Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 11:09:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what qualifies one as a "bus Nut" ?  (Read 3602 times)
skihor

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2011, 03:47:45 PM »

My wife and I have been living full time in our MC 5A for 6 1/2 years now. I recently went to an auction to bid on a 6V92 replacement engine. I got a smokin' deal and felt good about it. Then the P.O. bus was next up and I won it. The bus, ( '69 MC 7), + engine went for what I was going/willing to pay for just the engine. Even more the wife is fine with it !!!??? She likes the idea of a 40' better than our 35'. So now if I can just convince/justify to her the cost of gut and rebuild all will be well. I hope...

Don & Sheila
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 04:14:26 PM »

Think you got it covered! It's a addiction

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 04:26:47 PM »

Don, You guys qualify hands down Grin Gald to hear you guys are still after it, oh you'll love the 40 footer Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 05:18:05 PM »

Maybe you're double nuts with a second bus... Grin

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »

Maybe you're double nuts with a second bus... Grin

Thanks for the coffee in my keyboard, that was funny.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 06:15:21 PM »

I thought it had something to do with my love of being on the open road and translated that from my love of being on a motorcycle 1500 miles from home. Maybe the adventure of being out on the open road with nothing but time to kill and new stuff to see. After finding this forum I am sad to say that it probably has more to do with a lack of intelligence!!! Cheesy Cheesy We all are nuts and everyone of you are idiots..... myself included!!! I just didn't fit in very well at the molecular quantum black hole big bang theory forum so here I is!!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 06:22:44 PM »

Well Don, I was going to "tell on you", but waited for you to come out of the closet Grin

As background, the auction was the one Don mentioned in another thread.  It was for the estate sale of Willie's Diesel in Nunn, Colorado.  There were four bus nuts there the first day:  Don, John Beste, Don Fairchild and I.  

It was the most amazing auction I have been to.  The first day was at Willie's house.  He had a huge quonset hut that was perhaps 100 feet long.  On two sides, the auction folks had set up tables that ran most of the whole length.  On one side the tables were crammed with Snap On tools!!! The auction started at 10:00.  When John and I left about 2:30, they were only 2/3 of the way down the tables on the one side.  The other set of tables had a variety of hand and air tools, many of which were top of the line products.

When Don called to tell me he bought the bus, I had to laugh.  I knew he would do it Cheesy Grin

Don Fairchild stayed for day two, but the rest of us could not stay.

Don, I assume you got all the logistics worked out and that the bus and engine are at your location.

Don Fairchild, if you read this, did you buy anything?  I did not buy anything, but John got a few items including a couple of Willie's Diesel coats and gave me one!!!  I will wear it with pride at the next rally I attend

Jim
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:26:54 PM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Charley Davidson

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:08:28 PM »

Did I miss something? Has Willie sold out? I know he was having trouble with the city, he was a cool old man and I liked rooting around both properties.

Where's all the oil rig guys gonna get their old stuff fixed?
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 04:35:57 AM »

Did I miss something? Has Willie sold out? I know he was having trouble with the city, he was a cool old man and I liked rooting around both properties.

Where's all the oil rig guys gonna get their old stuff fixed?
Willie passed on this past January/ He will be greatly missed. Last weekend an auction was held and everything was sold. The business is no longer. I posted here about it,  sorry you missed it.

Don & Sheila
MEverard

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 06:13:44 AM »

You don't have to own a bus to be a nut. Owning two, makes you nuttier. I look forward to the day when I purchase my second bus. Please don't tell my wife yet.

Mike

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA
blank

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 06:52:24 AM »

I just didn't fit in very well at the molecular quantum black hole big bang theory forum so here I is!!

I went to a party with a Lady friend, a bunch of people she worked with from Honeywell. As were getting out of the car she tells me I cant wear my hat. I'm like "excuse me", well she made a fuss that these are all people she works with and hats make me look hillbilly (she would laugh knowin I moved to Arky eh), etc., and gentleman that I am/was, I left the hat in the car and away we went.

So we get up to the house and there are the usual 125 odd guests, mostly business casual etc., and mostly odd, but over there in the corner is true Hillbilly Man. T shirt with sleeves torn off, jeans, tennis shoes, dirty hat with a worn bill, scruffy beard. He looked CRAZY. And horror or horrors, he was drinkin beer. From a CAN. While all the rest were drinking drinks in glasses and looking "oh so respectable". But curiousity got the best and I went over to chat with Hillbilly Man, and all I really wanted was a beer..... Your gonna laugh...

The man was a nuclear physicist. He worked a mile underground up in Sudan Minn, in an old iron mine. Down in that mine they had put tanks of water, which were nutrino collectors. A nutrino was at the time, the dark matter physicists postulated could make up the missing mass of the universe. 700  miles away, just west of Chicago, is a place called Fermilab, a nuclear accelerator, or atom smasher. The idea was they would fire high energy particles at the sudan mine, under lake Superior. If Nutrinos could be detected it would help prove the theory of dark matter.

We had a fun chat. While I dont have any physics degree, I could more or less keep up and found it all fascinating. I'm the only person I know who has toured Fermilab, so that helped. But the look on my friends face was unbelievable, and we laughed all the way home. Just goes to show, the people who look the most hillbilly might not be, and those who look the least often times really are.

So keep smilin, and dont forget to always wear you best raggy hat, it keeps em guessing.

As to buying buses and engines and going to auctions and all that. Do ya laugh when you look in the mirror? I'm in a car lot trying to fire up this MC5. The seller and his cohort are car guys. But somehow getting this Bus running, or even trying, is completely beyond them. There is just something evil that something that big dont have a key. Time to go put my old hat on and play diesel physicist. HAHAHAHA   
babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 12:36:36 PM »

I'm the only person I know who has toured Fermilab,

Art
  I used to go to alternative movie nights at Fermilab as younger man.  I had one friend who's wife worked there and another that was in charge of security for a while.  Still have friends that live next door (Butterfield rd) and to top it off my Golf cart came from Settlers hill golf course in Batavia.

Neat place
Brice

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 05:50:51 PM »

Let's try and keep this on topic guys....... Grin Grin

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 06:38:38 PM »

Let's try and keep this on topic guys....... Grin Grin

Someone once said, "We tell ourselves stories. We weave together different plot lines, wondering if the outcome of the story might be different were we to have done or said something other than what we had done or said, all the while knowing that the various alternative outcomes are just more stories - fictions meant to distract us from what's actually happening. And so we pause from weaving and commence breathing, gently and non-judgmentally saying hello to what is... "

6.5 years living in a bus?  No bout a doubt it ... Y'ouse qualify fer sure.

BCO

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 06:51:53 PM »

In our family it is the wife you need to watch she will buy a bus at the drop of a hat sometimes 2 at a time lol she is the nut

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: