Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 10:19:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hub meter hours  (Read 3388 times)
MCI-RICK

1986 TMC 102A3 6V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 07:57:03 PM »

Guess it's time to make the 4 hour drive to see/check it out.

Gonna make a list of things to check.

Aim high but look out below
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 09:52:48 PM »

I don't think I'd put much weight on what an hour meter says.  You don't know how accurate those numbers are.  Is it for a genny or the engine hours?  If it is the engine, how much of the time is idle vs drive time.  Many times the meter runs as soon as the "key" switch is thrown.  I would be more concerned with how much smoke I saw on a cold start up.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 12:30:40 PM »

Hubodometers could just as well be called lieometers.  Larger bus operators will often change them when the engine is replaced or inframed.  They also could have been replaced because they quit working or whatever.  They are generally used for the current owner's own records and have no relation to the actual mileage.  A dishonest seller will put on a hubodometer with low miles to claim the bus has lower miles than actual.

There are supposedly laws to outlaw attempts to tamper with odometer settings, but it is far too easy to replace an speedometer/odometer in buses that don't have integrated electronic dashes.  My speedo didn't work when I bought my bus and they replaced it with a random used unit.  The mileage had nothing to do with the actual miles on the bus.

A DDEC or other ECM can be a good indicator in relation to miles, but mine had either been replaced or the mileage lost somehow.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:09:46 PM by belfert » Logged

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 12:41:51 PM »

Rick, when you say it's a four-hour drive, I wonder if someone else on the board may be in the vicinity of the bus already.  Perhaps someone can take a look for you, and at least do a screening - to see if it's worth your time/effort to travel that distance.

I'd suggest -- if you want to - post a (rough) location of the bus, and see if anyone's nearby.  The northeast is full of busfans, as well as bus professionals (many of whom are also fans). 

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
MCI-RICK

1986 TMC 102A3 6V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 01:20:29 PM »

Ok.

The bus is located on Beach Blvd. Jacksonville, Florida.

If anyone is nearby and can take a look at it
 that would be greatly appreciated   Cool

Aim high but look out below
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 05:34:03 PM »

It seems to me that if you start up the bus engine and the meter starts "clicking", then it's monitoring that engine. If that happens when you start the genny, then it's monitoring the generator power plant. Like others have said, I wouldn't put too much stock in what is indicated on that meter, rather in how much smoking I see, how well it clears up, and how the engines sound. An experienced bus owners opinion is your best asset. Good luck.
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: