Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 12:33:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tires have gotten expensive  (Read 4904 times)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 06:36:22 AM »

OTOH, in how many other countries in the entire world would owning your own bus for personal use not be the ludicrous idea you could think of?

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
zimtok

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 07:18:32 AM »

As the price of Crude Oil goes up so do the products that rely on Crude Oil.... (That means EVERYTHING)
ALL products rely on Crude Oil at some point...

Transportation is the most direct link we see but there are others...
All plastic uses petroleum, so all of the plastic packaging from the Blister pack that contains your individual product to the Stretch film used to hold a pallet of product together for shipping is relying on Crude Oil.

Tires are even more dependent of Crude Oil because the tire is made from rubber and that is made from... you guessed it...  petroleum.

If you think that going to alternative fuel vehicles is going to stop our dependence of Crude Oil you need to look around and see all of the products that we consume that are made from Petroleum....

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 07:37:19 AM »

You used to laugh at the prices we paid in Canada...

When our dollar was low.

Now your dollar is low, it ain't funny any more, eh?

US dollar has lost a lot of purchasing power, so things that come from elsewhere will cost more of those cheaper dollars, as well as the run on fuel.

The huge profit margins being squeezed tight due to economic conditions are a variable thrown in for further confusion.

Running a coach has always cost, and always will.

Of course we can choose a pleasant spot and put it up on blocks...

but then, the spot will cost too...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 07:39:07 AM »

Still lots cheaper than a comparable boat.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 09:22:39 AM »

still lots cheaper than a comparable boat.

you got that right no way can you pump 3800 gals of diesel in a bus at one time see how far go can go using 58 gals a hour @ 26 knots and cost over 2 grand a month for parking lol,but you don't need tires

good luck
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:40:13 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 09:42:09 AM »

My history book and Bible taught me that people used to sail around without petro....

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 09:45:58 AM »

Not this guy lol

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 11:32:30 AM »

My history book and Bible taught me that people used to sail around without petro....

Have you priced a suit of sails recently? Trust me, tyres and diesel are cheap. And I had no idea that there was any yachting in the Bible - I really must read it sometime.

Len Silva has it exactly right - the price of bus tyres may seem extravagant now, but don't forget that the idea running these 40 foot long, 10 ton+, diesel-guzzling monsters for your own selfish pleasure is essentially absurd. Rightly or wrongly, whether things are seen as being 'socially responsible' is going to matter more and more in the future. Governments around the world are already using punitive taxation as a way of guiding people away from (for instance) driving SUVs or going on long-haul holidays. It doesn't bear to think about the number of ways they could hit the private ownership of 30-year-old buses if they chose to.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »

A friend commented to me a few days ago that "a hundred dollars sure is not much money anymore,"  my reply was that depends on if you are spending it or earning it. Smiley

Rick

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
divinerightstrip

1990 Le Mirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 03:19:55 PM »

What do you gals and guys think about used tyres? There is a company near me that scavenges them from state vehicles with predetermined tyre life expectancy... That is, they are only allowed to be on the vehicle for a certain # of years regardless of mileage (I guess it is to protect themselves in this sue-happy society?) and then they must be replaced.

IMO this seems much better than retreading, especially since buses tend to sit around, which can damage the retread.

Any input??

The Bus Girl
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 03:51:18 PM »

If you can find good used ones at a dramatic savings, I'd say go for it.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 04:02:40 PM »

I have obtained used tires from a friend who runs transport trucks. 2 to 3 years old, virgins, 50% tread for $100 each. That was a couple years ago. The $100 was how much he would have got for the casings from the retreaders. That was great for me, because I don't use them in the winter.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 04:14:41 PM »

You used to laugh at the prices we paid in Canada...

How much are you pay for a gallon of diesel up there now days?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 05:08:43 PM »

belfert asks, How much are you pay for a gallon of diesel up there now days?

About $4.65/US Gallon in Creston, BC

About $4.53/US Gallon in Abbotsford, BC

These are from Flying J's website

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
LesBerg

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 06:02:16 PM »

I've driven from Boise, ID to Athol, ID three times in the last two months, and haven't seen diesel under $4 anywhere. Athol is running $4.25 and Boise was $4.10 two weeks ago.

But if I had a bus, I'd happily pay it. The roads out here are so bad they're damaging my truck. Three times in the last two days I've had the engine shut off when I hit a pothole. Having a bus would mean we wouldn't be out here living with my parents - not a bad thing overall, just that the roads are horrid and we're 20 miles to any job prospects in any direction.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: