat,

MORE!  Their greed is boundless.  And you are paying for that increase in shipping costs, as well.  Funny thing....I priced the Ni Cad bats for my Maketa 9V drill.  Really old school tool.  Cost 17 a few years ago and $20 last year...I think it was.  Yesterday they were $40.  FOR THE BATTERY.  One battery now and it wasn't even charged.  I passed!  So down to Harbor Freight I went and got a drill and bat and charger on sale for $24.  Boy o Boy are those Chinese fierce competitors!  Crimey!

Where does this end?  How, for the love of God, can anybody living on SS make it?  

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 06:03:54 PM »

$1,100.00 in California mounted for 2 and remount 2 new ones I have and put those on too.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 06:12:52 PM »

I just priced out tires for my trailer as they are 10 years old.  I was told a substantial price increase is coming when the distributor is out of the current batch of this tire.  Trailer tires are a whole lot cheaper than bus tires.

I dread buying new tires next year or year after for my bus.  I'm starting to save up now.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 06:15:56 PM »

I recently bought 2 11r 22.5's.  I think it was about $675, total for a Chinese brand.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 06:20:38 PM »

Boy my $2,300 for 6 Hancook's before Jacks was a good deal.
and i thought that was bad.

also diesel at 3.09 was bad coming home from Jacks was bad  Tuesday coming down to the eagle rally $3.69

will it ever end.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 07:31:30 PM »

also diesel at 3.09 was bad coming home from Jacks was bad  Tuesday coming down to the eagle rally $3.69

$3.69 is cheap for diesel these days.  $3.99 most places here in the Minneapolis area.  Almost $160 difference on a 525 gallon trip.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 07:41:33 PM »

Tonight on the news in Cally they showed diesel at $4.89  Shocked

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 10:22:53 PM »

I you're going to buy tires-do it now!  The price of tires in the remainder of the year are going up substantially.  Why-there is a shortage of tires.  What caused this? American big truck manufacturers sold about 250,000 trucks last year.  China sold about 800,000-which country do you think the tire manufacturers would rather sell to first?  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 12:33:50 AM »

Now Tom.  Far be it from me to take issue with what you have said.  But, I have another take.....  China made/sold 800,000 vehicles last year and we made/sold 250,000.  Our industry is coming out of the great "recession" and theirs hasn't seen that deep a rut.  We should have a ton of excess capacity and our rubber companies should be scramblin to cut margins and capture market share.  You know!  The good old days with the "wild west" and when men were men and the sheep were nervous.  And "bidness" made sense on the surface of it.

But that ain't whats happen'n Buba.  And I ain't talk'n bout the sheep being all laid back and relaxed.  We are just hiking the price with seeming impunity like we didn't give a hoot about market share.  Could it be...... I'm just a spitball'n now here....could it be that the tire companies have a share of those cursed price cutting Chinese companies and the domestic tire companies are making it with both hands and regardless of which hand the cash actually lands in first?  Maybe, you say?  Could be...possibly....just a chance. 

Didn't somebody really really important right here on our very own BB say that Michelin owned a Chinese tire company?   Why is the Chinese manufactured line the only one that doesn't carry the Mich name?  Mich makes tires in every country in the west and Japan and probably Korea.  Why would they hide their involvement in Chinese.  What tire company in China is hooked up with Goodyear or Firestone/Bridgestone or Goodrich?  Kelly big enuf?   Dayton?  Toyo?  Something is cooking and it isn't simply the cost of oil....do the arithmetic.

Rush said it is the teachers unions that are doing and he has proof.  i saw him wave that proof at the camera and heard him rattle the pages on his talk News show.   retch.    It isn't just fuel for our buses or rubber but more at everything.  We just gotta cut Social Security cause all those greedy seniors are gonna suck the system dry.  Save it by cutting it completely cause that is the only action that makes sense.

Tires?  arggguh!  We are circling the drain, folks.  What good is our bus going to do us if we run out of drivable roads and cross-able bridges.

Lets not forget that US Steel was running it's domestic manufacturing facilities, currently called the rust belt, into the ground and accepting greater and greater amts of Korean and German steel into the market at cut-rate prices.  Now the Chinese are forcing their way in with even cheaper steel and the price for that commodity has skyrocketed despite all this international "competition".  Remember when GM bought Opel and Chrysler bought Renault and since they own big chunks of Toyota and Nissan and here come the Koreans again and you will never guess who is the biggest mfr of autos in the world today.  China!   Brace yourself for some really big and short lived bargains.  No wait....Harbor Freight is still pounding the competition.

Tricky Dick saw the HUGE potential that China represented and he gets credit for opening up Communist China to western investment....though he claimed to be opening it up to Western competition at the time.  Again, it's the BANKERS.  Follow the money, Stupido.

Not to worry though cause the "right" people have us focused on the National Debt and deficits and balancing the budget and the ever popular "CUTTING THE FAT".  We are currently headed towards solving our fiscal problems with a meat ax to Medicare, the health care system, the Dept of Education, eliminating the Dept of Ag and the Pure food and Drug Admin.  Oh yeah..we are going to save a ton on eliminating the NPR.  Then we ax the PBS and the food stamp program.  We are on track to ignore the real culprits and if you open your mouth about it you are branded a cursed "LIBRAL". 

Don't get me started,

Guess

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
blank

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 03:09:03 AM »

As my wife is fond of saying, everything seeks its own level. There are always spikes when something like fuel goes up. But then the economy falters, people lose jobs, people buy less, or cheaper items, and then trucks sit parked. I dont think I would join the kneee jerk society yet. If tires are going up just wait a while.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 05:12:49 AM »

The thing that worries me about the price of tires on the buses are the owners trying to save money by using cheaper and smaller tires than the bus was design for.
I have no choice but to go with the 315/80/22.5 as the bus has 9 inch wide rims and the sucker is heavy the 315's are almost maxed out the front is real close 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: