Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 02:18:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: update to air leak  (Read 1069 times)
coloradorich

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2011, 08:34:27 AM »

Well I am still at it. In my last there was a leaking air bag. It was replaced. Found more.
The Trailing Wheel Air Regulator was leaking ( replaced ). Then the Right side tag Safety Valve was dumping air ( replaced ),
When that was done found that the R8 Relay valve was dumping air also. Thought at the time it was dumping regardless if the
emergency break was applied or not. Replaced it yesterday. When air applied it was still dumping air, but not as much.
Started bus and had external air applied also ( the only way to get enough air pressure ) was able to release parking break, no leak.

When parking break was applied it started leaking again. Will be looking into other leaks today. All lines from the Drive Wheels back
are OK with no leaks. Think maybe the Push - Pull valve or even a bad Inversion valve. Still shooting it the dark. Any suggestions would
be greatly appreciated. Our time is getting short as we have to be in South Dakota in 14 days. Trying to work in a Campground is not
fun even with equipment available to jack it up and block it. Too bad no pit. Oh well!

Has anyone had any leaks in the air lines the run from the back to the front. That would be my last resort. There should not be any connections in the tunnels, at least I shouldn't think so. But remember my particular bus was built in Roswell NM by aliens so not everything
is the same as a normal MC8

One question on an off topic. How strong of a wind would it take to tip over a bus. Colorado right now is in a High Wind advisory with
gusts to 75 mph.

Thanks coloradorich

" Downhill Flyer Gravity is our Friend "
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 08:54:59 AM »

Rich,

Sounds like you have a ruptured park diaphragm in one of your DD3 brake chambers. You can test this by clamping the hose that runs between the inversion valve and the park diaphragm on each chamber. When you clamp the bad one, air will stop flowing out of the relay valve exhaust.

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
blank

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 09:28:34 AM »

How strong of a wind would it take to tip over a bus. Colorado right now is in a High Wind advisory with
gusts to 75 mph.

Thanks coloradorich

We used to dump them over to tear stuff off the belly. Using the tow truck to winch them over it took a lot of power. We would pull the front end of the tow truck off the ground if we got the angle wrong, and the truck weighed 7 tons. It was interesting that they had to get past at least a 60 degree angle before they would dump, they have a very low center of gravity for their size. A intercity coach are even harder to dump and with any weight in the bays even more so. I wouldnt be afraid of 75 wind gusts, I dont think 100 would blow one over.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 07:54:27 PM »

I have been wondering how you were doing with the "air leak" project was going.  Thanks for the update.  Sorry that you are having so much trouble resolving the problems.

Concerning wind issues, when parked, I think you are safe in anything but a tornado and even there a few of us have had discussions about what to do.  The prevailing thought is to abandon the bus in a tornado if there is a safe alternative (big ditch or strong structural building designated as a shelter.  We were at a Converted Coach rally in MN a couple of years ago and a tornado hit close by.  The designated shelter was a cinder block toilet building (do you die in your bus or the crapper Shocked).  Kind of gets your attention.

As far as driving, I would not drive in a 75 MPH wind.  Especially if it is gusting.  Too easy to loose steering control.  A couple of years ago, we were heading down I-25 close to where you are.  There was a big overhead electronic sign that said if your were oversize and caught on the road, you would be stopped and fined $500.  That area is terrible about gusting side winds.  I think it was in the 50-60 MPH range and it was white knuckles when I passed a truck - and my Eagle is pretty darn stable.  I was glad that they made us get off the road.  As usual, we were on a tight schedule and had to drive a long day the next day, but at least we were safe.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
blank

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 08:13:56 PM »

As far as driving, I would not drive in a 75 MPH wind. 

That would be pretty crazy to try. I assumed he meant parked, my bad.

Tornado is a whole different deal. If they can pick up tankers and heavy equipment, they can pick up a Bus.

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »

excellent report.

I agree, you have a burst parking diaphragm.

The good news, all those other components are now up to par.

If you open up the chamber, do the service diaphragm as well, then that one won't bother you for a long time.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: