Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 03, 2014, 12:36:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On the juice  (Read 3922 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2011, 05:50:38 PM »

Oh how sweet the end of a long project can be.  The honey colored go juice is flowing.  Got home and jumped under the hood and switched out the 3 way valves.  I bolted and soldered the new ones in and fired her up.  Sounded good, got my air pressure up and hit the switch.  No sputter and all seemed well.  I checked the vacuum gauge and it was pulling 3.5 Hg vacuum.  Awesome, I think?

Got on the road as my wife fired up the satellite so she wouldn't miss any American Idol, uhggg!  Hit the highway and flipped her over to the WVO system.  Nothing!!  No change no sputter no loss in power.  Mashed the throttle and went up to 75 for a minute or two then backed out.  Came to a stop and mashed the throttle all the way up to 75 again and backed out of it.  Then I just cruised my old 55 for about 20 miles.  Just kickin it at 55 while the sun was going down.  THe weather is extremely nice this week.  This will be the last of it I am sure.

Shout out to Divinerightstrip, she turned me onto the larger SV200 valves from Greasecar.  They are high dollar but they got some flow to them.  DVR thank you very much.  I do hope someday I'll go northeast or you southwest, Shiner Bock is on me.

Shout out to Neoplan, thank you for turning me onto the surge tank idea.  I like it, it works and it made a lot of sense after I got my mind wrapped around it.

All others who chunked a tidbit or two I thank you all as well. 

Oh how I love the golden juice Grin

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:26:51 PM »

Now you gotta teach her to run on snake oil...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
Charley Davidson

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 10:02:25 PM »

Funny, that's what I call it to "On the juice" Too bad I missed the part about the bigger valves as I had some and 3 or 4 12v solenoids, I forget the name at the moment but they weren't too awful expensive.

Glad to hear your on da juice, don't forget to purge before shutdown.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 11:00:39 PM »

OK, Now I am really getting impatient and chomping.....

Great news from you Wal.  Simply great news.

I guess you will still be making Bio for the winter and to cut you #2 tank for the cheaper switch over befor shutting down.

Are you doing anything at all with WMO?  Future plans?

I read a thing the other day that said that "large" D combustion  chambers run too cool to allow burning WVO.  Now just how many thousands are doing just that?  Wonder what they mean, though.  Always a kernal of truth in every lie somewhere.

Great news...again.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 03:41:25 AM »

Hello Johned,  I still have to make the bioD for the tractor, lawnmower, the Excursion, the bug and the Jetta.  I store the oil in 300 gallon totes.  I draw off of the top after settling and that is what goes to the bus tote.  What comes out of the bottom of the totes goes to the bioD factory in the opposite corner of the barn.  Settling and drawing off of the top will save a whole lot of work trying to dewater and filter.  We are standing on top of a huge centrifuge called earth.  Gravity is friendly magic when it comes to water and particulate matter in your oil.

Johned you say you are chomping at the bit.  What is wrong with your bus?  When your ready I have a parts list for conversion.  Of course it is in my head but I can write it down and get you started when your ready.  That was the probably the toughest thing for me was not having a "Been there done that" person helping my here at the house.  Standing there and pointing is one thing, typing it is another.

www.snakebreaker.com
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 04:19:05 AM »

I'm starting to feel regret for selling my WVO Jetta--as diesel climbs above $4/gallon in my area!? Huh 

Maybe i won't sell all my WVO filtering stuff just yet!

Steve Toomey
pabusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 05:42:15 AM »

Hello Johned,  I still have to make the bioD for the tractor, lawnmower, the Excursion, the bug and the Jetta.  I store the oil in 300 gallon totes.  I draw off of the top after settling and that is what goes to the bus tote.  What comes out of the bottom of the totes goes to the bioD factory in the opposite corner of the barn.  Settling and drawing off of the top will save a whole lot of work trying to dewater and filter.  We are standing on top of a huge centrifuge called earth.  Gravity is friendly magic when it comes to water and particulate matter in your oil.

Johned you say you are chomping at the bit.  What is wrong with your bus?  When your ready I have a parts list for conversion.  Of course it is in my head but I can write it down and get you started when your ready.  That was the probably the toughest thing for me was not having a "Been there done that" person helping my here at the house.  Standing there and pointing is one thing, typing it is another.

Oh I forgot about your WMO question.  I use it sparingly.  I filter it and drip it from one container to another with the drips hitting a magnet.  When I fill up anyone of my vehicles I put a little in the tank.  It is a good way to dispose of the used oil, create superior lubricity in the fuel system and adds to the long term savings of fuel.

www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 05:54:09 AM »

There could be some truth about the too cool to burn.  I don't quite see it that way but hey some could be right.  I think what you were reading was involving fuel passing the rings and contaminating the motor oil.  It is a concern of mine and hsould be for others as well.  To comabt that let's say on my Jetta, which calls for a 10,000 mile oil change interval.  I change it at 5,000.  I will develope a plan to do the same for the Eagle.  I don't know what that will be but heck, I have plenty of time now.

I believe I will be fine as I will probably be  using a 10% Pump diesel and 90% WVO mix through the 2 tank system.  I have to run some miles before I find out if I need it or not.  It would certainly help the flow of the oil and I would imagine up the explosive reaction in the chamber.  We shall see, the main thing is we are off the $4.00 a gallon pump diesel teet. 

In the main tank I will probably run 50/50 or 25/75 diesel and bio D.

www.snakebreaker.com
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 05:57:21 AM »

wal1809 said; Johned you say you are chomping at the bit.  What is wrong with your bus? 

Johned, did you buy a bus?  I hadn't heard.

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 06:45:57 AM »

wal1809 said; Johned you say you are chomping at the bit.  What is wrong with your bus? 

Johned, did you buy a bus?  I hadn't heard.
I don't know if he has a bus or not.

www.snakebreaker.com
blank

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 07:06:03 AM »

There could be some truth about the too cool to burn. 

I read somewhere a while back, about some engines forming coke deposits because the WVO was catalysing in the combustion chamber. You know anything about that? I would imagine, that to get optimum combustion you need different injector nozzles and different timing.

With anything new there will be new problems to surmount. The easy course is to stay diesel all the way, no muss, no fuss. But using a resource that is readily available, using it twice in essence, is smart. Glad to see some pioneers working it out.

Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 07:39:11 AM »

Yes isn't it great to no be using all that high priced stuff. I got mine going last fall with Omar valves and used it to go to Yuma. I only had abaout 10 gallons left when I got there so gat another hundred plus  scrounged up and made it just north of Wells before I ran out and had to switch. I find no problem with Omar valves as would still do 75-80  ok Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 08:08:37 AM »

Bio-Diesel (home made kind) costs WAY over $4.00 a gallon when you consider all the equipment you have to buy.  Also you should figure at least $50.00 an hour for your time involved with collecting, filtering, etc the fuel to the point of it being usable.

Just how much did that Bio-Diesel system cost to install in your bus-and how long did it take to install and get running correctly?

Now-if you were running 120,000 miles a year (like most commercial vehicles do) I'd say it was well worth it.  But at our low mileage per year (how many do anything more than 5,000-10,000 miles per year).  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 08:31:34 AM »

Hello TomC I have answers.  I spend 1 hour total for each collection stop.  That is always mixed with another reason to go to that location, example- I work an extra job as basically a security gaurd in the city.  I do this every Tuesday night from 10 PM to 6 AM.  I have an oil collection barrel about a mile from that job.  I hook onto my trustee Super Sucker collection trailer and leave about 20 minutes earlier than normal, collect the oil (3-mins).  So that way I did not spend 50 miles worth of bio diesel to collect 55 galons of oil.  I was already headed that way anyway.  I try to double up my collections at all stops to avoid spending solely to collect.

I spent less than a $1000 to build my processor.  In my calculations that is 2, maybe 3 fill ups on the bus or 20 fill ups on the Excursion.  After that I am in the savings.  That was 5 years ago.  400 gallons a month x 12= 4800 gallons a year x (now prices) $3.80 a gallon = $18,240.  I assure you I have not spent that for bio diesel, not even close.

The bus system I have not factored but a quick run down is $60 for surge tank, $60 for bracket for the large holding tank, Large holding tank was free BIL favor, $300 for valves and lets step out there with $200 for fittings, hoses and filter.  I would say the cost of 1 or 2 pump fill ups paid for the whole 2 tank system.

www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 08:33:44 AM »

Yes isn't it great to no be using all that high priced stuff. I got mine going last fall with Omar valves and used it to go to Yuma. I only had abaout 10 gallons left when I got there so gat another hundred plus  scrounged up and made it just north of Wells before I ran out and had to switch. I find no problem with Omar valves as would still do 75-80  ok Jerry

I tried the Omar valves and I got a restriction at the valves.  They are a lot cheaper (still a great quality valve) but I had to go with the Greasecar valve.  Cleared the restriction right up.  I will use the Omar valves for the Excursion when I regain the urge to break into another huge project.  Let's see that will be after completing the pontoon boat refurbish job.

www.snakebreaker.com
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: