Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 06:07:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updated....how to get out of a minor sinkhole....  (Read 6828 times)
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 10:01:17 AM »

Ouch! That doesn't sound like any fun at all.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 11:21:55 AM »

I will see if my internet will let me get a couple of pictures up.

We were on a regular city street. Is what happened, is there isn't drainage, in this town. Well, with all of the melting, and the roads not being built write, it just decided to give way, and took us with it.

The locals were VERY friendly. We were certainly blessed to get stuck at that little town. They were also VERY helpful. The wrecker couldn't have gotten us out, if it weren't for the locals.

Coachnet said that it was a recovery operation, so they wouldn't cover it. I am going to go to bat with them, when we get back to the states.

We were VERY blessed though. No major damage to the bus. We were seriously thinking that the bus would be scrap. When we were working on getting it up, the frame was being racked. We ended up, dragging it out. We had no idea what would happen, but we were out of options. As firmly as it was stuck, we expected we could lose an axle, rip something, who knows. This was after we had spent hours exhausting every other possibility. The wrecker (tandem axle semi wrecker) wasn't able to pull us out on his own (he was sinking too). So the locals chained their very large wheel loader onto the front of the wrecker, and it was just about everything both of them could do to drag us out. They got us out of the whole, and we plowed asphalt for about half a block, before we were free.

It all turned out well. Just a broken windshield, and a door that doesn't latch right. I was expecting stress cracks on the frame, but I haven't seen any yet. Those tow hooks that are on the front of MCI's are STRONG, that is what we hooked up to. The Canadian mountie that came out, was super friendly, and stayed the whole time (accident report is funny). We had people in lawn chairs drinking sodas and watching. There were probably ten locals working on it, the town "mayor" came out. It was the most excitement that little town has had in a long time. The people were all SUPER friendly and helpful. That was THE place to get stuck. If it wasn't our bus, I would have enjoyed the whole operation Grin.

We had to flush the front passenger bearings, last night, because grit got in there.

Okay, now to try to get some pics up.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
John316

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 11:25:29 AM »

Both front and back passenger axles were sunk in.

John316

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 11:30:34 AM »

I will get more pics up of the wrecker, and the rest of the process, later on.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:35:15 AM by John316 » Logged

lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »

What town, province were you in?

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 11:36:23 AM »

I dont know if you would want to do this, or what the Canadian laws are...... but I do know that in San Luis Obispo California you have 6 months to file a claim with the county if there is damage to your vehicle resulting from pot holes...... this kinda puts "pot hole" on a whole different level  Shocked

This thread with all the guessing going on, shows a lot about those of us who took shots at guessing. It shows our own worse nightmares! Jim's nightmares are funny  Grin

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
John316

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 11:43:38 AM »

JC, we were in a little town outside of Medicine Hat, Alberta.

Brat, we could see what we could do with them, but it was a tiny town. They don't have money, and we are very blessed that we still have our bus.

We wondered if the city could try to sue us, but I really doubt that will happen. In fact the local "code enforcement" guy told us that he was going to tell us not to pull onto that part. So they knew, and didn't have cones around it. Oh well, it all turned out well.

Seriously, though, we didn't know if we would get it out with major damage. There was that potential.

But, once again, we are very blessed. The locals were SUPER friendly, and had the equipment that was needed. The wrecker driver was a pro, and got us out with VERY little damage, compared to what it could have been. It gave the locals something to talk about, and they had a great time.

It was also fun to see what others thought was the worst case scenarios. We are blessed.

God bless,

John

John316

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 11:45:14 AM »

This was the firm side of the street. I think I have pics of the deep part. It was broken up like this, when we were done for half a block. It was a mess.

John316

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 02:28:45 PM »

One other thing....

I am so grateful that we have a bus. Seriously, I doubt that a S&S would have made it. That little episode tested the frame, pretty well. So far, when we have inspected it, we haven't seen any issues.

So if you want something tough....GET A BUS!!!

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 03:51:41 PM »

John. It looks like it was under construction. In the states it is the contractor that would be liable during the construction period. Glad it worked out with minimal damage! Sure got a story for busnut gatherings.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
John316

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »

Actually, Bob, there was no construction. No warnings. Nothing.  Looked like a regular city street. Wasn't. Lol

God bless

John

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 05:44:46 PM »

Just happy that it's out and rolling along again. You have a great outlook John. Hopefully all will work out on the $$ end. If not you have a great story and the pics to prove it!!!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 07:28:11 PM »

It might be a good idea to take it up to Big Rig Collision in Calgary and get the underneath checked out.  I had a wrecked bus repaired there once (160K worth!) and they did a good job.  They know what they are doing.  Major coach rebuilders.  Speak with the owner, Brad, a good guy.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 06:21:27 AM »

John, your lucky that model of MCI has a frame if it broke the windshield I would follow Boomer advice and let Brad or Sam check it out for you the damage may not show up for a few years then it will to late for a claim he is a nice guy he walking James through replacing a section on a Prevost over the phone and it is looking good

good luck
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:24:23 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 07:09:16 AM »

it looks to me kinda like normal break up time in alaska... with ground thawed out under the vehicle and still mushy. Canada would be the same depending upon the location...For 4wd pickups n trucks, in my business n alaska, i carried various jack n plywood n boards up to 4x6 in case i got stuck cause i frequently went off pavement. (not much of that in the boonies...) That being said, a 45' bus would take all day to jack up one side,... and 6x8 or so lumber... and one would have to dig to china for the first holes for the 30 or so ton jack...  but i've only been buried with my 26000 lb box truck in AK... much less work than this accident. Glad that i don't have to do that anymore cause im 66.

(Well, almost.. I got an asphalt roller stuck two days ago when i brought it here to repair it for a customer... Grin )

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: