Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 10:37:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: windshield washer pump air  (Read 2178 times)
christopher

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2011, 06:49:39 AM »

Does anyone know how to fix the air assisted windshield washer pumps?
Its in my 5c
Thanks'
Chris
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:54:50 AM »

What exactly is wrong with yours?

I have Sprague air wipers, so I guess I also have Sprague air washers.   The washers weren't squirting very effectively, so I replaced the wet-arm nozzles and tubing and cleaned the reservoir, and this helped somewhat.   My actual air-operated pump is a sealed unit that cannot be disassembled without breaking it  -  its plastic body appears to be welded or glued together.   I think it works by air from the push-valve forcing a piston inside the pump to push out one measure of fluid at a time, sort of like the push-operated pump dispensers found on shampoo and dishsoap bottles.   I assume there's a small non-return valve in there somewhere, and I think mine is leaking slightly which prevents a full discharge of fluid from the pump.

Like so much these days, it appears the pump contains no user-serviceable parts inside, so it has to be replaced when it "ceases to proceed" (to quote Rolls-Royce).

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
christopher

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 10:14:06 AM »

mine is the same way. I guess i will replace it with an electric one
I called mci, and they were a loty of $$$. not worth it
Thanks
Chris
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »

mine is the same way. I guess i will replace it with an electric one
I called mci, and they were a loty of $$$. not worth it
Thanks
Chris

I used my old submersible fuel pump (from my truck), for ours. The little ones from the auto store, didn't hack it. I ran nice rubber vacuum tube, for ours. Nice thick stuff. I have enough pressure, from that fuel pump (it was for a fuel injected truck Grin) to wash the front of the bus. I mounted auto sprayers, where the old ones went. I also put wet arms on the wipers. I love the setup now. Works VERY well.

That was BW's idea, and it was fantastic. Especially when I had one laying around.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 01:28:09 PM »

FWIW you can buy the universal ANCO 6501 electric washer pump kit with hoses, fitting even the the screws at Ryder Fleet for 10 bucks and use the jug off yours  

good luck
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:02:05 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 02:20:16 PM »

I looked at mine recently, and realized it looks pretty bad too!  Then I realized, I have no clue how to activate it?  I have a '73 GMC 4905, and I think there are three knobs on the dash, two of which I know operate the windshield wipers.  I have not really had the need for it, as to date I have only been a "fair weather" driver.

Steve Toomey
pabusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:03:30 PM »

I'm pretty sure my washer "pump" is just a solenoid on an air line.  The air somehow pushes the fluid out of the tank.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 06:53:21 PM »

Now I am going to have to look at mine too as when returning from Yuma over the mountains in slush my windshieod got so bad I had a hard time seeing the road. I pushed the washer button and a few drops squirted oput which gave me a little streak to see through. Thats the first time in since I owned the bus I needed the washer so will have to work on it this summer. Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 03:41:21 AM »

what would happen if you put the nozzles above the window instead of under?

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 06:42:58 AM »

My 5A has the nozzles on the overhang above the windows. They got plugged up,( probably from old age and lack of use) and when i tried to take one apart it broke off. No way to access the back side of them anymore so i mounted a new nozzle below the windshields.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 10:59:28 AM »

I looked below the electrical panel on my MCI-9 where the washer is and found I donít have anything except two tubes dangling.  There are four washer posts under the windshield and three nozzles but nothing in place to spray from.

Brice

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: