Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 10:46:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: transmission shift changed?  (Read 1727 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2011, 07:24:23 AM »

Now that we have the oil leak fixed, the transmission is acting up a little.  Seems like it now wants to shift from 2nd to 3rd at an rpm beyond the 2200 limit.  i have to ease up on the throttle to get it to shift to 3rd.  seems ok to shift from 1st to 2nd, and slightly higher rpm when going from 3rd to 4th.  Obviously, we had to disconnect cables when we pulled the engine, then dropped the transmission.  We had to re-adjust the linkage to get reverse working.  Don't know what to adjust in order to get the shift points back to "normal".  i'd like 2nd to shift to 3rd at about 1900 or 2000 rpms when i'm going full throttle.  This is an HT740 behind the 8v92ta.
Suggestions or instructions:

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 07:29:43 AM »

Tom, the modulator is out of adjustment ,cable runs from the throttle linkage to side of the transmission

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 07:44:48 AM »

Already somewhat guessed that it was out of adjustment.  I don't have a book telling me how to re-adjust it.  i'm not quite ready to take it somewhere to get it fixed until i'm sure it's beyond my ability, which Vickrey helped me see isn't quite as limited as i thought. Smiley

Know where i can get a manual or instructions?

Tom

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 08:02:42 AM »

Tom,you can download that section from Allison around 3 buck,I will post it for you tonight if you like or park some place and I'll mail it to you

good luck

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 08:48:43 AM »

we are parked, but email would be preferred.  i think my email is listed on my profile. 

where can i download it for $3?  i went to allison and couldn't find anything other than order and buy, but no prices, and darn few downloads except advertising. 

Thanks for the help.

Tom

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 10:44:02 AM »

Here Tom I'll do it here then everyone has it is a pretty simple process

Section 3 page 8  Modulator Valve Actuator Adjustment

1 place the fuel control lever( the pedal on the bus ) at full throttle position

2 place the mechanical actuator cable at full throttle position against the mechanical stop

3 adjust the clevis at the fuel control so the pin fits freely through the hole in the clevis making sure the lever is secure

4 total control cable travel should not be less than 1.187 in or more than 1.56 in

there you have it my friend that is all you are going to get from Allison no pictures sorry  

good luck
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:47:34 AM by luvrbus » Logged

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 06:33:51 PM »

I PM this to you Tom

good luck

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 04:54:24 AM »

thanks clifford.  if i can catch a break in the weather, i'll take a go at fixing this.  doesn't look that difficult, so maybe i can do it without Mr. vickrey's help this time  Grin Grin.  i always feel better when i know he or Jack, or Carl or one of you other experts is standing behind me, though.

Clifford, just a quick personal question.  Do you ever sleep?  Is there anyone in this business you don't know how to find or a part you aren't sure where to get?  I'm really lookin' forward to hearing this story this summer in CO.  Smiley

Tom

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 09:16:05 AM »

i'm kinda tired of being the one to point out and experience all the "duhh" moments, but somebody has to do it.  Embarrassed Embarrassed

I had checked for leaks and levels before we left GA after putting the engine back in.  Everything registered on the dip stick, and we had filled to what we thought was the right level.  i had checked tranny levels again later, but as i think back, we may have been drooping down hill.
In any case, i checked yesterday again, after calling williams to make an appt.  after running it around 20 miles at highway speed, the stick showed at the bottom "cold" mark, slightly above it.  So i pulled out the gallon jug and added 1/2 or so, then measured again.  Now up to the hot mark.

Took it for a test drive today, about 10 miles, starts and stops on a country backroad where i wasn't holding up traffic.  Everything shiffted exactly as it should have.  Grin Grin.

i cancelled the williams appt.  Smiley  These old ht740's are tough, but they work better when well feed.  Sort of like me, the well feed part anyway.

Tom

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 01:31:23 PM »

Bro,
    Glad you found the problem.  I experienced a similar problem when we first got our bus. Tranny was a little low on fluid and shifts were all messed up.  At least you should feel better when you head to Colorado next Monday.  Tell Sis Hi.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 06:32:13 AM »

Tom, Have a safe trip to Colorado. If I remember correctly you are coming out here to work in the mountains. Be carefull it is still winter in them thar hills. I don't remember the last time the ski resorts stayed open this late. I 70 is closed this morning on Vail Pass. If you get north of Denver you and Fran are welcome to stay at the house.

Wayne
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: